Wow your dog is ugly

Pops2

Mine don't get called ugly, but I have had this happen:
"Wow, a search dog? Cool! What kind of mix is he? Doberman?"
"Oh, he's not a mix. He's a Catahoula."
"Oh, okay! My brother has one of those. They're really stupid dogs."
".....Okay....."
"Yeah, my brother's is the worst. He can't teach him anything!"
"Right... Well, that's probably your brother, not the dog. Nice meeting you... I'm gonna go now."
i find catahoulas (like curs in general) are usually smarter than the people that own them.

Who on earth SAYS stuff like that?

When people say stuff like "I'm judging you" my favorite response is "your opinion has been noted" along with a dry smirk, then I change the subject.

For some reason, nobody ever says anything like that to me anymore. :D

Pops2

when i'm feeling rude i answer "yeah he is, but at least he is better looking than your kid. now that should have been a BJ night."
when i'm feeling less rude: "maybe but at least he's useful, unlike your butterball he can catch things like fox, deer & boar."

ptc48

Animal Lover
I've had people tell me that Dunbar has a big butt. I've wanted to ask them if they have looked at their own lately, but my husband won't let me. These are the times when we realize that we had rather be with our boy, Dunbar, than with a lot of people.

Romy

Taxiderpy
My grandpa said the zois are ugly, but he's allowed because he's my grandpa. :p A couple of years later he did say they'd grown on him, and he liked their good manners.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
My grandpa said the zois are ugly, but he's allowed because he's my grandpa. :p A couple of years later he did say they'd grown on him, and he liked their good manners.
I'll admit that the first time I saw a zoi IRL I was totally wierded out by how thin/tall they were. The I spent time with some and realized how awesome they are!

Assamiea

People come up and tell me they hate little dogs. Useless dogs.
When we first got together, my boyfriend would always tell me the he would never get a "useless small dog". That was until he met my two, now he wants a small dog (as well as a larger breed) because " those little guys have so much personality".

I haven't had anyone tell me my dogs were ugly, but one guy ask me why I would get such a sissy dog (in regards to my Yorkie) and that he would never be protective because all small dogs "are wimps". Then he came up to me and tried to put his arm around me to prove his point, which freaked me out because I didn't know this person. Dude backed off pretty quick when Rocky got between us while growling and baring his teeth. Guess it wasn't my little dog that was the wimp!

I don't understand how anyone can call any sight hound ugly. They are so striking and unique. Well, I don't understand how anyone can call anyone's dog ugly to their face.

I've never gotten "ugly" that I remember. I know I've gotten comments about ugly ears or weird looking but never flat out ugly. I get so many comments on ear cropping and how vicious my dogs are that I don't think it would bug me that much.

xpaeanx

*Not reading all 5 pages*

1)You're family is crazy, don't listen to them.

2) People are stupid, that's why smart people love animals.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Joey isn't ugly, he's gorgeous!

There is a 'zoi that boards at work and one of my coworkers called him ugly. >:|

There are few dogs that I actually find ugly. Usually its more that their physical issues are leading to health issues that leads me to find anything aesthetically distasteful. For example, I think EB are ugly, but that is because so many of the ones I have met are waddling bundles of snorting health issues.

And the shih tzu who boards at work sometimes (Coco) with all the health issues, missing teeth, lolling tongue, crusty nose, weepy eyes and disgusting fur? I call her a "little abomination" but I do so affectionately, lol. And I would never call a dog ugly to an owner's face. That's just mean.

Honestly, so far I haven't gotten any outright "ugly" comments on my dogs, but I have gotten a couple that bothered me greatly. One of my neighbors had come over for some free overstock eggs, and as she was getting out of her truck looked over at Enda who I had out and was holding by the collar and she yelled out something along the lines "Is HE good?" I then tried to quickly explain that yes "SHE" is good, but does jump, then she scramble for some explanation that honestly didn't need to be made and kept stating "Well I saw the ears" "you know, the ears" "those ears" "ears"... :wall:

The other was while I was at a show with her last year, indoors so I took her out to potty between showing and groups. As I was trying to coax her to pee, I could hear a child yelling something and looked up to see a full family walking towards the building and a little girl with them just kept yelling "THAT'S A BAD DOG! Mom! Look, look at that BAD DOG! Over there, see it, BAD DOG!" as she pointed at and stared down Enda, really upset me, I still shake to this day trying to fathom why, the closest I can come up with, her uncle plays "the bad dude" (as my mother puts it) in Marmaduke, however IMO she looks nothing like him :rolleyes:.

