Breed Name Slang

SpringerLover

Real conversation I had with my old boss.

Him: "I really want to breed Berry to a yellow stud."
Me: "Why don't you find one then?"
Him: "Well, there aren't any good ones!"

crazedACD

I wonder if it started with hunters? Some of them have very strong opinions about which colors are better/worse retrieving dogs.
Those chocolate dogs are no good. Black is the best. Yellow is okay.

DUH!
Well for serious, in my experience... Blacks are chill. Yellows are eternal-puppy doofusy. And Chocolates are insane. Like I'm pretty sure Weimeraners were thrown in and when you get a Chocolate, the Weimeraner genes are showing through. :eek: :D

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Appropriate slang for Doberman is DOBE. Anything else is a pet peeve of mine.... and I'm not alone. Serious Doberman people aren't caught dead calling their dogs dobies or dobbies.

This is a dobie:

This is a dobby:

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I like the word heeler but that's just what they're called in Texas.
This. I was raised in the south (Texas then Tennessee) and I'm pretty sure I use all of these slangs lmao! Heeler for sure, and black vs yellow vs chocolate lab. I don't mind the slangs. I know what people are talking about and they know what I'm talking about. It works.

ETA: I really hope the Admins can't see the answers we give on some of these questions. I definitely just said that 1+2+3= 3...

Shakou

"Heeler" doesn't really bother me, though I rarely use it when talking about Ma'ii, as I consider it more a general term for a type of dog, not a breed. ACDs aren't the only dogs refered to as heelers, they are just the most common. I always call him my Australian cattle dog.

In regards to Charlotte and Pit Bulls, "pibble" drives me batshit crazy. I know it's an affectionate nick name, but it's kind of obnoxious to me.

Not quite the same but I do get annoyed by the term "gentle giant" when in reference to Danes. Can they be? Sure! Are they naturally....eh, not necessarily. Its such a common term for them people are just stupid with it. I cant count how many people shoved their small dogs or other animals in Ivy's face, walk right into my fenced yard or up to it trying to pet them etc all in the name of "Oh but they are gentle giants!"

Taqroy

and finally the differences in name give a person some idea of the type of dog (and person) they are dealing with. if someone INSISTS on ACD, then i know they are coming from a show fancy perspective and know them from that angle. OTH if someone insists on heeler then I know they are either coming from a working stockdog or yarddog perspective and they know the dogs from one of those angles.
Huh. That's interesting. I use heeler and ACD interchangeably but I also random chanced my way into having two half dogs (that makes one whole one right?) so I'm not really representative of the breed.

I also generally don't like the term "doxie"for dachshunds..../I'm pretty sure I've heard people say it's slang for a prostitute in some countries.
I'm pretty certain that it's old school slang for prostitute. I've seen it used in historical fiction, but it's probably also used in other countries still. I would google but that probably wouldn't be wise from my current computer...lol.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I'm pretty certain that it's old school slang for prostitute. I've seen it used in historical fiction, but it's probably also used in other countries still. I would google but that probably wouldn't be wise from my current computer...lol.
Definition of DOXY (plural Doxies)
: floozy, prostitute
: mistress

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/doxy

:rofl1:

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
I don't mind heeler, but that's what ranchers here call them. Might be a southern thing.

I'd rather people say Doxie if they can't say or spell Dachshund correctly. I despise when people say wiener or wiener dogs. Or hotdogs.

No it's jot a southern thing because that's what we have always called them way up here. Even still, because I have never seen one that isn't a working dog, or product thereof I have yet to hear someone who owns one refer to them as anything but heelers.

I hate the term spoos, hate hate hate it, it sounds stupid, like a fake breed name, doodles and spoos, dumb.

Pitbull drives me nuts, especially when paired with a nose colour. I always reply "oh well this is my brindle and white shih tzu". It usually confuses them pretty good.

