Calories/pound: How much does it take to power your dogs?

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
Same with Brisbane, I often up Ru's food when it's cold or he's looking a bit ribby, but Briz never looks skinny ever. When he goes on a diet I have to count individual kibbles. So far it looks like he's the most efficient dog in the thread, with Kobe being a close second.

RBark

Got Floof?
Kobe has a bowl of food in his crate he has access to for 16 hours of the day. Yet, 95 lb 1.5 cups. You can feel his ribs easily. This bothered me for a long time and I tried everything to get him to eat more. Gave up and accepted it as a quirk of his.

BostonBanker

My guys are rotating through various flavors of Fromm grain free right now; going off their current selection:

Meg: 36 lbs; moderate activity; ideal weight for her as a sport dog, although I think she's lost a little muscle mass this summer. She doesn't run as much in the heat.

2/3 cup per day = 270 kcal/day so 7.5 kcal/pound

Gusto: 28 lbs; high activity; my ideal sport weight - well defined muscles, lean but not boney.

1/2 cup per day = 204 kcal/day so 7.28 kcal/pound

But I would have to take into account the treats they get per day, which are probably pretty considerable. I consider both dogs easy keepers.

Red.Apricot

Elsie's skinny. She eats 3 cups/day of canidae pure land, which is 1422kcal. She weighs 36lbs, so that's about 40kcal/lb. She also gets two eggs a day and a bunch of treats. She's not an easy keeper.

Zobby's at a good weight, and takes about 18kcal/lb to maintain. He's an easy keeper, lol.

Michiyo-Fir

Nia eats between 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of any of the Acana grain free foods per day. We rotate between all the different flavours. She's moderately active, a 45 min run/free play in the park a day, plus a few short 15 min walks. By my calculation that's between 20-30 kcal/lb. She weighs 7 lbs and spayed, but is fairly thin and could gain a little.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Feist is as skinny as I'm comfortable with her getting and in very good shape, she's eating 62kcal/lb. She burns a lot of calories just by existing as her crazy self. She's intact and a year old, which explains a lot.

Hudson is 37-40 lbs - 2 years old - moderately active (in that I'm lazy). He gets about 1 cup of food a day (in addition to his crate noms). His food is normally around 420 kcal / cup - so that makes it what, 11.35 kcal/lb

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
Our dogs get about 2-3hrs of offleash time at an open space daily (we'll play with the Chuckit, have them swim in the ponds, run them on bike trails, etc), so they eat a TON of food o_o; Their body condition score ranges from 3.5-4/9 and they're all really well-muscled.

Lugia, 2-year old intact female Silken Windhound: 29lbs, about 1300kcal/day or ~45kcal/lb... on days when she's on exercise rest she'll only accept about 600-800kcal/day, or ~25kcal/day (I always offer her as much food as she wants). Right now she's fed Orijen Regional Red and I LOVE her body condition (she was always a bit thinner than I would've liked until recently).

Circus, 1.5-year old intact female Australian Koolie, 25lbs, about 1000kcal/day or ~40kcal/lb. Currently eating Fromm Gold.

Pablo, 2-year old male castrated Labrador-mix, 57lbs, about 2400kcal/day or ~42kcal/lb. Currently eating Fromm Pork and Applesauce.

Dagwall

I rotate between about 7 different Fromm formulas each one ranges between 393 to 410 kcal/cup, I'll use 405 as my value as most are around 408 and only two drop below 400. Actually Jubel is usually 50/50 kibble/raw but I've been lazy recently about prepping the raw so he's been all kibble for about a month.

Jubel is a 45 lbs. 6.5 year old neutered male who is moderately active, nice and lean. He gets about 2 cups a day at 405 kcal/cup so ~18 kcal/lbs

I don't have a weight on my currently foster girl but she is underweight and I'm trying to get some more lbs on her. If I had to guess she's about 45 lbs right now and would look better close to 50 lbs. 2.5 year old spayed female, moderately active. I've been slowly upping her food from 2 cups a day making sure she did well on Fromm and not to overfeed to the point of the food just passing through her. I'm at 4 cups a day right now and will likely stay here for a few weeks and see how she looks. Her poops are HUGE but have stayed pretty much the same from 2 cups a day up to 4 cups a day so might just be her and only pooping once a day if I'm lucky. So a very rough estimate of 36 kcal/lbs for her.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Josefina- in winter she will eat 2 cups merrick grain free with one satin or "fat" ball once a day. In summer she just gets one cup because that's all she will eat :p

Buddy and Yumi get two servings of 3/4 of a cup.

Bear, the old man, gets canned food mixed with a bit of dry with his arthritis meds mixed in.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
We are feeding Wild Calling kibble right now - I'm VERY happy with how they are doing on this kibble, so it's my new base food.

Aeri: intact female, 4yo, 42lbs, currently eating 1012 kcal/day = 24.1 kcal/lb/day
Kes: neutered male, 5.5yo, 40lbs, currently eating 607 kcal/day = 15.2 kcal/lb/day
Snipe: hormonally intact (OSSd) female, 3.5yo, 29lbs, currently eating 607 kcal/day = 20.9 kcal/lb/day
Z: spayed female, 7.5yo, 24lbs, currently eating 268 kcal/day = 11.2 kcal/lb/day

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
We're back on Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach which is approximately 418 kcal/cup.

Cobain: neutered male, 8 y/o, 42lbs, 836 kcal/day - ~20 kcal/lb
Rigby: spayed female, 4 y/o, 28lbs 836 kcal/day - ~30 kcal/lb
Ruby: spayed female, 2 y/o, 23lbs, 731 kcal/day - ~31 kcal/lb
Oz: neutered male, 11 y/o, 21lbs, 522 kcal/day - ~25 kcal/lb

I find this interesting. Cobain is by far the most active out of the bunch, yet maintains his weight well on 20kcal/lb. He is a bit on the thin side, but he will refuse to eat more than 2 cups per day.
I could fill his bowl to the top with any type/brand/flavour and he will pick out approximately 1 cup and walk away from the rest.

Members online

No members online now.