Cuddly Dogs

Stingr69

Papillon Fan
Paps are lap dogs. These are no exception. They both try to stay close pretty much all the time.

Snoop Dogg is a very affectionate dog. Not at all bothered with frequent handling. He will lick your hands when he gets a chance. He is always good for a cuddle.

Ditte has been getting more affectionate as she matures. These dogs seem to bond tightly but slowly. She is small so I have to squat down to greet her. She likes to curl up underneath me when I come home. I can pick her up sometimes and she will grumble a tiny bit but she goes limp and peaceful when I get her close. She will sit very tight up against me on the bed before she gets crated for the night. She does not like to cuddle much during the day but mornings and evenings are her preferred times.

Toller_08

Journey: She is very cuddly without being pushy and obnoxious about it. She just likes to curl up beside me or on me and cuddles nicely and doesn't force me to pet her or constantly beg. When she wants to cuddle, she just comes and gently rests her head on the couch or my knee. I love her version of velcro.

Ripley: He is forcefully cuddly. He leans, pushes and shoves, tries to pet himself on an outstretched hand or foot, etc. He's obsessively desperate and it's really, really annoying. I don't let him get away with being super pushy, but that doesn't mean he doesn't try. Nothing's ever enough for him. And then when he does cuddle, he throws all of his weight on you and sticks a paw on your face, moaning and groaning for more. Ridiculous. Some people think it's adorable, but I can't stand the desperation lol.

Dance: Dance is very independent. Not cuddly at all. The only time she cuddles is at night if she's cold (when she's out of coat) or if she's exhausted from a Flyball tournament and I force cuddles on her haha. She likes to be near and in the same room, but doesn't care for a lot of affection. When she's feeling affectionate she comes and woos at you, gets crazy, jumps up for a hug and leaves lol. Such a dork, but pretty adorable.

Ther 3 dogs we have now are very cuddly. My first BC was very standoffish and independant, complete opposite of cuddly and she would only put up with being patted if you told her to "stay" first. This made me very sad although she was a nice obedient dog and very easy to train and work with. She did get a little more affectionate as a senior citizen but always very aloof. My second BC liked to follow me around and be patted but rejected proper cuddles :( as a senior citizen she just got grumpy, like if you were sharing the couch and your foot touched her she would get off the couch and glare.

When I was first talking to Gael and Kep's breeder 5 years ago I told her I wanted a girl pup for this and that sport and should have this and that sort of temperament but in the end just send me the cuddliest one, which she did for both Gael and Kep. They are both very physically affectionate dogs. Gael would crawl inside your skin and live there if she could. She cuddles with her head and her paws and all over you. Kep is all that and kind of licky with it. They would probably annoy some people, like Ripley's owner above!

Scout our Brittany I also asked if she was cuddly and she is a great lap dog, very heat-seeking but mainly will curl up and go to sleep. My husband finds the BC brand of cuddling a bit annoying, he would rather they just curl up and go to sleep like Scout does.

k9krazee

Are any of your dogs "cuddly"? If so, is that just with you, with dogs, or both?

Jack likes to be close and be held--he'll be super cute and "cuddle in" while groaning and being adorable. But it usually lasts a few minutes at most. He will also plop down forcibly anywhere--which sometimes means on top of Crossbone, but it's not on purpose.

Crossbone likes just to be on top of people. Or between his people. Or on your head. His face draped across your neck. Crossbone does try to cuddle with Jack and sometimes Jack allows it.

Is there anything beyond just personality that you attribute this to?

Besides personality, I think Jack gets hot really easily and Crossbone is always cold.

Does gender appear to take a role in your household? (Either the dog only cuddles with a certain gender, or it's only a certain gender of dog that cuddles)

Equal opportunist cuddlers. The only thing that would make them want to cuddle with someone over the other is the presence of a blanket.

Do you like cuddly dogs?
YESSSSS. I would like it more if Crossbone would actually cuddle more and creepily stand over me and stare less when I'm trying to nap on the couch.

And lastly, those with dogs like like to cuddle, are there any that appear to actively be trying to kill you by suffocation? lol

Crossbone routinely tries to kill us by suffocation. Especially if we are in bed and won't let him cuddle between us--then he'll sit on our heads or drape himself across our faces.

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
Are any of your dogs "cuddly"? If so, is that just with you, with dogs, or both?

Lancer is the most cuddly dog I have ever beheld. If velcro had a face, it would look like Lancer. He also happens to be super soft and fuzzy, so I feel like a giant fur blanket exploded on my lap and is actively trying to meld itself into my arms.
He is cuddly with pretty much everybody who will accept it, including a slinky Rara. LOL.

Rara is all no touchy. She will tolerate it if you insist on cuddling, but just to humor you for a minute or two before jumping away and shaking it off.

