The dog musing/vent thread

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
And I was under guessing for Outlaw's future stud fee if he pans out in health testing?!

Geez, I thought $200 was too much......but morals and car payments.......

Picklepaige

Someone called Finn fat while I was walking him. The sad thing is, I was kind of happy, because normally it's the other way around :rofl1:

Gaze upon my obese monster:

But for real, am I just deluding myself into thinking he's a good weight? I'm pretty picky about weight and I think he looks okay. Lacking muscle, but that's probably because he was neutered at 7 months.

noludoru

Bored Now.
God, I love you.

I have potentially exciting happenings happening late next month. We shall see... lots of work to do.

Not a puppy, sadface.
Why do I have to have morals? Apparently you can take any random husky and any random pom and the pups go for $3000 a pop.
:rofl1:

That's just awesome.
So is this an improvement over his previous POOP ALL OF THE PLACES? Or not? :p

:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1: I'm so glad someone is amused by the ridiculousness.

Kendall, it is. It's a continuation. He HASN'T STOPPED. I'm not sure where he's getting the food, or if it's bottled up from the past few weeks of not pooping every day. But my god the poop will kill me.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I just saw the pics of the puppies and picked out my female from that breeders "oops" (turns out it was his neighbor's ACD who got to her) litter I have talked about ... I am excited and I know I can do this but I am also so NERVOUS! And I start to swell and doubt myself.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
And I was under guessing for Outlaw's future stud fee if he pans out in health testing?!

Geez, I thought $200 was too much......but morals and car payments.......
In all seriousness, I think most stud fees are set based on what a pup would be worth from that sire? (Just from what I've been able to piece together from websites.) And, IMO, that makes sense. Since preferably a single stud won't be used to sire All The Litters and a bitch would be chosen with care, a $$$$ fee seems perfectly reasonable.

Sekah

The Monster.
Someone called Finn fat while I was walking him. The sad thing is, I was kind of happy, because normally it's the other way around :rofl1:

But for real, am I just deluding myself into thinking he's a good weight? I'm pretty picky about weight and I think he looks okay. Lacking muscle, but that's probably because he was neutered at 7 months.
He's not obese at all. If he were a performance dog, he'd be kind of chunky. For a pet, he's about as big as I like to see them, but still in the realm of healthy and acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

If you want to put more muscle on him, don't let the fact that he was neutered earlyish stop you from trying. You can still get plenty of muscle on him if you try.

DJEtzel

He's not obese at all. If he were a performance dog, he'd be kind of chunky. For a pet, he's about as big as I like to see them, but still in the realm of healthy and acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

If you want to put more muscle on him, don't let the fact that he was neutered earlyish stop you from trying. You can still get plenty of muscle on him if you try.
I agree with this.

Picklepaige

What weight do you like to see on a pet dog? He's got kind of an awkward build, so it can be hard for me to tell when he is at a good weight. Here is another picture, taken around the same time those pictures were.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
What weight do you like to see on a pet dog? He's got kind of an awkward build, so it can be hard for me to tell when he is at a good weight. Here is another picture, taken around the same time those pictures were.

He has definition in his hind, so that's a good start. Can you feel ribs easily?

My dogs are unconditioned atm, but slim. I like to see at least 3-4 ribs on Harlow and some spine. Rider and other ACD's (and Finn too if he's got a decent double coat) I like to be able to easily feel ribs and mayyybe some spine.

Others probably have better input than me. :eek:

Picklepaige

He has definition in his hind, so that's a good start. Can you feel ribs easily?

My dogs are unconditioned atm, but slim. I like to see at least 3-4 ribs on Harlow and some spine. Rider and other ACD's (and Finn too if he's got a decent double coat) I like to be able to easily feel ribs and mayyybe some spine.

Others probably have better input than me. :eek:
He has a double coat that is moderately thick. I can feel ribs without using a lot of pressure, and when he trots I can see the last couple of ribs. His tuck up is a lot more evident when he trots as well.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
He looks like he could use some muscling, but honestly I don't think he even looks chunky. Crazy slim, no, but unless there was a problem I wouldn't take weight off him, just add muscle. It looks like he has a really dense coat, he's got a nice tuck up and pretty defined shoulder muscles.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I just saw the pics of the puppies and picked out my female from that breeders "oops" (turns out it was his neighbor's ACD who got to her) litter I have talked about ... I am excited and I know I can do this but I am also so NERVOUS! And I start to swell and doubt myself.
Am I understanding this? You're buying a dog from a breeder that's an oops litter of unknown parentage but that hopefully is the neighbor's coincidentally purebred dog of the same breed? Maybe I misunderstood that post.

Sooo.... I disagree with a lot of people on here. I have a problem if I can see spine. That depends on the dog, too, though. I've met tons at a healthy or healthy+ weight that you could see spine on. I want to feel ribs easily, feel/see some muscle tone, and not see spine. 1-2 ribs standing is okay, but not my preference any more.

He looks fine to me for a pet weight. Obviously it's hard to tell from a picture, but if I were to grab him I think I'd feel some ribs. He looks like Middie right now, actually. Not in shape, but not obese.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I just wish Juno & Cajun could be off leash together. I'm getting a liiiiittle tired of all the one-on-one park trips and having to overthink all the outings I want to go on. I think what makes it most annoying is that Cajun completely ignores ALL other dogs but she is usually a complete bully towards Juno. WHY. Why can't you treat Juno like all other dogs!! :eek:

DJEtzel

I just wish Juno & Cajun could be off leash together. I'm getting a liiiiittle tired of all the one-on-one park trips and having to overthink all the outings I want to go on. I think what makes it most annoying is that Cajun completely ignores ALL other dogs but she is usually a complete bully towards Juno. WHY. Why can't you treat Juno like all other dogs!! :eek:
Can you crate or rotate dogs in the car?

I can't play disc with two dogs at once, so I load both up and go to the park, leave one in the car while the other plays, then crate that one up and get the other out. Works pretty well for us.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
If my timing estimates are right, there should be puppies like... now. Today. Last week even.
But there are no puppies yet. Not even a confirmation that there were any on x-ray. The breeder is superstitious so she wouldn't say for sure, and then I wondered if she wouldn't mention an x-ray because there were only two last time and it turned out to be two girls. So now it's like the superstition has spread, haha.

But my guess is no puppies. It took several attempts for Georgie's litter to take, and there were only two puppies from that. I'm thinking he's just not a super virile dog. The bitch had two nice-sized litters before, so, yeah. Thinking it's on the sire. He's a great dog but not great at producing puppies.

This is actually good because I really do not need a puppy right now. So... yay/boo? I'm a little disappointed but actually feeling kind of relieved... kind of weird feeling...

That also means that all our hopes and dreams with any dogs from that line would actually lie with Payton. OhGod. There is one other dog who is still intact but she told me previously she didn't think she was going to use him. So... Payton.
Payton.

We're all doomed.

Members online