Sense of humor in dogs

Shakou

So last night I was sitting in bed on my laptop when Ma'ii came over and jumped up to lay down beside me, with his butt facing me. As he's sitting there quietly, he turned to look down at Charlotte on the floor, then CRANKED his head backwards in a freakishly unnatural position to look at me upside down for a few seconds, then snapped his head back down to look at Charlotte.....Then did it again....then again....and again... He had me laughing so hard I was practically in tears and he totally knew I found it absolutely hilarious, and it was why he was doing it. He was purposely trying to be funny to get me laughing. Usually it's Charlotte who's the clown of my two, but when Ma'ii wants to be funny, LORD is he funny!

Does your dog have a good sense of humor? What things have they done to purposely be funny?

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I don't find it particularly funny but Rigby thinks she's got a great sense of humour.

Her favourite trick seems to be acting all sucky and getting nice and close to be cuddled.
Then, once I think everything is nice, she turns her head and bites me on the nose. Not hard of course, but it's still annoying :rolleyes:
She also likes to smack the other dogs with her toys and run away.

Oh and she talks back whenever I tell her she's being annoying. I'm pretty sure she finds that funny too.

If I laugh at Cobain, he gets embarrassed and walks away lol.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Her favourite trick seems to be acting all sucky and getting nice and close to be cuddled.
Then, once I think everything is nice, she turns her head and bites me on the nose. Not hard of course, but it's still annoying :rolleyes:
Mia does that. You can tell she thinks it's hilarious. She will either try to get you to cuddle her OR if you ask her to do a trick she will fake you out and then bite you on the nose. It too is gentle.

Then she usually dances off all proud of herself. Personally I think it's pretty darn funny and intelligent to even think of something like that. She's a very tricky clever thing.

She has a lot of quirks like that and a real goofy streak. She likes to hit as well with her feet. And also likes to jump out at me and rub all over me just grinning ear to ear. I find Mia has the most dynamic moods of any dog I've had. She is not a universally goofy dog, she can be very serious and quiet, and then later be exceptionally loud and goofy, and when she's sad she is tragically sad acting.

Summer is hilarious but it's completely unintentional. She gets upset if she thinks you're playing tricks on her. She seems to think it's mean.

But on the other hand, imagine the valley girl stereotype and that is Summer. My trainer calls her the Barbie dog because she's blonde and not very thoughtful. Summer is a doer and not a thinker and is super impulsive and almost always happiness and bubbliness personified. And this behavior lands her in some hilarious situations. Especially out in public or at agility- Summer is always doing something wild and crazy and funny. But I don't think she plans it. She certainly loves the attention she gets from people though and I think that encourages some of the funny behavior.

Elrohwen

Watson thinks he's frickin hilarious. His all time favorite thing to do is steal things, but instead of chewing them, he'll just wait there until you notice, wagging his tail furiously and with a big grin on his face (even if it takes you minutes to notice). He certainly seems to enjoy people's reactions to whatever illegal thing he's holding.

There are lots of little things that I'm convinced he only does because we laugh when he does them. He always has a stupid happy smile on his face and I think he likes the attention of being laughed at. He knows no shame, and doens't make that "guilty" face like so many dogs do. We can yell and scream and he just smiles back, like he's laughing at our frustration.

Snark

Mutts to you
Patch had a sense of humor; her best was when we were at the boarding barn one winter night. A passel of barn cats were sleeping at one end of the barn in some loose hay. Patch, who liked cats, snuck up on them and barked once, really loud, and then stood watching the fur explosion and rapid disappearance of every cat before trotting back to me, tail wagging. She just grinned when I told her that was mean...

Shakou

Charlotte has one of the greatest sense of humors I've ever seen on a dog. I mess with her and pick on her a lot, and she knows it, and will react accordingly. Example. Sometimes I'll take my hand and just really obnoxiously rub her face while going "WHO'S A GOOD GIRL???" and she reacts by twisting her body in bizarre pretzel like positions, and barking at me between her legs. She thinks she's frickin hilarious, and she's dead right.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Rosey thought she was hilarious.

Most of the time, it was so she could get into trouble and we'd be laughing so couldn't be mad. :p

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Personally I think it's pretty darn funny and intelligent to even think of something like that.
Definitely intelligent and funny!
I just meant that at the time I don't find it overly funny, I get tricked every time into thinking she actually settled down and wants to be a sweet cuddly dog :p

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh yeah, I never think that because Mia is usually rotten and kind of grumpy. So if she's being sweet, she's up to something.

Slick

Kristina
Leo doesn't really have a sense of humor. At least, he doesn't pull pranks and doesn't do things that he personally finds amusing.

However, he will continue a behavior if I am laughing, just because it pleases me. The main example for that is zoomies. He has ten times crazier zoomies when I am watching, because I just can't help but laugh at how crazy he is. I am pretty sure he ramps it up for my benefit.

Astro backs up into people and farts LOUDLY on them. He also makes this hilarious fart face when he does it, he curls his lips together and looks like he's eating something sour.

It never fails to make me laugh, because I am a child. He won't do it for months at a time, then one day he'll remind me that yep, he still audibly farts and looks funny about it.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Roxie's got a great sense of humor in that she puts up with my craziness, lol. I'll get bored and start acting silly, and Rox will just come and join in on the fun.

Plus the floor dancing.

Members online

No members online now.