Agility training

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Add me to the "no Qs but still happy" list LOL.

Kimma and I are getting somewhere. Super low stress at the trial today, which was awesome. Still there, but not as much as usual. Had an awesome opening for Jumpers which included a legit backside (first one we've seen in a trial!) and she handled it BEAUTIFULLY, but she picked up speed a bit more than I thought she would at a couple spots and I therefore couldn't follow my plan exactly. So a refusal and wrong course. OOOPPPS. Standard was SO GOOD but I'm dumb and didn't start out right. Missed the second jump, but everything else was clean. We worked in an international turn which she loved, and her weaves were the fastest they have been in a trial ever I think.

Of course I'm stupid and this was our last trial before Invitationals. MY BAD. We will be doing lots of training though so hopefully that will be fine hahaha.

Haven't been to class with Jari for a couple of weeks so I'm sure he will be glad to get back to it tomorrow :)

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Yay Kimma!! :D

And weren't you just happy with him lol he broke fast?

Penn is a champion.. sort of. Her focus is steadily improving and we are thinking positive thoughts!!

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Em lost her weavies, I guess we need to work on that again. Third pole? LOL what is that?

On the other hand, she did really great with the jumps and tunnel we were working with. Love my muttly.

BostonBanker

So, I know some of you are much more involved in CPE than I am. I am hoping I can phrase this question in a way that makes sense.

I ran Gusto once in CPE level 1. He did get a couple of Qs, although no more than one in each class (we only ran one day). He did get one of the titles - Level 1 Handlers, maybe? Colors and Wildcard. And maybe a Jackpot Q.

If I were going to run him in CPE again, am I allowed to just keep him in level 1, or do I need to actually try and figure out which classes he qualified in and move him up in those?

I would be entering 100% for training, so I'm not concerned with getting Qs or titles, and would like to keep him in the easiest classes I can. The 'point titles' in the rulebook got me wondering if you are ever forced to move up. Since otherwise it seems like it would be impossible to earn 1000 level 1 points.

Finkie_Mom

So I NEED to stop babysitting my dogs. Started with a Novice course in class with Jari and he was like "what's agility, la la la I can't hear you, there's a dog over outside there I should go see it!" My plan going in was to reward every few obstacles because his focus has been going lately. Talked to my instructor and we decided to just try him with a Masters course since he can technically do it all, and she told me to just keep running. The little boy dog did it all no issues! I need to just keep running and stop trying to make everything perfect. Same issues with Kimma. Argh you would think I would have learned by now LOL.

BostonBanker

This is such a stupid little thing to be excited about, but I've always said that I can't teach a dog left/right directionals. My dogs have flip (turn away from me), but that is it.

But left/right is something we have started doing in our lessons, and after teaching it on the flat, Gusto could pretty much immediately transfer it to lines of jumps. With me standing still (no physical cues) he could run ahead to a jump and wrap left or right just on the verbal.

Little thing. But left me grinning the whole ride home from practice tonight.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
This is such a stupid little thing to be excited about, but I've always said that I can't teach a dog left/right directionals. My dogs have flip (turn away from me), but that is it.

But left/right is something we have started doing in our lessons, and after teaching it on the flat, Gusto could pretty much immediately transfer it to lines of jumps. With me standing still (no physical cues) he could run ahead to a jump and wrap left or right just on the verbal.

Little thing. But left me grinning the whole ride home from practice tonight.
This is actually on the list of things I would like to teach but I haven't gotten around to it yet (it's in Dave Munnings stuff.) This weekend I overheard one of the women who has been doing agility since I started with Auggie telling somebody "Just starting yelling out 'left' and 'right' and eventually they'll start doing it. That's what I did!" Hysterical hahahaha.

I've always thought the biggest challenge will be me remembering which way is which on the course LOL.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
YAY, Josefina and I have now moved on to beginners intermediate class!!! Which is good, because one of the malinois in the other class, the male is SERIOUSLY DA, like she was practicing with him off lead (the instructor had everyone go outside the training area and wait) and he rammed through the fence to fight with one of the dogs that was in a crate on the other side, he also almost went after Josefina but I pulled her into my lap and gave him hard look and he backed off.

It wouldnt be so bad but the poor lady who owns him has NO dog sense and can barely hold him, I really think he would tear up another dog if he got ahold of them. I hate to say it but I am glad I am not in that class with him anymore.

Finkie_Mom

Breakthroughs. Jari is totally fine if I just keep running. No getting distracted, no caring about other things.... I also have decided that no matter what he measures, we're jumping 16". He's just so smooth and comfortable there. I've moved him up to 20" gradually, but I just don't like it. He's not dropping bars or anything, but it's not the same. So he might be preferred depending on how he's measured when the time comes. I'm glad I finally decided though!!!!