Probably just luck, but every male dog I've encountered has been much more outgoing and CUDDLE WITH MEEEEEEE than female dogs- especially Aussies? HUH.

Does gender appear to take a role in your household? (Either the dog only cuddles with a certain gender, or it's only a certain gender of dog that cuddles)

Everyone with fur and a tail seems to love to cuddle and lick my dad's face- I blame it on the fact that he has high blood sugar though. I believe his skin somehow tastes better to the dogs. They won't stop licking him as if he's food. (Gruesome, but true I tell ya)

Do you like cuddly dogs?

YES. Rara disappoints me often.

And lastly, those with dogs like like to cuddle, are there any that appear to actively be trying to kill you by suffocation?

It's something called soft, fuzzy, and warm suffocation. I'd gladly die by fuzzocation.

Joey: He's a cuddler, but I think it's mostly for warmth than for companionship. He's also an equal opportunity cuddler and cuddle with anyone who's sitting down, but he doesn't like to be forced to cuddle. He also likes to have the scar on his back rubbed, so if you happen to have a hand of foot sticking out he'll use it to itch himself. It's a little off putting for people who aren't used to his scar.

Lucy: Lucy is also a cuddler. For her I think it's about both warmth and companionship. She tends to only really cuddle with her "people".

Walter: Walter loves to cuddle. It's definitely about companionship for him because he often gets himself too hot trying to cuddle. He's very demanding about it too which can be annoying at times. He's also the only dog I know that loves to be hugged. If you're sitting on the couch he'll come up and sit beside you. Then he rests his head on your opposite shoulder and leans into you. You're supposed to put your arms around him and give him a squeeze. He's also an equal opportunity cuddler and he LOVES strangers.

Elrohwen

I love cuddly dogs! None of our dogs growing up were cuddly and I disliked that about them. They would follow you around, or ask for pets, but they did not cuddle ever.

Watson loves to cuddle. He's not obnoxious or in your face about it, but if I'm on the recliner with the foot rest up, he'll jump up and curl in between my legs. Or he'll sit next to me on the couch pushed up against me. And he almost always sleeps in bed curled against my legs.

He's also very easy going with being manhandled. DH will just randomly grab him, flip him on his back, and do all sorts of weird things, and Watson loves it.

Lotta loves to cuddle with everyone :p She likes people so much. Lotta always goes to everyone and ask for attention. She also licks people :D

Mine love cuddling, but they never try to actually lay on top of me they will just rest their heads or paws on me. Ryker has slept under the blankets with me since he was a baby and I love cuddling with him, but it's super annoying when I'm laying down and he's standing on my pillow with his butt in my face nudging me and the blankets to try to get under.

Michiyo-Fir

Nia is one of the most un-cuddly dogs I know... She will tolerate being held for a few minutes but never actively seeks out cuddling. She will sometimes lie on my leg when she's sleeping at night but that's about the extent of it. If I try to cuddle with her, unless she's really tired, 90% of the time she will get up and leave....

I don't think she cuddles anymore with males or females...or other dogs. However, she does seem to like to lie on my boyfriend's stomach or chest which is really weird for her. I'm actually really jealous she'll sometimes ask to be on his body and then just go to sleep! Not fair! He's the only person she does that to in my entire family.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution

They all are, to some degree. Jari likes to be pet, but generally will be at arms length for whatever reason, and once you're done petting him he's gone LOL.

Kimma doesn't like to be pet really, but she does like to curl up beside you, or sometimes on top of you :p

Bubbles LOVES CUDDLING. All the time. Her favorite thing ever. Though she can be a pest about it sometimes.

Just the way they are!

Kimma is way more in to letting guys pet/sit with her. She will do that with my sister and me (my sister lives here) and my best friend, but "new" women she doesn't care about as much as "new" guys.

Jari likes to be pet by me, my sister, and my DH. Otherwise I think he's still too excited about people being over to settle in any way hahaha.

Bubbles will take anyone.

Do you like cuddly dogs?

Not really LOL. Kimma is my perfect amount of cuddle. Not super annoying about being pet, but still will settle right next to me. I think Jari is going to be the same way. However, I will say that when I'm feeling sick, it is comforting to have a little Bubble dog draped on top of me for hours on end hahaha.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Morgan desire to cuddle isn't always consistant. And even when he's in the mood for cuddles he's not really after the embracing arms sort of interaction. He just wants to lie as close as possible, with as much of his surface area touching mine as possible. He does this with my husband, and my 8mo daughter as well. He used to with my 3yo son, too, but I think the boy is a bit too loud for Morgan's liking at the moment. :p

He will let me hug him and such. I don't think he minds. It just isn't his personal style.

I like cuddly dogs, though I'm glad Morgan isn't insistent about it. It's nice that he likes some close affection without being pushy about it.

Members online