What do you do "wrong"?

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I forgot the e-collar. I do use the e-collar to proof a recall though the only dog I've used it on is Cricket.

I also use bark collars on occasion and now that we have a newborn baby living in our house upstairs I'm going to have to probably use them again.

Sekah

The Monster.
I mix raw and kibble, sometimes within minutes of one another.

My dogs don't wear collars and are therefore without any ID 99% of the time. The Chihuahua isn't microchipped. They are walked off leash often.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Um like everything...

I feed raw and I'm probably not as anal about variety/balance as people would like to think... and I'm lazy about clean up. As in, I don't really do it. I mean, they eat in their crates, not dragging it around the house, but...yeah.

I love me a good prong collar, not even for administering corrections but for pulling on leash and generally giving the handler better physical control. I think the current obsession with head halters is largely BS except for in the case of specific behavior issues.

I "scold" my dogs around the house all the time, but they don't care. It's a lot of me moaning, "Noooooooooooo, why?!" or "Keeva, SERIOUSLY? GET OFF THE TABLE." Effective training ftw.

What's NILIF? :) :rofl1:

I don't think dogs "need" punishment/compulsion/force/aversives but sometimes I choose to use them in an educated manner. I acknowledge that this is a choice. My hands are not bound, but I still do it on occasion because for me and that particular dog, in that particular situation, the cost/benefit analysis works out.

On that note, I ****ing love bark collars. And, wearing a bark collar while she's kenneled at bitework is the only way Blossom will settle down enough to drink in between sessions. Go figure. *hugs bark collar*

Oh and the usual ones... my dogs jump up, pull on leash, and are generally rude and rowdy.

Oh yeah, and I got told off for saying I didn't care if my dogs don't let strangers in the house (unless I make introductions). Yeah, apparently that's "not normal" and requires a behaviorist. LMAO Guardy dogs ftw?

DJEtzel

LOL, I like to call these threads "What works for you, but might not work for others"...

My dogs beg, and get safe table scraps on a daily basis. I don't mind at all as long as they aren't jumping on me or stealing my food.

We don't go on walks... I don't think Recon has been on a leashed "walk" around the neighborhood, yet. Off leash or hikes are the way to go, once or twice a week.

We encourage zoomies in the house, and Sir has ripped our bedsheets from zooming across the bed... Whoops.

The dogs are almost never on a leash unless we're in a store or public... they run loose to our cars, into the house, follow us around doing yardwork...

I never slowly switch food... It's always one or the other.

I say no to them all the time.

We allow barking and screaming at us in the house if it's cute.

I leave dogs together unsupervised at night or when we leave. (not the pit bull)

I don't restrain my dogs in the car.

I leave dogs in the car when we go shopping/visiting whomever if the weather is safe.

Red.Apricot

At obed. drop in night I'm kneeling on the ground before we go in hugging my dog telling her she's a beautiful smoochy yes she is while all the other handlers are standing around looking serious. DON'T CODDLE YOUR DOG MAKE HER BE SRS BEANS.

I use food to lure while clicker training instead of shaping everything because Elsie psychs herself out sometimes.

I let her put her feet on my desk to see what's going on up here whenever she wants.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I'm not trying to fix Kes' counter surfing behavior. It's too much hassle. >.<

The dogs get food scraps from the table (tho only passive begging is allowed).

When I get frustrated I yell. :rolleyes:

I'm totally encouraging Snipe to look for mice in our yard and house ever since we saw one a few days ago.

The dogs don't get much formal training. I train things super randomly.

We rarely go on actual walks.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
My dogs don't wear collars and are therefore without any ID 99% of the time. The Chihuahua isn't microchipped. They are walked off leash often.
I'm not even sure I have tags for all of my dogs and neither of the pit bulls are microchipped.

Luckily it's required in schutzhund so my malinois are chipped.

Hudson has no manners.

He pulls on the leash, has a tendency to jump on people (especially me. And I encourage it! Sometimes I don't want to bend down).

I should wait for him to sit before taking the leash off, but I've got things to do!

The only commands he really knows are variations of a recall. Everything else is pretty 'meh' and I don't really work on it

When (and before) I got my first dog: I'll never have a dog that jumps and/or puts it's paws up on people. Any such behavior will be nipped in the bud ASAP.
Now: "Ruthie, HUGS!!" *Ruthie jumps up at me*

Rule: A crate is not a punishment.
Now: "doG #*!$&@ Dreizehn, go to your crate!"
*Though, if we're sticking with the idea that a crate is a safe space than I guess it's keeping him safe from me.

Perceived Rule: A good owner walks their dogs multiple times a week.
Me: Takes my dogs out for a walk a couple times a year.

Rule: Begging is bad.
Me: "You can get some if you can catch it." *tosses treat*

Rule: Don't repeat commands.
Me: "Down. Lay down. Laaaaaay down. Don't make me ask you again! All the way, Dreizehn!"

I use a prong to walk my big dog.
I feed kibble but give raw for treats all of the time.

I'm sure there's more, lol

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Oh, yes. I don't restrain the dogs in the car, although I do make them ride in the backseat unless they're on a lap.

