Treat ideas for Pan

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Like the title says I need some treat ideas. I bought some treats for him, but they are soft and he has a hard time eating them or he just does not like them. I have some elk sausage that I have that I might try and use.

I have tried using his kibble, but he looses interest fast. Ideas please.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Freeze-dried beef liver.

It's my go-to training treat because:

a) It doesn't cause the runs if she gets too much
b) Cali loves it
c) It's relatively easy to break into small pieces

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Aww, love the name. Cheese, meat (dried or otherwise), and dog food that comes in the rolls that you refrigerate is what I use. And remember he's a tiny baby, nothing is going to hold his interest for very long! :p

AliciaD

On second thought...
Aww, love the name. Cheese, meat (dried or otherwise), and dog food that comes in the rolls that you refrigerate is what I use. And remember he's a tiny baby, nothing is going to hold his interest for very long! :p
Seconding the short attention span bit, ;)

Dogs will eat anything but like stinky cat treats (which are better sized for training) liver, hotdog, etc. We also like Zekes but we've only found their peanut butter flavor in the training friendly mini treats.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Hot dogs and cheese are always my go to. I prefer to mix the hotdogs with something close to the same value though, as hotdogs are fattening and not super healthy. Lol.

Katem

Badger sometimes has trouble with losing food in his jowls. I'll give him a treat and then I'll see it hanging out in his lip folds or he'll shake his head and send food flying. Is that what you mean by Pan having a hard time eating the treats?

I mainly use cheese (mostly cheddar or string cheese for treats I'll hand to him, but I've put ricotta in a squeeze tube and used that) pork/beef, hotdogs, doggie meatballs cut up into smaller pieces, dried sardines/anchovies (although these can get crumbly) or liver.

Besides the ricotta, I'll also put the thicker meat baby/toddler foods, peanut butter or cream cheese in a squeeze tube, but he's not the best at eating out of the tube.

The fact that the treat doesn't always make it down his throat doesn't seem to demotivate him, so I haven't put too much effort into eliminating the treat-loss. Cheese does seem to be the worst for getting stuck, but freezing it helps a bit. Now I just keep treats in the freezer. Keeps the cheese from melting so quickly when we're working outside/it's in my pocket and the dogs seem to like it in this heat.

Xandra

Dehydrated liver is really great, you can break in into the right size chunk and IME dogs love it. The only thing is, I've found it super expensive, like $15 for few pieces the size of your hand and maybe 1/2 cm thick.

Costco sells dried duck tenders by VitaLife, ~1.5 kg bag for $20 or something. Of course, they're from China and are irradiated so that might bother you, but duck is the only listed ingredient and they say no added glycerin or chemicals, etc.

Members online

No members online now.