And people fall for this?

Kilter

Found a site today that is a puppy mill north of us. Ok, either puppy mill or larger scale byb, your choice on that one.

They even say they aren't a puppy mill because the dogs aren't in small cages. They have large outdoor pens (6 by 8) and a large play yard that they get to several times a week.:rolleyes: And they whelp the litters in a room in the house with four stalls, hoping to expand soon for more spaces.:(

And my fave part, they will give you credit towards a puppy if you build them doghouses - must be snow/weather proof, off the ground so they are warmer in the cold, and for dogs that are 14 inches tall. :yikes: This is central/northern Alberta (Canada) where they are located.

And yes, they sell the older dogs, but it's not a puppy mill, because puppy mills dump them in shelters and they sell them.:rolleyes:

YodelDogs

The media typically descibes and shows photos and videos of the worst case puppy mills. The general public may not be aware that puppy mills come in varying degrees. Some of the largest commercial breeding facilities are clean and uncrowded. The dogs receive regular grooming, vet care, and decent food. The dogs are not abused or mistreated but they are typically neglected in the form of interactions with humans and lack of socialization. All of this does not change the fact that they are a puppy mill, a place that breeds dogs like livestock with the sole purpose of generating profit. The general public may also not be aware of mini-mills, smaller scale operations usually run by BYB's who expanded into breeding numerous litters a year for profit. Sometimes the dogs are well taken care or and sometimes they are not much better than "dirty" mills. I strongly encourage people to find a responsible, ethical breeder but some people are going to do what they want to do regardless of whether it is the right thing to do or not.

Lyzelle

I might be able to do you one better. There's a place in Collierville, Memphis, TN that sells puppies out of the wazoo. They boast of having over 100 different kinds of puppies at all time, purebred and designer dogs. Very, very OBVIOUS puppy mill.

Best part? It's partly a vet clinic. They have those glass display cases for the puppies in the lobby just like they would at Petco for rabbits or something.

I might be able to do you one better. There's a place in Collierville, Memphis, TN that sells puppies out of the wazoo. They boast of having over 100 different kinds of puppies at all time, purebred and designer dogs. Very, very OBVIOUS puppy mill.

Best part? It's partly a vet clinic. They have those glass display cases for the puppies in the lobby just like they would at Petco for rabbits or something.
Didn't 60 Minutes or one of those types of shows do a segment on them? Puke.

In my book they might be worse -- they KNOW better.

They all know better, but they REALLY know better.

Members online

No members online now.