What's in your dog food?

Oh god, I love it. Every time that Blue commercial comes on and the woman says something like "Did they think I WOULDN'T FIND OUT?!?!?!" I think, "Yes, that's why they put it RIGHT ON THE BAG" lol.

krissy

Poo. Can't watch it in Canada. Must find it on youtube. I can't stand Blue buffalo commercials.

I mean seriously. What are "life source bits" and what the hell does "cold formed for better potency" even mean?

crazedACD

LOL

I mean seriously. What are "life source bits" and what the hell does "cold formed for better potency" even mean?
I like Blue Buffalo but yeah the commercials are a little silly. The life source bits are like..freeze dried kibble, rather than cooked or extruded. Supposed to keep the vitamins and minerals from breaking down under the cooking process.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
This is what we are feeding now, Merrick chicken and sweet potato grain free ALS. here are the ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Sweet Potato, Peas, Potato, Chicken Fat (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Salmon Meal (source of Omega 3 fatty acids), Natural Chicken Flavor, Apples, Blueberries, Organic Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Minerals (Salt, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Rosemary Extract.

we also rotate through the pork: Deboned Pork, Pork Meal, Potato, Sweet Potato, Peas, Salmon Meal (source of Omega 3 fatty acids), Pork Fat (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Pea Protein, Natural Flavor, Apples, Blueberries, Organic Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Minerals (Salt, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Rosemary Extract.

and the Beef:Deboned Beef, Beef Liver, Lamb Meal, Sweet Potato, Peas, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract), Natural Flavors, Potato Protein, Potato, Deboned Buffalo, Deboned Lamb, Flaxseed, Whey Protein Concentrate, Apples, Salmon Oil, Blueberries, Organic Alfalfa, Minerals (Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product.

I would love to try the duck and the lamb, but I have a dog who doesn't like duck or lamb (Bear, the old man) :/. I stay away from the fish based foods because none of them like fishy foods.

this is their site for the rest of the grain free formulas: http://www.merrickpetcare.com/consumer/products/list.jsp?cat1=6&cat2=4&categories=Dog-Grain-Free

They also have a pretty good grain inclusive line, but the old man Bear is allergic to any kind of grain, even "high quality" grains like barley, oatmeal, and brown rice :p. But after he passes away I wouldn't mind trying one of the grain inclusive foods.

Gage's main meal is:
Pro Energy – ground backs, chicken frames, lean meaty bones, cooked eggs, organ meat (pork), I also add in more novel meat sources like llama, pork, rabbit and beef as well.

Diesel mainly eats ground chicken backs and necks, I get him to eat the odd bite of other stuff occasionally, but it's hard.

Bristol eats most anything lol, right now she is rotating through Natures Variety Chicken and Lamb flavours as well as chewy and Stella's beef and surf and turf flavours.

Oh ya, the life source bits were horrible when I fed Gage Blue, they are soooo tiny they would fall out of his mouth lol.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I know a good many working dog people (including IPO and SCH people) who feed BB wilderness and swear by it. Just like many "pro" dog people feed Pro Plan and "swear" by it.

My dogs wouldn't eat the life source bits :/

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Wesley did great on blue buffalo, he ate the life source bits fine. :)

krissy

LOL

I like Blue Buffalo but yeah the commercials are a little silly. The life source bits are like..freeze dried kibble, rather than cooked or extruded. Supposed to keep the vitamins and minerals from breaking down under the cooking process.
I can't even get past the commercials to even look at the food and see if it is any good. I could be a great food but I won't even pick the bag up because the commercials tick me off so much.

I figured that's what the "life source bits" were (or something along those lines) but my point was just that they use this ridiculous jargon that the average pet owner has no actual understanding of. It's a marketing gimmick. "Let's say this because it sounds awesome but basically says nothing!" Gah!

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Lol! I kind of want to have this on a forever loop at work. SEE PEOPLE! SEE WHAT CRAP FOOD YOU ARE FEEDING YOUR DOG?! DO YOU WANT BIG NAME DOG FOOD TO HAVE SEX WITH YOUR HUSBAND?!

i.didn't.think.so.

JacksonsMom

Hahaha. This was great. BB annoys me anyway with their commercials. Acting like their sooo much better than Purina. Their foods are so ridiculously high in ash (well, their GF ones) and their foods are made at, like, 5 different plants, I'm almost certain they don't have a vet formulating their foods but I could be wrong on this one. I've also heard of sooo many dogs having GI problems on BB. Literally almost every thread I read online about it the dog is having problems. I just don't think they're all that great anyway so it amuses me with their commercials.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Hahaha. This was great. BB annoys me anyway with their commercials. Acting like their sooo much better than Purina. Their foods are so ridiculously high in ash (well, their GF ones) and their foods are made at, like, 5 different plants, I'm almost certain they don't have a vet formulating their foods but I could be wrong on this one. I've also heard of sooo many dogs having GI problems on BB. Literally almost every thread I read online about it the dog is having problems. I just don't think they're all that great anyway so it amuses me with their commercials.
What really kills me is the cat food commercials where they show fruits and veggies ... cats are true carnivores (I know there is a word for that but I cant remember it LMBO), they do best on a diet without those things! if they knew anything they would know that.

Also the term "pet parents" kind of annoys me, although I THINK if my dog as my kid, I don't introduce myself as a "pet parent" ... to me it just sounds weird :p.

I have also seen a lot of issues with dogs having GI problems and even dying on BB.

What really kills me is the cat food commercials where they show fruits and veggies ... cats are true carnivores (I know there is a word for that but I cant remember it LMBO), they do best on a diet without those things! if they knew anything they would know that.

Also the term "pet parents" kind of annoys me, although I THINK if my dog as my kid, I don't introduce myself as a "pet parent" ... to me it just sounds weird :p.

I have also seen a lot of issues with dogs having GI problems and even dying on BB.
My pet peeve...furbaby, eff me I HATE that word.

Members online

No members online now.