Harnesses?

Flyinsbt

:hail: Glad I'm not the only one that bothered. You know how we all complain about irresposnible pet owners making it harder for us to take our dogs someplace? Doing something like that is just going to make it harder for legit service dogs to have access to places, even with the ADA laws.
The time I decided I wanted to was because the Portland Pirate Festival was being held in a park a short walk from my house, where I sometimes walk. Pi was a pup, and I walked him down there with the thought of showing him around. We worked on his loose leash walking. There were no dogs allowed in the festival, so we walked around the fence. In the festival, a service dog lying in the grass barked at us, so we walked back around to show off his pirate tricks at the gate. The guy at the gate said "you should get one of those service dog vests so you can take him in". And of course, I would never do something like that. But it did come a bit hard that my quiet, well behaved young dog, bothering nobody, wasn't allowed in, but the guardy barking dog that was already in there, was fine.

MicksMom

The time I decided I wanted to was because the Portland Pirate Festival was being held in a park a short walk from my house, where I sometimes walk. Pi was a pup, and I walked him down there with the thought of showing him around. We worked on his loose leash walking. There were no dogs allowed in the festival, so we walked around the fence. In the festival, a service dog lying in the grass barked at us, so we walked back around to show off his pirate tricks at the gate. The guy at the gate said "you should get one of those service dog vests so you can take him in". And of course, I would never do something like that...
I'm sorry. I mis-understood your post. The way I read it, it sounded like you were trying to pass Pi off as a service dog.

...But it did come a bit hard that my quiet, well behaved young dog, bothering nobody, wasn't allowed in, but the guardy barking dog that was already in there, was fine.
Understandably. I would be miffed, too. I honestly think there are too many dogs passed off as service dogs that either have no business being a SD or the owners are saying they are just to get the dog where dogs aren't allowed (or in the case of someone I was told about- the dog not having to fly cargo to an obedience competition.

Flyinsbt

I'm sorry. I mis-understood your post. The way I read it, it sounded like you were trying to pass Pi off as a service dog.

Understandably. I would be miffed, too. I honestly think there are too many dogs passed off as service dogs that either have no business being a SD or the owners are saying they are just to get the dog where dogs aren't allowed (or in the case of someone I was told about- the dog not having to fly cargo to an obedience competition.
I won't call him a service dog, I won't put service dog labels on the harness, I won't buy a service dog vest. But in theory, I'm not opposed to letting him be mistaken for a service dog in places where they just don't want a lot of rowdy public dogs. Not restaurants, grocery stores, etc; things like outdoor festivals. As I said, though, I haven't made any effort to take him to those places, it's just a theory.

So far, when I've flown, my dog has flown cargo, though I'm thinking of getting Pirate declared an emotional support dog so he can be with me. I'd have to get a doctor's note for that, though, so it's not something I could lie about. Anyway, if I do, I'll probably get ESD labels for the harness. I don't want to put anything on him that says "service dog", because he's not. He is not trained to perform any tasks to help me.

JacksonsMom

So far, when I've flown, my dog has flown cargo, though I'm thinking of getting Pirate declared an emotional support dog so he can be with me. I'd have to get a doctor's note for that, though, so it's not something I could lie about. Anyway, if I do, I'll probably get ESD labels for the harness. I don't want to put anything on him that says "service dog", because he's not. He is not trained to perform any tasks to help me.
I have legitimately wanted to get Jackson declared as an ESD for a while now, but haven't yet. I've struggled with on-and-off anxiety issues (nothing major) since my brother died in 2006, and after I got Jackson, I became so much more comfortable. He's helped me meet so many people and I much prefer being out and about when I can have him with me. It wouldn't be because I want to "sneak" him into to places that he's not allowed (I could care less - he comes so many places with me already anyway, without having any kind of 'title' or certification). But it would be a nice extra thing to have for emergency purposes. He's obviously not a service dog, but he's definitely emotionally supportive for me.

So anyway, I've considered it, but I kind of want to get him his CGC first (you don't need this, I just want it for myself). I also don't see a psychiatrist or anything (always dealt with my issues in other ways), so don't know how I'd even go about getting the doctor's note.

And now that this thread has gone WAY off topic... lol

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I have legitimately wanted to get Jackson declared as an ESD for a while now, but haven't yet. I've struggled with on-and-off anxiety issues (nothing major) since my brother died in 2006, and after I got Jackson, I became so much more comfortable. He's helped me meet so many people and I much prefer being out and about when I can have him with me. It wouldn't be because I want to "sneak" him into to places that he's not allowed (I could care less - he comes so many places with me already anyway, without having any kind of 'title' or certification). But it would be a nice extra thing to have for emergency purposes. He's obviously not a service dog, but he's definitely emotionally supportive for me.

So anyway, I've considered it, but I kind of want to get him his CGC first (you don't need this, I just want it for myself). I also don't see a psychiatrist or anything (always dealt with my issues in other ways), so don't know how I'd even go about getting the doctor's note.