Equinox

Luckily I have only heard nice comments when it comes to Trent's appearance (or "woah! Big dog!" comments), but I think that can be also attributed to the breed popularity and how he simply resembles the generic dog. Plus, the people we run across are those just around the neighborhood, at a pet supply store, at a park, etc. I'm sure if I walked into a German Shepherd specialty or even an all breed show, I'd be bound to hear a lot of insulting jabs. I think a lot of it has to do with what people are used to seeing and consider the norm. For the record, I think Joey is stunning and sighthounds are usually my favorites aesthetically.

It would absolutely upset me if someone (especially a family member) called Trent ugly. Only I'm allowed to do that, and I insult my own dog enough for the whole world :p

I've never gotten "ugly" comments, but I do get a lot of "what IS that?!" kind of questions, especially with Pip. I don't mind if people ask, but it's amazing how important it is for people to have resolution to that question and how pushy they can get about it - which DOES annoy me.

Coco gets the whole "rat" thing or "what is that?", I find it really insulting.
I would neverrrrrr say anything mean about someones dog in earshot of them, so rude!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I have gotten more of "why would you own *that* type of dog" comments ... Not so much that they are ugly, I have often rude ugly COMMENTS about having rescue dogs "hey are interior or "broken") also have gotten comments for having breeder dogs (tho I have only had two) (how dare you buy a dog while so many ate killed each year!) etc ...

Some ppl are jerks , I don't let it get to me I love my dogs ... No matter how or where hey came from. I also find it shocking what "general society" finds ugly I don't find any dog ugly ... Not even the ones who compete in the "ugly dog" contests LMBO

Doberluv

Nope, nor would it bother me if somebody did.
This^

Except for one person....my daughter the first day I brought Chulita to her place. She didn't know I was getting a Chihuahua and there I was at her door. She said, "OMG! What did you get that ugly thing for?" She regretted it later and said how sorry she was and that she was just so shocked. I had never had a toy breed before. It wasn't long though until she fell in love with little Chuli, which made her look prettier in her eyes as well. She adores this little dog and Chuli is obsessed with Emily. But it kind of hurt for a moment when she first said that since I was there to show her my new dog. But I quickly recovered. LOL.

Now...if someone were to say something as rude as your sisters or some of the other comments I've read here, I think I wouldn't give them the time of day.

I loved some of your ideas for come backs. Hahahahaha....How about this one: rude person: "your dog is so ugly." you: "Could be, but she has good self control. And she never thinks, much less says a rude thing to anyone." And walk away.

Doberluv

I have gotten more of "why would you own *that* type of dog" comments ... Not so much that they are ugly, I have often rude ugly COMMENTS about having rescue dogs "hey are interior or "broken") also have gotten comments for having breeder dogs (tho I have only had two) (how dare you buy a dog while so many ate killed each year!) etc ...

Some ppl are jerks , I don't let it get to me I love my dogs ... No matter how or where hey came from. I also find it shocking what "general society" finds ugly I don't find any dog ugly ... Not even the ones who compete in the "ugly dog" contests LMBO

Same here. I know one thing though. I am so very satisfied with my dogs, their behavior, their temperaments, personalities, even their looks. They are my constant companions, never judging, always cheerful, always there. They mean so very much to me that nothing anyone else could possibly say will alter that...not one iota. And "that" is all that matters, not the opinion or the remarks made by some ignorant human who isn't to me what my dogs are to me.

I've not gotten any ugly comments but I have had my dobe called vicious and I"ve gotten some pretty ugly comments about his ears. I just blow it off and cannot recall an instance in which it's ever bothered me. I love my dog and I know he's awesome, if somebody doesn't want to get to know him than that's their loss.

I can completely understand how hurtful it could be though to hear words like that, especially from family. I"m sorry, OP, that you had to deal with that.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I think the biggest reason it bothered me is because it's coming from family. I don't know.... maybe I wouldn't let it bother me so much if it was coming from someone else, but family.... well... different story... especially when they know how much I love my dogs. If they don't think Joey is a good looking dog then that's totally fine. I understand that people have different tastes in dogs. But... I will stand by that it was absolutely rude of them to voice it especially when they KNOW me well enough to know that I would be hurt by it.

Members online

No members online now.