Anyone using Zodiac spot on?

Julie

I am back again.
I just wanted to make anyone using "zodiac spot on" aware of the difference between that and "frontline" or "frontline plus". The ads claim same active ingredient as frontline. Although it does contain methoprene, it is not at all like frontline.

Methoprene: Methoprene is an IGR that does not directly kill adult insects but works on certain pests in their immature (egg, larvae) stages, thus breaking the cycle of infestations and preventing re-infestations. Immature pests exposed to this IGR simply cannot mature because they are over-loaded with a juvenile hormone mimic. If a flea larvae (for example) cannot reach adulthood, it cannot reproduce. Instead, the larvae simply dies in its immature stage.

This is the active ingredient that both topicals share.......

but, Zodiac also has permethrin at 45%..... This causes many more reactions than fipronal which is what frontline contains. Both these ingredients kill fleas......but permethrin is not as safe..... IMHO.

Compare the ingredients:

Zodiac:Active ingredients: permethrin 45%, s-methoprene 3%. Other ingredients: 52%.
Do not use on puppies less than 6 months of age. Consult your veterinarian before using this product on debilitated, aged, medicated, pregnant, nursing dogs. Do not use on cats.

Frontline Plus:Active Ingredients: fipronil 9.8%, (S)-methoprene 8.8%. Frontline Plus for Dogs is a monthly Topical Spot On treatment for fleas and ticks for dogs and puppies 8 weeks or older.

I just want to make the point......... even though the Zodiac says.... "same active ingredient as frontline plus" You are not getting the same product....it is NOT the generic form of frontline plus..... the "other" active ingredients are DIFFERENT. And in my opinion it is worth spending the money to buy frontline plus instead of "zodiac spot on".

Just something to think about......... Thanks,
Julie.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
When I worked at the pet store we sold that crap.

I never recomended it, but to people who already have an infested animal from not taking care of them - they'd buy it anyways.

I always told them to take their dog to the vet for the best options.

Julie

I am back again.
I first saw an advertisement for it in the paper.......
And being sold pretty cheaply. It made me believe it was like "generic" frontline. But then I did a little research and found out all the ingredients....
It is not anywhere near the same.

Just wanted to bring it up. :)

The dog version is also VERY toxic to cats........

Lizmo

Water Junkie
We have ALWAYS gotten Frontline or Frontline Plus for our dogs and ALWAYS will!!!!

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Advantage is awesome.

And you know that Advantix uses permethrin too, right?

I've never known of any reaction to come out of using Advantix.

But like Zodiac, it's also dangerous to cats. So if you're a cat owner, don't use Advantix. Works great on dogs though.

I still prefer advantage though, it's cheaper and I don't really need to kill ticks around my area.

Members online

No members online now.