I'm pretty sure ESDs don't have public access rights, though I could be wrong. So in an emergency (I'm assuming you mean somebody asks you to leave with the dog), him being an ESD will do nothing.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
The time I decided I wanted to was because the Portland Pirate Festival was being held in a park a short walk from my house, where I sometimes walk. Pi was a pup, and I walked him down there with the thought of showing him around. We worked on his loose leash walking. There were no dogs allowed in the festival, so we walked around the fence. In the festival, a service dog lying in the grass barked at us, so we walked back around to show off his pirate tricks at the gate. The guy at the gate said "you should get one of those service dog vests so you can take him in". And of course, I would never do something like that. But it did come a bit hard that my quiet, well behaved young dog, bothering nobody, wasn't allowed in, but the guardy barking dog that was already in there, was fine.
Okay, so a dog who was possibly a service dog (sounds way more like a faker, suggesting you get a service vest for your pet...) was in and poorly behaved. They could have actually ejected the dog for that behavior. It doesn't make it okay to bring your pet in with a vest that resembles a service vest. :\

Okay, so a dog who was possibly a service dog (sounds way more like a faker, suggesting you get a service vest for your pet...) was in and poorly behaved. They could have actually ejected the dog for that behavior. It doesn't make it okay to bring your pet in with a vest that resembles a service vest. :\
This!

But she didn't. I get what you're saying but I can't believe she's the only one that's ever wished they could pass their dog off as a service dog without actually being one (or actively lying) while being able to get the access. No matter how morally wrong it is.

I would be lying if I said I hadn't wished it many times. Especially when wanting to take public transportation and bring my dog. But just like her I haven't actually done it nor do I plan on it.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
The SD handler did not suggest she pretends her dog is a SD.

JacksonsMom

But she didn't. I get what you're saying but I can't believe she's the only one that's ever wished they could pass their dog off as a service dog without actually being one (or actively lying) while being able to get the access. No matter how morally wrong it is.

I would be lying if I said I hadn't wished it many times. Especially when wanting to take public transportation and bring my dog. But just like her I haven't actually done it nor do I plan on it.
Exactly. I mean, really, my dog is perfectly fine in public, completely well behaved, doesn't bother anybody or anything. I know he's completely fine in public. I would NEVER lie and say he's a SD (because, well, it's pretty obvious he's NOT, lol. I don't think I've ever seen such a small service dog). But if I was lying, he would not give a bad name to service dogs at all, but of course I wouldn't ever do it. And I understand there are idiots out there who DO ruin it. For all of dog ownership that happens. There's always that one bad apple that ruins it for everybody else.

I'm not one of those people that really cares about bringing my dog to places he's not allowed anyway. I don't need him with me to grocery shop or go to the mall. I do enjoy bringing him a lot of other places with me -- he goes to the bank, he goes to Home Depot, outdoor restaurants, he is usually with me when I'm doing things such as getting my car washed or getting my oil changed, I've never been kicked out of anywhere for having him but that's because I'm not trying to, like, sneak him inside of a 5 star restaurant, or the grocery store, or anything, lol. And he's too big and wouldn't tolerate being thrown into a purse anyway! lol.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with people lying about SD's. AT ALL. But I don't think what flyinsbt was describing is faking anything. She's NOT lying about her dog being a SD, she's just getting a harness that looks similar to what a SD would wear. It may make people feel less threatened, etc. I do get it is all I'm saying.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew

Well yeah I wish I could take my dogs places I can't due to how restricted non-service dog access is in this country. I don't think anyone has an issue with that gripe...or at least I hope not.

But I can understand the negative reaction to someone choosing a piece of equipment for their dog *because* it increases the chance their dog will be mistaken as a SD even though they are not. What possible good could come of that? Either she at some point does go some place dogs aren't allowed because people think the dog is a SD or she is in dog-friendly places being mistaken as a SD...if her dog is well behaved neither hurts actual SD access rights but why do it in the first place?

I'm probably not explaining this well...it's just that I can't see how any good can come of intentionally dressing your dog up to confuse the general public as to whether he is a SD...

Fran101

Resident fainting goat

Dogs aren't allowed on public transport where you are?? Like even buses and subways? That sucks! What if people don't have cars and want to take their pets to the park..

IMO that's wrong. Public transport is for.. the public. I get it if private companies like greyhound bus or airlines don't want to deal with pets but public transport should be for the people and their pets IMO

I'm probably not explaining this well...it's just that I can't see how any good can come of intentionally dressing your dog up to confuse the general public as to whether he is a SD...
I guess I was reading it more as she bought it on a whim because of that but never actually followed through with it? Not that she actually ended up having her wear it to confuse people. Does that make sense? Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Dogs aren't allowed on public transport where you are?? Like even buses and subways? That sucks! What if people don't have cars and want to take their pets to the park..

IMO that's wrong. Public transport is for.. the public. I get it if private companies like greyhound bus or airlines don't want to deal with pets but public transport should be for the people and their pets IMO
It sucks. I mean, I would love to be able to use the train to go downtown with the dogs but I can't. And I do live in the suburbs so there isn't really any public transportation (other than the train) but I don't believe in the city you can either.

Flyinsbt

Yep, that's sort of my problem too. I don't see anyone for my issues, and I'm not sure how I'd go about finding someone who would be willing to give me the needed note. I do actually need to see someone, though, so I may get around to at least asking. Just having the dogs was enough to manage my issues for awhile, but not so much these days.

Just in case, though, when Pi wears his Julius K9 harness, he's required to be well-behaved instead of me encouraging his usual rowdiness. An ESD isn't required to have any particular training, as you know, but I wouldn't want to have a dog in that sort of public capacity, which might be mistaken for a SD, behaving badly. So, no pulling on the leash, or other boisterous behavior. Which means I hardly ever use it, since if I do, I have to enforce criteria. :rofl1:

Most of the people I know with these harnesses use them for agility, because they're easy on and off, but I won't, because I like to let him be rowdy at agility, and I do want him to associate wearing that harness with being calm and well-behaved. Which turned out to be handy this past weekend, when I had to walk across an icy parking lot with him.

Members online

No members online now.