Fran's future puppy thread.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
The dad is my dream dog! <3 And I'm not usually a fan of red Merle but OMG that mom! So gorgeous! I can't wait to see babies!!!

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Congrats! I hope you get some flavor of red, merle or no! I love red Aussies. Are you getting a boy or girl? And are you gonna do any showing/competing in addition to service dog work?

And I'm pro-dewclaws LOL. Tails I could go either way about but I like me some front dew claws and having seen tons and tons of mixes with their front dews on at daycare, and only having 1 (out of literally hundreds) get injured, I think that MOST dogs' dewclaws are well attached.

I'm not like opposed to removing them for ethical reasons or anything, but personally I like my dogs to have theirs and I can tell you they use them all. the. time. Cardis' dews are traditionally removed but Keeva's breeder left 'em on and Keeva says thanks First Mom, now I can hump New Mom's leg even better. I've also seen her use them to turn, and they stay pretty well worn down which is just further proof they get good use. So yeah, I think it's cool she's leaving dews on and I doubt you'll have any trouble with them.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Gorgeous! I absolutely love the mom, back when I was looking into getting an Aussie (before my mom changed her mind), I was looking at Oracle Aussies and she was the one who caught my eye. I can't wait for pictures and I'm sure you're just beyond yourself with excitement! :)

Toller_08

I am so excited to see your puppy, Fran! The parents are both so gorgeous. I hope you get a little red (of any kind) puppy, too. I love red so much.

As for the dewclaws, they're kind of a pain to trim (awkward angle and I have a squirmy dog), but otherwise I haven't had a problem with any of the dogs I've had with dewclaws. My grandma's one dog did tear his twice and then had to have them removed, but overall I don't feel that that's the norm. I've had a fair amount of dogs with dews and none of mine ever had a problem. Not all of them used their dews very much, but a couple did.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
All of my dogs have their dewclaws, and the Aussie mix is the only one I wish didn't :p He injures his quite a bit, but I think it's also because they see a lot of use when we're playing with the ball and frisbee. Knox regularly runs the backs of his rear feet raw (on GRASS, good lord) and reminds me of Steve a lot lol.

Oz though, has nearly ripped his dews off a couple times. If I'm throwing it on anything but a springy grassy surface he wears skid boots.

Grab

One of the vets and I have discussed dewclaws...of all the toenail injuries we've seen over the years, none have been dewclaws. Some of my dogs have dews, some don't. I don't have a preference either way. I'd never had my dog's dews removed as an adult though..which is really common here for some reason.

Teal

...ice road...
My dogs have their dewclaws. The sighthounds use them to take down prey. I don't see any reason to remove them. I did have a dog who tore hers off constantly... but it was never a problem.

Saeleofu

Logan has his dews and has never injure them. They do get in the way of boots, but that's only a minor inconvenience. There was an article around here on the benefits of dewclaws and/or the detriments of removing them, but I'm dying from lack of lsepp and can't evne begin t otry to find it at this point.

Doberluv

Congrats Fran! I'm so happy for you that you finally found a puppy. The parents are gorgeous. I bet you're beside yourself with excitement. I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures when you get yours. Is this going to be your service dog?

CaliTerp07

I just googled aussies with tails and sifted through the images. Oh my gosh, I love it! I hope yours gets to keep it left on (unless you need it removed for service dog reasons). So cute!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
It's up to the breeder (tails are done before the pups are old enough for temperament tests) but if the right puppy for me is a mismark and gets to keep her tail.. I'll be really happy :) I like the tails as well!

trying to prove to people that she/he is in fact an aussie, and not a border collie.. is going to be interesting though lol

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Just got a 30 minute lecture from the person who we HIRED to help with my future SD training because I want to use a collar on my dog.

Not a shock collar, not a choke collar.. A REGULAR FLAT COLLAR.
Thyroid issues, neck injuries blablabla.. I'm not going to use the collar the wrong way or yank the dog.. I just like collars better for everyday!

He is very knowledgeable and I do like the curriculum he has set up for us.
but there are days when I want to punch him in the face.
Last time he went on HIGER THAN THOU lecture mode because I used the word COMMAND instead of CUE.

Give me a freaking break.
I want to be TAUGHT ..not scolded or corrected like a child.

GRRRRrrrRRRrrR

RD

Are you dead yet?
That's weird that you get lectured about collars. My dog always wears a collar, and if you're not yanking on the leash and your dog isn't lunging and hitting the end of the leash like a maniac I don't see the issue.

And I still say command instead of cue.

Saeleofu

I use a collar. Works better for me, as I use the harness for actual assistance stuff. He's trained to NOT PULL on the collar, and DO PULL on the harness. I only prefer harnesses on tiny dogs, and even then if you ever want to compete in obedience or rally with them they MUST be in a collar, NOT a harness.

So, somewhere down the road would you like to dabble in obedience or rally? Then the dog will need to wear a collar.

I almost always say command. Cue, to me, is more the actual movement or word I associate with the command, and the command is what I actually want the dog to do. Maybe that's just me, though.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I use a collar too. At first when I read that I was like, whut? where does the leash go? Then I realized you probably just attach it to the harness. Dur. lol

Oh my gosh the parents are GORGEOUS. I love the expression on dad's face. He's really sweet and beautiful looking. <3 Mom is so pretty too. I'm so excited for you. :)

Maxy24

Those dogs are absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to see what your pup looks like.

As far as collars go, Kikopup just came out with her article on why collars are bad so I'm guessing your guy read it and that's why it was top on his mind. I put Tucker on a harness for walks (mainly because he is one to try and drag to something he wants to sniff and if he has a reactive episode it gives me a lot more control), but no way I'm going to work to get that thing on every time he has to go potty in the yard.

Red.Apricot

Late to the dewclaw discussion, but Elsie has her front dewclaws, and she does use them extensively. Zobby uses his, too.

Elsie split hers when she was 10 weeks old, but other than that has never injured them. I nail-polished it back together, and there were no further issues.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Fran, I REALLY think you should get a swimming pool. I mean, they spammed your thread THREE TIMES. It's fate. Just, not from them :p

Members online