Playing with the food bowl..

Fran27

We have a pretty large food bowl that both dogs have access to all day with water (it's two bowls on a support actually). No problem with Boris, but Tips loves playing with it, and use it as a swimming pool (well, at least for his front paws). Using a small bowl is even worse because he carries it around.

Any idea how to get around it? I have to refill their water every hour and the floor is soaked...

Barb04

Super Moderator
I have to use the metal bowls that have a rim that goes down to the floor so it can't be tipped over or picked up. The ones with a rim at the top can be played with easily.

Some friends of ours have one of those waterers with the big bottle that sits inverted and burps out water when the level in the attached basin gets too low. It's pretty much impossible to turn over, and it certainly can't be carried around, lol!

Shiva loved it when we were visiting . . . Actually, she took over it, lol!

I started with regular bowls that where around the house, but they got tipped over and carried around. I tried the metal bowls that go all the way to the floor somehow those got flipped and carried around and the rubber ring got torn off and was no longer a silent bowl. The ceramic bowls work great but he pushes the bowl around and flips food, at least it no longer gets flipped and carried.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I bet they just want to keep you busy. Maybe they think you looked bored and need something to do before you get into trouble. I bet they want to take care of you like you take care of them.

avenlee

Sadie will stick her paw in the stainless steel water dish and roll it when its empty. On the tiled floor echo'ng accross the floor. The water dispenser thingy that Renee explained seems to be a solution for you. Barb has a good idea too (which I might try too :) ) It may just be what they feel the need to do :rolleyes: Sometimes you can't teach a dog new tricks no matter how old they are, lol.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I use a raised feeder, so the water dish fits into the feeder and they can't carry it around or move it around the kitchen.

Years ago when Farley was a pup I had the same problem. At the local farm supply store I found a bowl that had a recessed cap in the bottom. It was made so that you could fill the inner hollow recess with water and then close the cap, turn it over and fill the bowl with drinking water. It added so much weight to the bowl that he couldn't pick it up, tip it over or even move it across the floor. The only drawback to it was that it was plastic which I personally don't like using but it did resolve the problem until he outgrew it.

Here's a hint that I used for the outside water bowl that I had the same problem with. I bought a large metal bundt pan and Coleman tent stakes (they are made so that there isn't a rod that sticks up that could poke the dog in the face) and staked the bundt pan to the ground - 3 around the outside perimeter & two around the inside perimeter - worked like a charm! :)

bogolove

I had to get a ceramic bowl for Brady's water outside and he has the metal bowls in a stand for his food and water inside. He started carrying around those plastic bowls and chewing on them and I don't know if it was for fun, or attention, or what but he chewed them up. So I got ones that he could not carry around and chew up.

Fran27

I'm going to look into it.. For now my husband attached the support to a shelf, and it's been better... Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.