New garden pics

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Mr. sure likes his water cool and fresh. I decided he is watching me because no sooner to I replace it and get inside than here he comes. I so seldom get to see her, but Hyia said she saw her today. I am so glad your interested in them too, it is much more fun when I can share. Good news is Mr is growing back hair. maybe it's his sunflower diet. HE will be pleased because Hyia got a bag of apples she considers bitter. She is fussy as all get out about her apples, she loves them dearly, but only the delicious ones, which is what I thought I had but I guess I didn't. SHe has a cantaloupe for tomorrow so the rind will go out and hopefully the Mrs. Will get to have a treat. : ) The world is so dry, so horridly hot, that the parade of critters to the watering hole is steady all day long. I would hate to be a wild thing out there right now and figure putting out a bowl of cool water and refreshing it during the day is the very least we can do. Wish we could do more.

I have six more stalks of sunflowers to go, we certainly got our good out of one packet of seeds. Fun for me to take photos of, fun to hear the goldfinches sing their joy at fresh seeds, and finally to see them gobble up all but the very thickest part of the stem.

K

Kaydee

Somebody help me with roses. I keep spraying and the caterpillars must be mutants, the spray is supposed to be broad spectrum and still they munch. What am I doing wrong???

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
All I have ever used is some ivory soap shaved up in a mister bottle I don't use pesticides so I am not much help. I am very careful to keep my predators, praying mantis, lady bugs, itty bitty spiders around to do the work for me. The only trouble we had was Japanese beetles because they get too big too fast, before the predators can take care of them so we made it a family effort to go out between 1 and 3 and catch them. Early in the morning I would check the buds and if there was one in the bloom I would pinch it hard to kill it.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier

my new favorite. I am not a big statue fan, but this one my SO bought for me when my son was little. Now this is his son, and my SO is deceased. I am glad that this statue is still with me, and that all my memories are mixed together when I see this. I miss Jim but in this photo, in a way, he is with me. My flowers are like that too. The four oclocks I plant because of my grandmother. Grandmother Kim gave me the meadow rue, Jim dug up the irises out in the country in a field of tall grass because I said I liked them. Many of the plants have been with me for so long it's hard to believe. Old good friends of mine. He would have liked this photo a lot I think.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier

Uncle Carl.... a big difference from the poor little old Mr in the pic above. I was worried about the Mr and Mrs for I haven't seen them for a week but both stopped by this morning. This big boy with his mutton chops showed up a week ago. Came up with one of the babies. THey too stop by less often which is fine since the rain started. Uncle Carl however, I think he just watches from the tall grass and waits for me. Open the door or the window tho and zip...all are gone. I like seeing them climb the tree to eat the pods of the honey locust. All can be seen from my desk chair. The very best part of this apt.
Pepper is getting a strict lesson on how we are NOT going to sit and chatter and snort at the screen. Nor are you getting out the door without a leash. She can do her running somewhere else. I really like groundhogs. I never knew anything about them before but such gentle creatures. THe squirrels and birds get within inches of them when they are here. They are no threat and no worry for no one has a garden here or livestock. Going to make a little foot stone and call it groundhog crossing.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Mama and her Baby. A rare sight to see two together. Enjoying dinner of an apple and carrots.

I would love to touch Mama's fur. but I never will.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Now it is time to enjoy God's garden. The view from my porch this morning. Mine may be over, but the woods are just starting to turn and I can't peel my eyes away from my window. This was just as the sun came up, it has become more and more yellow as the sun has risen. This part of the year makes up for all the too hot and too cold months that Missouri goes through. With the drought I didn't think we would get any color this fall but nothing could be further from the truth. The trees are turning with glory.

Doberluv

I can't believe I missed this thread. I forget to visit some of these sub forums. Your garden is lovely and JUST the kind I like. I wish you could post even more pictures. Your little quails that you made fit in perfectly and are really, very, very beautiful. That is a pretty area too, that you live in...gorgeous trees. The ground hog is super cute and really enjoying himself. The sunflowers are a fantastic idea to attract those kinds of birds that love sunflower seeds. What a nice picture!

