question about weight

darthamy

My four month old yorkipoo Cleo just weighed in at 4.7 pounds the other day at the vet. She's four months old. I was wondering how I can determine her full grown weight. When I got her at the end of August she weighed 2.5 pounds...I am really hoping she doesn't go past eight pounds, though regardless of her size, I'll always love her to pieces. Any tips on predicting size would be most helpful.

Thanks

oriondw

user not active
omg yorkiepoo. Its a MUTT.... Its not a breed!

Sorry everytime i read that i get cracked up laughing :).

As to your question. How big were her parents? She'll probably be below 10. I dont see why it matters if she's over 8lb, not like you're going to notice the 2 lb difference anyways.

Payge

When I worked at the vet they told me most toy size dogs dont continue to grow much after hitting 6 mths old.

darthamy

her parents were two purebreds..everytime i see a reaction like yours i can't stop myself from laughing...a DOG IS A DOG and she loves me the same as any purebred would and she's worth every cent i paid for her. but thanks for the info.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Have to agree there... Too much pure bred snobbery on here I think I have seen sometimes!

A dog is a dog is a dog in my books, and should all be viewed in the same light.

Y

yuckaduck

Yes a dog is a dog but do not claim that a mutt is a purebred. Whether it be mutt or purebred it deserves the same love, care, commitment and attention as any other dog. It is just when some people say they have something and they paid an enormous amount for it, yet the shelters are full of mutts needing homes. We are very much against breeding mutts here because any mutt breeder is a backyard breeder and backyard breeders are not responsible. Our concern is more for the overall health and temperment of your dog not so much what it is. Many people here have mutts and they will tell you they are great dogs. Also not to rock the boat any but there are several purebreds in shelters now too. Storm is a purebred gsd and we adopted him from a shelter. He was returned to the breeder and the breeder as irresponsible as he was did not wish to re home him, so to the pound he went. He is a great dog too! I would never go back to a mutt personally but that is because all of my mutts had health issues. They were all great dogs temperment wise and I would never fault that. I just prefer to now deal with a reputable breeder and get my guarantee and know that chances are much greater that I will have the appropriate size, health and temperment that I am looking for.

oriondw

user not active
Oh I have nothing agaisnt mutts, I just laugh at people who state "yorkiepoo" as a breed.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
At the end of the day, dogs will be bred, no matter who tries to regulate it, who is against it or who for it.

Whether you agree with mutts or disagree with them is fine, but it irrelevant to the question being asked.

For a helpful forum, people do tend to dwell on breeds far too much, when often a straight answer is all that is needed!

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
Well, in this case, you have to take the Yorkshire Terrier's weight into consideration as well as the Poodle's weight (Which I am assuming is a toy poodle). So, a poodle is a little bit bigger then a yorkie, so logically, the yorkiepoo will be just a little bit heavier then most yorkshire terriers, which is normal, Weight: 7 pounds (3.2kg.) As for Poodles, its Weight: 6-9 pounds (3-4 kg.) So maybe, when it's stopped growing, around 8 pounds?

www.dogbreedinfo.com/yorkipoo.htm says that there are variations in weight.

It's all in genetics.

darthamy

I never said my dog was a purebred and I never ever said that yorkipoo is a breed..it's just the best term for her. there are tons of purebreds dying in shelters, too. right on with that pure bred snobbery comment...hit the nail right on the head, dear. also, it is completely unjustified and ignorant to assume that all mixed breeds come from unreliable breeders because I happen to know the person (whether you want to call him a breeder or not) assumes the greatest care and ethics when creating dogs.

Members online

No members online now.