new baby and boxer

RoxyBoxer

I made another post but no one replyed lol. Anyone have any suggestions on newborns and dogs? I have a 1 and a half year old boxer and I am due in Dec. Im worried she will be jealous and people are filling my head with all sorts of things like how im going to have to cage my dog alot :eek:

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
I don't really know I've never had Ike around newborns, and I don't have kids. Maybe you could try getting her used to baby mannerisms by getting a baby doll that can move and cry. Go ahead and show her how to act and see what happens.

I think most boxers know when to tone it down for toddlers and little kids, just have to make sure they don't accidentaly knock them over or lick 'em too much! :p

Congrats on the baby too! Do you know what you are having? :)

Cangrats on the baby!
There are a few things you can do to prepare for the baby. They may seem silly but if you train it will pay off.

Practice feeding and carrying around a teddy bear as if it were a baby. teach your pup to not jump and respect you while you have the baby in your arms.

Practice feeding, have your pup lie down and wait while you take the time to feee.

If you plan to walk the baby and the dog at the same time, get your stroller early, put a 5-10 lb of flour in the stroller and teach the dog to walk on one side of the stroller and make sure he doesnot pull.

When the baby is born, send home a recieving blanket, hat, or onsie for the dog to smell.

These are things that worked for me. The hardest for the dog is the shift in pecking order in the house. If you teach the dog to find his place before the baby comes, the transition should be ok and he will not have to be crated all the time.

Just a side thought, you could look into a dog walker a neighborhood kid, or doggie day care to get the pup a little bit of extra exercise, it could make life a little better for a new mom.

Good luck.

filarotten

Fila the love
I never had any problems with mine when my son was born. I let the dogs sniff him, they are curious. They have an uncanny way of knowing it is part of the family. Make sure you give Roxy lots of love so she doesn't feel left out in your spare time. Hard to do I know. You will be worn out for awhile. My boxer was great with my son, and my lab and fox terrier. They almost seemed proud to be part of the new arrival.

bubbatd

I've heard of doing the above posts... especially the baby doll part.... carry one around before and when you deliver, have it in the crib. Have your hubby bring home the blanket after you've wrapped the new baby in it, and wrap the doll in the crib with it. Congratulations !!

RoxyBoxer

its a boy! roxy was really well behaved around my younger brother and sister.. she was 3 months when we first got her..my sis was 4 and my bro was 2 so i guess she just assumed they were puppies to! I dont know if youve read my other post but roxy is having small seizures. im worried one day she will get one around the kid and she has never gotton aggressive, completly the oppisite actually (she sulks and crys while they are happening..but she doesnt look like shes in pain) but still if she isnt herself well thats the boxer im worried about. we got a kitten, kind of to see how she adjusts to me carrying around a whining thing lol but I guess its really not the same at all because the kitten hisses at her when she trys to lick it. So we are giving the kitten back. Another thing is she is very aggresive (growls and barks) at my 5 year old cousin. Last christmas party, roxy wasnt even one yet..my cousin pushed my little bro and roxy jumped in between and snapped at my cousin. this is the only time she has gotton that upset at a child. I think it was the fact she was protecting him. i guess we will see soon enough.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
RoxyBoxer you have some well given advice here. Our boxer came to us when my grandson was about 1 yr but he was raised around my nephew since he was born. Boxers are inquisitive but well mannered for the most part. I would def. try the baby doll that makes noise. Your boxer will need to get used to that sound. I know for some dogs a babies cry hurts their ears. You may find that roxy will be more of a babysitter for you than a problem... Congrats on the new addition.

Dixie's Chick said:
If you plan to walk the baby and the dog at the same time, get your stroller early, put a 5-10 lb of flour in the stroller and teach the dog to walk on one side of the stroller and make sure he doesnot pull.

/QUOTE]

Congratulations!

Just a word of caution, and I am not being paranoid, because this happened right outside a friend of mine's house about 12 years ago. A lady was walking with her baby in the pram, and the dog (not sure what breed, but must have been large) was tied to the pram. They were walking on the pavement next to a busy road and the dog took off across the road, dragging baby and pram with him. I'm sure you can guess the ending.

RoxyBoxer

I just remembered my friend is doing a parent child class where they get to take home one of those 500$$ whining machines i like to call them ;) Its a r-e-a-l baby. its a toy doll with a computer chip inside that, for example if the head falls backwards it marks down bad points whereas if you 'feed' it its bottle right you get good points. Im going to tell her to bring it over when its her turn to take the doll home for 2 days, i belive its in november but thats not far from my due date and maybe roxy will remember the noise. im trying to think of people who have small children to go visit im just wondering what they will think when i show up saying...can my boxer lick your babys face to see how she reacts :D :D

RoxyBoxer

wow thats the most irresponsible thing you could do with a kid and a dog!!! frenchboxer thanks for the story lol but I doubt id ever tie my dog onto the baby stroller!!! roxy is pretty good walking...but she still jumps at birds and other small things. she is also trained always to my left. she will not walk to my right and no matter how much i try to put her there now when im walking with someone to my left...she swerves in front of me!! im used to walking two at a time..roxy to my left kia to my right. so i figure if she stays where shes told now...the only thing im going to have to worry about is her being jealous shes not getting a ride in the stroller :D

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
Well, just make sure that Roxy knows what it is, never leave Roxy unattended with the baby. Remember, spend time with Roxy too. Boxers are smart and she's gonna think, wait, before this came, mommy's attention was all on me! I need to get rid of it. Be careful and congrats!

RoxyBoxer

im starting to think of how much i spoil my dog lol. roxy gets attention from everyone and im sure even when the baby is here my mom is still going to spoil roxy senseless... she bought her 40 dollars worth of treats for christmas last year *rolls eyes* lol. Im going to see if I can get my sister to walk Roxy once a day, shes turning 13 so the experiance will be good for her to!

Members online

No members online now.