Saeleofu

I hate when people call GSD's "German"s or Malinois "Belgian"s. As in, "Is she a purebred German/Belgian?" Drives me nuts for some stupid reason.
If I say "Belgian" I mean ALL varieties, not just one. If I mean one variety, I'll specify which variety. In UKC they're all lumped into "Belgian Shepherds" and the vast majority of shows don't offer conformation classes for Belgian Shepherds because of the ridiculous judging critique they require, so it's much easier to just say "This show does not offer classes for Belgians" or "No Belgians at this show" when you're taking. Because it's easier.

For some reason, I really don't like "border" or "collie". They are just "border collies". "BC" is also ok. I have no rhyme or reason as to why I am so picky, I just am :rolleyes:
Collie = Rough or Smooth Collie. Border = Border Collie or Border Terrier. BC is my preferred shorthand for border collies.

You can't really shorten Shar Pei much, but I have heard people pronounce it as "Sharpie," which always throws me. One guy said it about ten million times, "that's a Shar-pee mix, I just know it! Total Shar-pee." Stop, you're killing me!
I sometimes spell it "Sharpie" in jest. But I typically shorten it to Pei.

Some people seem really, really bothered by the UK use of Alsatian for a GSD - never understood why.
UK doesn't like Germans. So they can't possibly like their dogs, either. Therefor GSD = Alsatian lol

I'd rather people say Doxie if they can't say or spell Dachshund correctly. I despise when people say wiener or wiener dogs. Or hotdogs.
Dash-hound. Datsun. OMG NO. STOP. I call them wieners because my roommate had two of them, and we'd ALWAYS refer to them as wieners. "Look at my wieners!" "My wiener got stuck in my hoodie again." :rofl1: I also got her a shirt with a dachshund skeleton on it that says "Happy Halloweenie" lol

If I say Logan's a collie, it gets followed by 4576763 stupid questions. So I ALWAYS say he's a smooth collie. If we're already talking collies, I'll use Smoothie, but if I just told some random person on the street he's a smoothie I'd get stupid comments.

I have decided that when people ask what he's mixed with, I'll just say "Scottish Shepherd." Because I'm getting REALLY tired of being told my dog isn't a collie because he's naked.

Names that infuriate me: Short haired collie/short coat collie. It's SMOOTH. Not that hard. Also, "GSD" or "GSD Mix." ESPECIALLY when it comes from stewards at an obedience trial. WAT.

SpringerLover

I totally call Shar Peis, "Sharpies" in real life. Because we used to see so many of them at the clinic and well, it just kind of stuck.

I rarely call my dogs English Springer Spaniels when I'm talking about them. And I honestly use ESS more than Springer lately.

Most people don't know what a Welshie is anyway, so Springer typically means ESS. Sometimes I just say Spaniel as well. Which I think makes people assume I have Spaniel mixes, but no cares here.

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
I even call my rottweilers "Rotties"...it sort of softens the public perception of the breed a little bit. But I really cringe when I hear someone (often male) call them Rotts...I don't know why, but it does bug me. LOL

Equinox

Do people actually use "Germans" to refer to German Shepherds?!? Because that's... weird. There are plenty of other breeds with "German" in the name... Even as a GSD owner, I'd be wondering "German what?".

Pibble sort of weirds me out, too, and now that Oko's mentioned it I think it's because it sounds like dribble. I don't really think twice about Pittie, though. For me, I use APBT for known APBTs and bully/bully type/bully mix for the others.

Some people seem really, really bothered by the UK use of Alsatian for a GSD - never understood why.
People's usage of the label "Alsatian" in my area confuses me to no end. I've had several people ask me about my GSD and say "that's an Alsatian, right? You can tell that's an Alsatian type GSD from the back and hind legs."

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I use the term paps/pap in typing just for laziness. I do have to admit the closeness to papsmears bothers me.

The only way any name in my breed annoys me is when people fight about the name

I can't really think of abbreviations or slang in any breeds that annoy me that much. Poos for Poodles is weird, I like Beezers for Ibizan because I always overthink it and spell it wrong. And anything like pibble is too close to annoying baby talk for me.

Members online

No members online now.