Also, I hadn't run Kimma in like a little over a week, and she was SO HAPPY to run. It was adorable <3

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Breakthroughs. Jari is totally fine if I just keep running. No getting distracted, no caring about other things.... I also have decided that no matter what he measures, we're jumping 16". He's just so smooth and comfortable there. I've moved him up to 20" gradually, but I just don't like it. He's not dropping bars or anything, but it's not the same. So he might be preferred depending on how he's measured when the time comes. I'm glad I finally decided though!!!!

Also, I hadn't run Kimma in like a little over a week, and she was SO HAPPY to run. It was adorable <3

Yay Jari and Kimma!! Especially good Jari focus!

I don't know what I'm doing for Feist and jump heights yet- she is obviously more comfortable on the 18 inch than 16 inch and her cik and caps are WAY better at that height than when I had her at 14 inch, which was totally awkward for her. we'll keep training and see!

Here's a video from today's ring rental:
[YOUTUBE]D5zobldIvCk[/YOUTUBE]

I included a lot of silly mess-ups, but she was really awesome. That was her first time shaping the weaves and her first time on a real dogwalk. Also her focus was ON, the first time she went there she checked out for the first ten minutes because SMELLS DOGS HAVE BEEN HERE CONTACT EQUIPMENT. So yeah, big improvement, totally engaged. I had to drag her away when we were done, she wanted to go back into the building lol.

Finkie_Mom

HAHAHAHA love that video. Poor dog, indeed. And the chatter at the end. OMG I love her. Jari has chosen a wonderful wife.

Jari's issue NOW is GETTING him started. We're working on keeping focus during start line stays (using a Recallers game obvi), and it seems to be going well thus far. But our last run of class he was like "NO SITTING THERE'S A DOG SOMEWHERE AROUND HERE SNIFFING YAY," but we were also positioned near the open garage door and the other class was arriving sooooo can't blame the dude TOO much.

It's weird because I thought he would be OK at 20" and maybe he would be with time, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? His 16" jumping is just so pretty (to me).

Oko

Silence, peasants.
HAHAHAHA love that video. Poor dog, indeed. And the chatter at the end. OMG I love her. Jari has chosen a wonderful wife.

Jari's issue NOW is GETTING him started. We're working on keeping focus during start line stays (using a Recallers game obvi), and it seems to be going well thus far. But our last run of class he was like "NO SITTING THERE'S A DOG SOMEWHERE AROUND HERE SNIFFING YAY," but we were also positioned near the open garage door and the other class was arriving sooooo can't blame the dude TOO much.

It's weird because I thought he would be OK at 20" and maybe he would be with time, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? His 16" jumping is just so pretty (to me).
Yeah I set her up at the startline and then realized I had no plan LOL trying to avoid that and killing her excitement by making her wait forever, don't want the startline to become dis engage Tory is going to stumble around the course for a bit time. ;)

If you're liking how he looks there I would stick with it! Feist was weird at sixteen inches, she seemed to struggle with jumping that low but still clearing it. She's at eighteen inches in the vid except for one I forgot to raise that's fourteen, and IMO that's still pretty effortless for her.

Finkie_Mom

Yeah I set her up at the startline and then realized I had no plan LOL trying to avoid that and killing her excitement by making her wait forever, don't want the startline to become dis engage Tory is going to stumble around the course for a bit time. ;)

If you're liking how he looks there I would stick with it! Feist was weird at sixteen inches, she seemed to struggle with jumping that low but still clearing it. She's at eighteen inches in the vid except for one I forgot to raise that's fourteen, and IMO that's still pretty effortless for her.
I'm definitely liking it better than 20". UKI is weird because in their version of preferred, not only would he lower the jump height but they also lower the frame height? Not sure how much I like that, but I'm sure he will be OK. I'm going to have to practice with the lower frame height to make sure his running contacts are good. I was actually feeling super stressed about the whole thing. Not sure why. I am dumb.

Feist looks great in the video. What do you think she measures?

BostonBanker

Finally got to watch both videos - Feist and Penn look fantastic!

I've got a new video camera coming for Christmas, so I'm excited to be able to record more of Gusto in the not-too-distant future.

I've also decided he's going to do one day of CPE the weekend after Christmas. It's the same spot where we will be doing USDAA in February, and the one time he trialed there was probably the best trial I've had with him. He really, really liked the space and the flooring. So we can go do a day of super fast, easy, confidence boosting CPE courses, and hopefully go into the USDAA trial with him feeling like a super star.

That's the plan, anyway!

Another lesson coming up this Sunday. I am so, so relieved to be back in semi-regular lessons. Even though we kept training all along, I need more to keep me trying new things and working hard.

Members online

No members online now.