Cooper ate chocolate

He should be fine, Richie. There's probably not enough actual cocoa in it - if any - to even bother a Chihuahua. Check the ingredients on the box and see what it says. Then go read the stickied thread about dogs and chocolate. ;)

I've had a couple of my dogs eat big milk chocolate candy bars, none of them had any problems, not even the smallest one, a Beagle. We didn't even know about it back then.
He had more problems from the 7 or 8 pounds of ham he ate once after he got up on the kitchen counter! That was about 20% of his body weight! Sheesh.

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
My friend's standard poodle, Coco, got into the chocolate cupboard. He ate all of the special chocolate they save for guests and it was ALOT of chocolate. My friend's daughter callled her at work and the dog was fine. I think it's more of a regular kind of thing... Maybe it's like mercury, once your exposed to it once, you can't be exposed to it anymore or else its poison. So, maybe dogs just can't have it more then once. Just a thought.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I don't think a pop-tart would do your puppy much harm. I read the thread about choclate and I forgot how much he would have to eat for anything remotely bad to happen but that's not going to do it.

panzer426

I was told by two different vets years ago that dark chocolate and bakers chocolate are far more dangerous, milk chocolate, depending on size of dog and quantity eaten, typically doesnt cause more than a upset stomach, if that.
about 15 years ago a friends cocker spaniel ate about 6? pounds of easter candy milk chocolate. he had diarhea and I think vomitted once or twice. few hours later he was fine and begging for more.
good idea to try to avoid them eating any amount of any kind, but I seriously doubt it would be a problem.

woofwoof

www.petsmo.com
I guess I should stop feeding my pup pop-tarts first thing in the morning.
And no more Caramilk bar treats for good behavior.

Allyse718

I want 2 b a dog 4 a day
For your typical dog, this information seems to be fairly accurate...

White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.

Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.

Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.

Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.

I'm sure Cooper will be just fine! Give him a few kisses and he should be just fine :)

Members online

No members online now.