I'm still working on the bones of my yard. It's coming along. I had lots of nice flowers in summer, but I am still wanting to get it finished...lots of hard scaping and a sprinkler system to wrap up before I post pictures. I just hope it's half as pretty as yours.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I think the secret to any garden is your never finished. ; ) Most of my plants are old, some are half as old as i am, like friends that your glad come and stay and miss when they sleep. I can't put a lot of money in, just keep the soil healthy, try not to hurt the planet in anyway and not expand to the point where watering becomes too high of an expense. Mulch is most critical, the right place for the right plant, which takes a while to figure out, some I iwll move in the spring, some will get divided. Wish you were close, I would send some your way. Many of my plants were gifts from dear friends, two who have passed on and so when they come up, and bloom, to me, it is like a part of them is still with me. Thanks for the compliments and for sharing in my tiny corner of the world, at least this one place, is peaceful, and kind, and full of good memories. I have been blesssed to be able to keep it with me, even tho I have had to move several times. I have friends to thank for this too, for helping me for I never could have moved it alone.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your garden.:)

Doberluv

I think the secret to any garden is your never finished. ; ) Most of my plants are old, some are half as old as i am, like friends that your glad come and stay and miss when they sleep. I can't put a lot of money in, just keep the soil healthy, try not to hurt the planet in anyway and not expand to the point where watering becomes too high of an expense. Mulch is most critical, the right place for the right plant, which takes a while to figure out, some I iwll move in the spring, some will get divided. Wish you were close, I would send some your way. Many of my plants were gifts from dear friends, two who have passed on and so when they come up, and bloom, to me, it is like a part of them is still with me. Thanks for the compliments and for sharing in my tiny corner of the world, at least this one place, is peaceful, and kind, and full of good memories. I have been blesssed to be able to keep it with me, even tho I have had to move several times. I have friends to thank for this too, for helping me for I never could have moved it alone.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your garden.:)
I love your sentiment. I think so much inner peace and tranquility can be gotten from a garden. Then tending of it, choosing plants and having them come to mean something to you is really special. My garden and my plants have not been here for long. This was a clean slate so to speak and I'm trying to transform it into vibrant garden that will become a sanctuary to me and that I can give something to as well.

Yes, I have already moved things around and expect to do a lot more of that yearly. I have lots of perennials which I think are so much fun and very interesting and it would be cool to live nearer each other and we could divide and trade things.

I always enjoy seeing pictures of peoples' gardens and you have a special place that particularly appeals to me. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
25 years old..and waiting for spring..I am twice that, and I am waiting for spring.
Ode to weak winter light.

cabin fever..

spiffy

I'm an avid gardener too and do so love your pics. Thanks for sharing smkie. More garden pics? :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Won't have any til spring. I have a Missouri wild flower catalog from the conservation dept. I think that is the way i am going to go this year. Lots of sweet william for the edge of the woods, and maybe some of the dryer prarie plants for the hotter dryer area around the porch. Will put in many many more sunflowers, but in a better place. Cindy I think will help me divide and move the hosta over from where they got a bit too much sun, and clear out some that need to be in the shadier area to make room for them. IT's small patch, and that's a good thing for my water bill. MOstly I hope to add mulch and some manure to improve the hard pan soil they packed down when they put the building in. I think that's my plan. IT's hard to stick to it, when the greenhouses look like they do. Still I want butterflies and natural food for the birds more.
Thanks for sharing my garden with me! If you were closer I would share some plants. NO one around here cares at all.

spiffy

If I'm your neighbor you won't see the end of me. I love sharing and trading plants too. I've found this site http://www.allfreecrafts.com/nature/butterfly-food.shtml for natural butterfly foods though I haven't gotten around to making the feeder. I really did enjoy your garden pics. Have taken some pics of my flowers and my dogs too but I'm not very techie - don't know how to upload/post pics.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I started with photobucket. I am able to plug in my disc to my computer without a cord but some still need a cord. THen I go to photobucket, and make an account, and then follow the instructions to load up your pics. AFter that I take the img link copy it and put it in my posts. I would love to see your pics too. Help us get through this dark, dreary time. I swear if it is going to be cold, it could at least snow and that would be pretty. I get tired of grey and brown.

Members online

No members online now.