Pee, pee, so much pee

Grab

Brooks is the peeingest puppy I have ever had. He keeps his crate clean, but will pee in the hallway when we come in from potty runs outside (the hallway is gated). I thought perhaps he was playing outside instead of peeing, which he is wont to do, but I've been going out with him to make sure he pees at least twice. He's also definitely peeing, not marking. He's been checked for a uti and all is well. There's no carpet in that area, so I'm sure it's being cleaned very thoroughly.

I know I'm used to Chows, who basically are born being appalled at the thought of eliminating indoors, but good lord, at 8 months shouldn't peeing indoors be starting to become a thing of the past?

Stop peeing in my house!!

I've also tried tethering him to me, as I'm pretty certain he would not pee right next to me (although he has no qualms about peeing in the hall in front of me..so maybe he would) but he's just....not good about tethering. Pacing, tangling himself, bouncing up from sits or downs, and so on. And, while that's not peeing, it is almost as annoying.

I guess I should be glad he's not also pooping inside...

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Abrams does something similar, only with him it is peeing before heading outside that is the issue, or if he's playing really hard with a full bladder. He knows he isn't supposed to pee inside, but I have NEVER had a puppy that pees as frequently as he does. He did have a mild UTI and after treatment he's gotten better, but I really, really hope bladder control will come with age and that he won't continue to pee when he's overstimulated.

Could Brooks not be emptying his bladder when he goes out? Abrams is pretty ADD, and if something distracts him I have to wait him out for him to finish peeing or he'll come in with a half full bladder and want out five minutes later.

Grab

Not emptying his bladder is part of the problem, I'm certain. I go out and make sure he's peeing at least twice before coming in, but it's hard to say how much he's actually outputting when he's peeing in the yard. (you can't see much under all that hair)

I could try a more appropriate belly band..I'd finagled one out of a shirt..which seemed to work..but it kept sliding off all of the important bits, lol.

He's not an excitable pee-er, thank heavens (because he's excited ALL the time :) ) just a "meh, I have to go, here seems awesome" pee-er.:rolleyes: Little turd.

Hopefully he outgrows this soon!

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Jones did this for a while. He'd go out, potty, pee at least twice, and then come back in and pee on a bed on the floor. (I'd have rather he peed on the hardwood, personally)

I started limiting his water intake, dramatically. I researched exactly how much water dogs need every day, factored in the heat and humidity here, as well as how much exercise and playing he was doing a day and limited him down quite dramatically. He ended up drinking around a liter and a half a day, if it was a hot day, but mostly quiet in terms of play time outside, and upped it to two liters if he was outside playing hard. I also doled it out to him in his own bowl and picked up the communal water bowl while he was free in the house. He was also watched like a hawk because like you said, he would get tangled in the tether and it was generally a pain in the butt.

And if I caught him peeing, I yelled. A lot. Probably not the best course of action, but it stopped him from peeing, whereupon I would immediately put him outside, let him settle, remember he was peeing, and then reward when he finished peeing outside.

It worked. After about two weeks or so he caught on, probably closer to a week and a half. He now asks to go outside (he's the only one that asks, actually, he'll go and rattle the door knob, the others hold it until it's a scheduled outside potty break time)

And no more pee in the house! Like Brooks, he didn't pee in his crate. Just on dog beds >.<

Grab

Do you let him out on his own, or with the other dogs?
Both. Because he's a puppy, he goes out much more often than they need to. So they'll often choose to stay inside. They are not really frolicking type dogs, so if they don't have to go, they're probably not going out :)

Grab

Over a week with no pee issues. Hurray :)

I've been trying to take him out a tiny bit more, but I think that the lack of two solid weeks of rain have helped a ton. He is spending enough time outside to actually do his business, vs trying not to drown

Sounds like you are making good progress.

Eventually he should figure it out if you keep him inline with crate and then peeing outside only.

Sometimes this is part of the process of owning a puppy :)

Members online

No members online now.