truck repair question

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
can an alternator drain a battery? A brand new battery? If the alternator was going bad would gauges work, not work, work not work,? Put in a new battery and everything was great for most of the day, trip to the city and back but second trip out was a continual blinking on and off and finally nothing. No tail lights, horn, nada. Scary, made it to the driveway. I have already had to put 18 hundred dollars in and am horrified. I am almost certain the mechanic ripped me off for a grand of something he said he didn't do, but I think he did, just can't prove it. Got it fixed oh well and not a week later this. SO tired of trying so hard. Broken ribs, broken truck, broken house, broken family, 2016 so far blows.

I wish I had one mechanic I could believe would treat me honestly. THis one worked on the back wheels. The next day the left wheel locked up. The tow truck driver said to have someone there when they opened it up, that it should not have happened. They took that truck in the night it was towed in. THey tried to tell me I left the emergency brake on, which the tow truck driver said was not true. They had it in as soon as it arrived not the next morning, and it was late. THe brake pedal had felt squishy, but since the owner of the business had test driven it, I thought ok, it must just be because of what they did. They charged me 12 hounded dollars to fix, he told me too I needed a new battery . So I bought one. Now when I drove it after repair number two, the brake pedal feels like it did before it was worked on the first time.

What would you think? This bull didn't happen when my SO was alive. I don't know automobiles. I know how to nurture and nurse, provide and maintain everything else and they know that I don't know.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
THOUGHT I would share what I have learned for all the others. I made it up to the gas station and talked to a friend. He had a doo hickey you stick in the cigarette lighter that said if it was the alternator or the battery.

THey sold me a bad battery.
Best news I could have. THe rest is doable. Note to self..get doo hickey. THe man that owned it said that it had saved him on several batteries by being able to replace them when they were still on warranty I also learned of someone that rebuilt alternators and talked to two people that could do the work.

joce

Try to find someone local that has a reliable shop. I know one here that I would trust with anyone. Gives free quotes and am comfortable sending anyone to. Wish you lived closer. But talk to people and see who they suggest and tell you to stay away from. Tow truck driver is a good start.

Still mad when dealership I bought my truck from said I needed new tranny for something like five or six grand. Got second opinion and it was around a hundred dollar fix at the above place I talked about and he actually told my husband how to do it. I gave them fifty dollars and bought them all pizza and had my husband fix it. But send everyone there and do go to them for everything now. And did need my tranny done almost six years later or so and it was only two grand.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Thank you for your reply Joyce. THat is exactly what I am talking about. According to the battery store, the device doo hickey thing is not reliable. So darn. It's still the alternator. It is only doing something 13. THat is about how much I understood what he said. I need time, so I am going to get one of those battery charge up portable things while I make an attempt to find the rest. I am too ill to be stranded and that is just an actual factual. They suggested any mechanic in town. Will keep asking. All I hope is there is kharma for all the greedy ones out there that feel they need to profit that way. I will not let that be me,. that is the only thing I can control.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Most of your chain auto stores will test them for free. Not sure if you have an autozone in your area, but they just sell parts, not the service, so they have no axe to grind on selling you to install an alternator versus a battery.

And it's unfortunate that garages still take advantage of women and/or unknowledgable men. The best way to find a reputable shop is word of mouth recommendations, which it sounds like your looking for.

You know I'd come fix it for you if I was closer. I'm sorry you're experiencing this.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Thank you Eddie. :) A friend's son was able to get me back on the road in time to pick Hyia up from swimming. I was so relieved. A win win all the way around, he needed money, I needed help. I will keep looking, I love my old truck I do. I waited a very long time for it.

Members online