Art had a seizure

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
He his under the bed last night because of the (really loud) celebration the town was having a block away. So I went to bed not too worried and this morning he was still under the bed, but he was acting really weird. He kept looking around but didn't seem to realize were he was. He wouldn't come out from under the bed, so I moved the bed and picked him up. I repeatedly tried putting him in a standing position on the bed but he would just fall to his side, which is when I started panicking.

I called my vet and they said to bring him in. I got him in a towel and when we were outside he seemed a bit better so I put him on the ground to see if he'd walk and he did, though wobbly. But he was definitely seeming a lot better. By the time we got to the vet he seemed almost normal. Well, normal to someone who doesn't know him but I could still tell some minor diffrences in the way he was walking.

They asked if he ever had a similar episode which made me think of the time he was hiding under the couch a couple years ago and growled at me and snapped at me when I tried grabbing him, but then a minute later was back to normal. So I think he has had at least one seizure before and we just didn't realize what it was.

So they gave me the option to do further testing or take the wait and see approach, with the advice that though there's no way to say for sure when the next one will happen (if it ever does) being his history, the vet probably wouldn't be doing a ton of testing right away.

So now I'm paranoid-ly hovering over him watching for any signs of a seizure. :ninja:

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Seizures are scary when they happen...

I have had two dogs with seizure disorders and they can be quite manageable...sometimes even without having to medicate depending on what the dog's seizure patterns are.

From what you have said he has had two seizures over the course of years...also they sound like they were fairly mild (just disorientation and limb weakness) so based on that I would say you don't have to worry too much at this point.

It could very well be that if he was overly stressed from the loud noise you mentioned that that acted as a trigger for the episode.

If you want to know more about my personal experiences with my seizure dogs or need to talk more about it you can pm me anytime :)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Seizures are scary when they happen...

I have had two dogs with seizure disorders and they can be quite manageable...sometimes even without having to medicate depending on what the dog's seizure patterns are.

From what you have said he has had two seizures over the course of years...also they sound like they were fairly mild (just disorientation and limb weakness) so based on that I would say you don't have to worry too much at this point.

It could very well be that if he was overly stressed from the loud noise you mentioned that that acted as a trigger for the episode.

If you want to know more about my personal experiences with my seizure dogs or need to talk more about it you can pm me anytime :)
Thank you. That's pretty much what the vet said. Unless it get's worse in some way I don't think we will seek medication.

The only thing I'm worried about now is he still doesn't seem to be 100%. The vet said it could take a while, like a couple of hours, but of course they are closed now. I mean it's not super concerning, it's more that he's just super tired and still has a wobble to his gait. Plus, he can't quiet make the jump to the bed, which was always an easy hop for him. I figured he'd be back to 100% by now, but idk maybe it takes a while.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I have heard from quite a few people that seizures can be triggered by stressful situations.

Definitely a good idea to be vigilant about it as well as triggers.
Please keep us updated on how Art is doing!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I completely understand your paranoia about a potential future one.

Joey has had three seizures now. Two were grand mal. My husband witnessed the first one and we both witnessed the second one. They happened within 5 hours of each other.

His third one wasn't too long ago and it was more of a focal type seizure and was mainly in his face.

Every time he has had a seizure he doesn't seem to know what's going on. He gets very stiff legged and disoriented.

My recommendation is to start journaling his episodes. Write down anything you know about it, time, what exactly happened, how long it seemed to last, what effects you noticed in him, weather, anything out of the ordinary. Essentially by journaling his episodes the hope is to try to narrow down a potential trigger and to figure out how frequent his seizures are.

Please do not hesitate to shoot me a PM if you need to talk. I'm still fairly new to all this too with Joey. He is the first dog I've had that has had seizures.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I have heard from quite a few people that seizures can be triggered by stressful situations.

Definitely a good idea to be vigilant about it as well as triggers.
Please keep us updated on how Art is doing!
Thanks :) He's seems to be back to 100%! It seems Moth was right, he just needed some time to get back to normal and sleeping it off seemed to help a lot.

Replied :) THank you!

I completely understand your paranoia about a potential future one.

Joey has had three seizures now. Two were grand mal. My husband witnessed the first one and we both witnessed the second one. They happened within 5 hours of each other.

His third one wasn't too long ago and it was more of a focal type seizure and was mainly in his face.

Every time he has had a seizure he doesn't seem to know what's going on. He gets very stiff legged and disoriented.

My recommendation is to start journaling his episodes. Write down anything you know about it, time, what exactly happened, how long it seemed to last, what effects you noticed in him, weather, anything out of the ordinary. Essentially by journaling his episodes the hope is to try to narrow down a potential trigger and to figure out how frequent his seizures are.

Please do not hesitate to shoot me a PM if you need to talk. I'm still fairly new to all this too with Joey. He is the first dog I've had that has had seizures.
I had no idea Joey had seizures :( Poor guy! Do you mind if I ask if you are going to try the medication route or not? And if there's any testing you are doing or if you know what is causing his at all?

I'm definitely going to write about this one and the other (suspected) seizure episode. The hard part is, he obviously runs and hides either under the couch or bed on both occassions, and since he was under the bed all night I really don't know if he had more than one seizure or what the others looked like. I guess at least I know about the hiding behavior.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.