Cynder has ridden in the back of the pickup before. And I fully intend on teaching Future Puppy to ride back their comfortabley, encase we ever take him swimming and we don't want a 90 pound wet dog in the cab with us.

I also feed the dogs table scraps if they are laying down and being quiet. Although Cynder gets things without doing anything, because she's just good. Lol

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
My "vice" is tossing food to the dogs while I cook people meals. Little bits of this and that which means the dogs station themselves in the kitchen whenever I'm cooking. My only defense is I usually toss to the dog farthest away from me first, and occasionally fake 'em out by dropping something and saying leave it, just to make sure I still have a solid leave-it in case I drop something they should not eat.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I let my dogs lick plates.

Mia is a demand barker and I don't fix that.

My dogs still bark in their crates.

I too feed them pizza crust.

I don't crate them for the trip to agility. It's mostly county roads. So... Sometimes I catch Mia riding on top of the head rest.

I walk off leash almost exclusively.

My dogs whine/bark in the car always.

I don't care that Mia screams when she's excited- including going outside to potty.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Uh, well. This was my post on FB yesterday :p

And that is a daily occurrence. I just don't care if my dogs are on the table. We wipe it down anyway before we eat.

I don't care about leash manners with my two. When I get a larger dog, heck yes I will! They both have Gentle Leaders for the times when I need more control (Frodo almost always has his GL on when we go out), and other than that I just let them be dogs and sniff and pull if they want to when we walk. I'm a total hypocrite though at work when people come in looking for prongs/choke chains/GLs/Easy Walks and tell them these tools are supposed to be used in conjuncture with training or most dogs will learn to pull through them :cool:

I mix raw and kibble in the same meal EVERY day and EVERY meal. For shame.

I do walk my dogs every day though, all you people who don't are TERRIBLE OWNERS! :rofl1:

milos_mommy

This thread is making me feel like a rules-jerk.

Our dogs get pizza crust.

My family does a lot of horrible stuff they shouldn't do/lets them get away with everything, but most of the time I don't even though it doesn't make a difference, and when I lived on my own I didn't let them get away with anything.

I guess I let him run out the back door like a freakin' maniac, but I don't care about that. It's nice to let them get irrationally excited sometimes. And I do repeat commands sometimes, or occasionally let them not get away with following through - but I don't think I'd do that if my family didn't do it constantly.

Stuff like begging, barking, racing out the door on a leash, pacing in the car, not listening to commands, inappropriately climbing on furniture, jumping on people, UH, Heck no not in my house. You either follow the rules by choice or I will MAKE you follow the rules.

Paige

Let it be
Bandit licks all the plates clean in the house. He is an awful begger because I feed him just about everything. I NEVER switch kibble slowly. I just buy him randomstuff and he eats it.

He is leash reactive but because I always walk with a stroller I don't care. I just stick him on the other side of the stroller when passing other dogs.

I have allowed him to now chase down Briggs when he runs away and stop Briggs by any means. That includes grabbing his sweater sleeve and wrenching him off balance or body slamming him.

I let him sleep in bed with Briggs.

I think its hilarious when he blows off people that aren't me.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I'll let Rumor pace and whine to her heart's content if I'm busy.

She begs. Thankfully we've shaped it into her laying down outside of the kitchen and pleading longingly with her eyes.

She sits on the chairs at the kitchen table.

She wears a prong. I gave up trying to get a good loose-lead walk with her, and prefer not to have my arm pulled off. We go on walks for fun, anyway, not to follow rules.

If she ignores me when I tell her to come back in from the yard, I'll say "Okay bye" and walk inside.

She barks. A lot. At everything.

She can be a butthole if she wants to be. I ask her to sit while I get her food. She'll start to lower her butt while I'm looking, stands back up when I turn away, look back "Umm...," starts to lower butt again, look away and she stands back up. Repeat process until she decides to sit.

She chases bees, with and without heavy encouragement. She used to get stung a lot, but now she's a lot better about grabbing them and smashing them to death without getting stung.

I'm sure there's more. She's expected to have manners, but she's still allowed to be a brat.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
What's NILIF? :) :rofl1:

Oh and the usual ones... my dogs jump up, pull on leash...
^
This...totally this!

Also Watson has some serious attention seeking behaviors that are too cute to be ignored. One ignores the basenji at their own risk.

Don't say no?! Ha!!!

...also probably a million other things.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I was once told on the other forum that since I didn't care if my dogs jump on me they would not be rehomable. It was in a 'small dogs are terrible because their owners don't train them' thread. Yeah I really have a hard time seeing a jumping 8 lb dog as being unable to be rehomed if I do croak or something.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I was once told on the other forum that since I didn't care if my dogs jump on me they would not be rehomable. It was in a 'small dogs are terrible because their owners don't train them' thread. Yeah I really have a hard time seeing a jumping 8 lb dog as being unable to be rehomed if I do croak or something.
Well if you do croak Mia is coming to Canada anyways so you don't have to worry about her ;)

Members online

No members online now.