Choosing first puppy with 6-month child and allergies

trofmoc

Hi,

I'm looking to buy our first puppy and we have a couple of conditions that we have to meet. The first is that the dog needs to be great around kids as we have a 6 month old child and they will be growing up together. The second condition is that I suffer for hayfever so looking for a dog that doesn't shed a lot and doesn't have a wirey coat. We are looking for either a terrier size (e.g. Westie), or a little bigger.

I would appreciate any suggestions that members have.

Thank you in advance.

Craig.

Best thing to do would be seek out what there are for breeders in your area and visit with their homes and see how you react. All dogs have dander and that usually a bigger problem then the actual hair.

I have a friend with severe allergies, my poodle mix and shih tzu send him over the edge, but he is fine with the border collie he has, and was fine with the pit/husky mix he had before.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
If you want a dog that's great around kids, I would look into getting an adult from a rescue, that is already known to do well with kids. :)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Definitely recommend meeting with individual dogs to see how you react. Some people can't tolerate dander, other it is certain types of fur, and others still it is the drool.

Also, with really young children....it may be better to get an adult dog versus a puppy. Puppies require a lot of training and maturity to become, well, dogs. Mouthing, jumping, nipping, accidents on the floor where the baby may be crawling...all are a name of the game.

Different breeds are known to be better with children, but no matter what you end up getting, you'll want a sturdy dog that can't be injured easily, one that tolerates all kinds of handling and doesn't mind erratic movements or loud noises.

A larger mini poodle (or small standard) may be a good bet. And if you can find a reputable breeder (there are some out there, it just takes some searching), a miniature Goldendoodle might be an option. I have met some very lovely dogs from a local breeder, and while I wouldn't purchase a pup from someone who is just crossing poodles and Goldens and selling pups as a designer mixed breed...I can't say I'm against those responsibly breeding them as an actual breed, not just a mix.

A doodle mix that is several generations of the mix as they are less likely to end up shedding. But be warned few breeders of them actually have generational crosses and even fewer look at temperaments at all and it shows, many have horrible issues.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I'd suggest looking for a miniature poodle that is already an adult from a responsible breeder. Finished with its show career and looking for a new home, grew too large (or is too small, if a standard), etc. That way you have a decent feel on the temperament and don't need to raise a rowdy pup with your young child. :)

Members online

No members online now.