Is 10 weeks too long with Breeder?

Saeleofu

The most important socialization at that age comes from mom and littermates, not you, so it's actually a great thing. It is something I would respect a breeder more for doing. Also, as said before, a good breeder will be doing other socialization as well. But there are some things only other dogs can teach them.

And yes - the potty training! The less I have to do next time, the better. Zoe was horrid. :-D

THIS.

My parents brought their GSD home at 8 weeks, but his mom was separated from the pups since 5-6 weeks old, and he was the dominant pup in a litter of 3. This dog has NO manners when it comes to other dogs. NONE. And no bite inhibition. At all. And "socializing" consisted of sitting in what sounds like an empty room and holding the pups for hours on end. Wat.

IF I ever got a pup, I'd prefer to get it at 12+ weeks old. I got Logan from his breeder at a few weeks past 1 year old, and he is so wonderfully socialized. Sadly I don't think I could convince her to keep all my future pups for a year lol ;) She does SO much to socialize the pups from the time they're born, starting with Early Neurological Stimulation. I'd let my pup stay with her as long as possible.

If your breeder isn't actually socializing properly, though, then I'd be concerned. But when you get down to it, if the breeder insists you can't get the pup until 10 weeks and that's a deal breaker for you, then your only choice is to go to a different breeder. You can't force a breeder to hand a pup over 2 weeks early. Until that pup is in your name, it's their pup, and they have a right to keep it for 10 weeks if that's their policy/plan. Heck, they can keep all the dogs for their entire lives if they wanted. They're their dogs.

Romy

Taxiderpy
As a breeder, I keep puppies until 10-12 weeks. The only exception I might make is if one had to be flown before severe weather set in (we had one puppy go to a family in Alaska that has to reach their home in the wilderness by private plane, she went at 9 weeks to beat the snow).

Not just for socialization, but also to be sure everyone is as up to date on vaccinations as possible before leaving. Kaia's puppies were totally weaned at 5 weeks, and able to start shots at 6 (it takes one week for maternal antibodies to clear).

Romy

Taxiderpy
Also, the ideal socialization window "closes" at 15 weeks. It's very good for puppies to be with mom and littermates until 10-12 weeks, and after that you still have a solid three weeks to expose them to whatever you want them to experience early on.

Plus you have the added bonus of not needing to worry as much about them contracting parvo and stuff while you two are out.

Toller_08

I prefer 10-12 weeks, as longs as the breeder has done ample amounts of positive exposure to different stimuli. I would prefer not to bring home a less than 10 week old puppy.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
As long as the breeder is legit and socializes, I see no biggie.

I say, PLEASE stay with the breeder as long as possible, as they are probably doing things way better than I could :p

momto8

Quinn came home a little over 10 weeks, originally he was supposed to come home around 13 weeks, but I got impatient and went ahead and drove to KY to meet my breeder. It worked great, and he was so happy and outgoing!! I would wait till at least 10 weeks for another puppy, and if we have pups one day i would prefer they dont leave tll 10-12 weeks.

Thanks for all the responses. That eases my concerns a bit.

Now to wait for the breeders bitch to come into heat (should be any time). Suuuuch a long time to wait :(

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Quinn came home a little over 10 weeks, originally he was supposed to come home around 13 weeks, but I got impatient and went ahead and drove to KY to meet my breeder. It worked great, and he was so happy and outgoing!! I would wait till at least 10 weeks for another puppy, and if we have pups one day i would prefer they dont leave tll 10-12 weeks.

You know I'm going to have to come live with you for those 10-12 weeks right? Hahaha

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I wouldn't worry a bit :) If you've chosen a responsible breeder, chances are the puppy won't be missing out on anything over those 2 weeks. I got Quinn at 8 weeks but would have had no qualms with leaving her there longer, because her breeder did a ton of car trips, socialization, and obedience with the puppies, same as I did.

Members online