Have your dogs picked up habits from your other dogs?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer was cracking me up last night because she has gotten so into chasing birds and rabbits. We were walking around and she was going nuts after them. And all by herself too! I know she picked it up from Mia. Summer has 0 prey drive but she loves chasing Mia when Mia is chasing animals and now Summer has decided- at 10 years old- that chasing animals is fun by itself.

Another one is that Summer has figured out how to use furniture around the house to climb onto other furniture. Like the table.....

She's also recently decided that she wants to ride on top of the head rests in the car- like Mia does. And if I get out of the car both jump up on the head rests to watch what I'm doing.

Oddly enough Mia has not picked up any of Summer's behaviors (and Summer has a lot of oddities). I guess Summer is just a follower.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'm pretty sure Juno and Cajun only bark because Lucy is a horrible influence.

That's all I got! Otherwise they all just do their own weird stuff.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Barking when someone knocks/rings the door bell

I
****ING
HATE
THIS

We have always lived in apartments, he never did it.

a few weeks in my moms place with a dog who does it and now he LOVES IT

Shakou

Yes! Ma'ii does what we call the "frog sit" where basically he lays stretched out on his stomach with his back legs folded out behind him like a frog. He picked this up from Charlotte, who's the frog sitting queen, a year after we adopted him. It's hilarious when they are laying next to each other, doing it. They look like twins!

Also, I don't think this is exactly a habit they've picked up from each other, but they have adapted their own play style together. They stretch out on their sides, and roll around on their backs, and bite each others faces XD They are a lot more rough and tumble with the few dog friends they do have. They ONLY play like this with each other.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Not exactly a habit but if one dog is barking, the rest are like YAY WE IS BARKING YAY. When they have zero idea what the one is barking about, which is probably nothing to begin with. Idiots.

Also, it's not a habit so much as a "skill." Auggie teaches Payton how to do things, like, you know... open doors. Or a few weeks ago, I put up some small gates to block off part of the backyard. Auggie knew if you got up on the retaining wall to the garden and walked around on that, you could get past the gate. Payton was too dumb to figure this out... until he saw Auggie do it. GASP! Then Payton is in the back of the yard causing trouble again. DANG IT AUGGIE. STOP SHOWING THE PUPPY HOW TO GET INTO MORE TROUBLE.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Not really.

I guess Cynder is a but more playful, a bit more "alert" when someone is at the door, and she actually waded into water on her own free will. Most of those are Abrams influenced. Lol

Abrams, however, gets nothing from her besides maybe sticking close by. Which is nice, not a bad thing.

Gracie, my mom's Dschshund, used to not bark at anything. Now she barks and carries on whenever someone comes home, or leaves, because that is what Chloe does and barking is FUN!

Yes.

Fergus thinks he's a Koolie. He might end up killing himself one of these days replicating their moves.

Locke

My current foster dog copies most of what Smiley does, including his overly exuberant greetings when I get home, and his "breakfast/dinner time" launching off the kitchen cabinets. She also started jumping onto the couch by jumping on the arm of it and then finding a seat, which is what Smiley does now because foster dog is usually in the way....I'm sorry to whoever adopts her. At least my foster is only 6 lbs!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
In the first year we had her, Kim barked exactly one time. By accident. And thought it was horrible.

Then we brought home...the terrier.

Now? Now Kim thinks that all the noises she can make are aMAZing, the louder and weirder, the better. We call her The Wookie for a reason.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
The talking.

It started with Cobain making his "woo roo" noises and getting attention for it (ah crap I see how I created this monster now :p).
Then Rigby started doing it soon after she came to live with us.

Around the time we got Ruby, Oz started trying to do it too. 7 years with the Border Collie and he's finally learning lol.

Catsi

Grace starting barking more when Abby came to live with us. Not that much more. She was never a big barker to begin with.

I've also had a very swap in the way each dog copes with storms. Grace used to be bombproof. Thunder did not bother her at all. Abby grew up during a season of no thunderstorms so when they did finally come, she was very sensitive to them. Over time, Abby has actually gotten better, she barely worries now. On the other hand, Grace has started to be quite affected by them. But in turn, this hasn't caused Abby to revert back to her old behaviours either. So really it probably has nothing to do with one another - although I think Grace helped Abby in the beginning.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Sally used to silent while playing until we got Jack, who is very vocal while playing with other dogs and even occasionally vocal when playing alone-he'll bark and growl at his toys. Now Sally thinks it's great fun to make horrible growly-barky sounds while they're wrestling.

Jack learned excessive licking from Sally...

Toller_08

Ugh. Yes. Dance whines in the car because of the Dobermans and Journey now barks at noises and at the door thanks to Dance. They never pick up any good traits haha. I shouldn't say never I supposed. Dance learned to talk from Tango, who learned from Echo (one of our Rottweilers). And Keira is partially to commend for Journey's confidence and bravery out and about - I purposely made a point of taking those two out together a lot because Keira was so flawless in public.

yoko

Not really a habit but I know back when I had lady she was scared of everything. She was abused really REALLY bad before we got her and was afraid of men, houses, water, noises you name it she was scarred. She trusted two people and that was it. She was never aggressive she would just run from everything.

When I moved home with Yoshi she changed. She saw yoshi running around, swimming and getting into stuff and it really opened her up. I really believe Yoshi being around her gave her a few extra years. Toward the end she even came in the house and slept with me a few times. After seeing Yoshi get on the bed with nothing happening she loved coming in and cuddling when going to sleep.

She went from maybe 3 baths her entire life to taking weekly showers. She went from being terrified of water to running and getting in it to play with Yoshi.

They never picked up each others habits but I definitely saw an affect on her confidence from Yoshi.

Lyzelle

Yes.

Quinn (and maybe some of the other resident BC's) are quite convinced all the sounds Zander makes IS THE BEST THING EVER. They barked and made wookie sounds before. But now? It's obviously the only thing to do. Ever. Because it is so awesome.

They routinely hold howling and barking and talking fests downstairs.

Members online

No members online now.