pigs and dogs, live together?

I swear Molly was a mix breed. She got HUGH! I started with a litterbox for her. She outgrew it, so I got a longer box, she outgrew it. I got a longer one. She got so she'd fit in it ok, but backed up and peed totally missing the box. So I put a box behind it to catch the pee! Then it dawned on me, she wont poop anywhere but outside, what the heck am I doing here! She can go outside to pee. So I took the boxes away and made her go outside.
She did not like to get her feet wet. If it was rainy she wouldnt go outside without us pushing her out the door. She was HUGH, it took me and my girls to push her out the door. She'd quickly do her thing and come back in. When she had to go she'd go to the back door, look at it and make her sighing noise she'd make. She was so funny. But got to big for in a house. I loved her. First time she got sick, couldnt get her up. It was a sunday and I called my vet. Then the min he answered I burst into tears and cried "MY PIG IS SICK!". She was so big though with her being sick, if she didnt get up it'd take at least one strong man to get her in a truck to take to the vet! Finally got her to the vets and he gave her some shots, next day she went back for a check up and 2nd shot, she remembered him and jumped in my lap (I was on the ground trying to help hold her). He laughed because he'd never seen a hugh pig like that sit in the lap of someone, and then for it to be as someone as small as I was then (barely 100 lbs, oh the good ole days).
They are a joy to have, but really got to be careful who you buy them from. Trust me, I know.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
too big for the house is something that a person in an apartment should really pay attention to. I have heard this over and over agiain. I am glad you changed your mind...there is a qoute in the Little Prince,,i don't remember it exactly but the jest is ...that you changed me ..therefore you are responsible for me ..i can never be what i once was..it is the truest statement i have ever read. .when you bring an animal into your life, you take a responsibility for that life..it shouldnt be just tossed aside, great consideration should always be taken before entering in their destiny... IF u change your mind you have cheated that animal greatly for someone else might have taken them and given them all they truly deserved....Great Story!

When u drive past a pig farm, take a notice at how big a hog is....this is how big Molly was only her belly hung lower. She was HUGH.
I had a bean bag, Molly thought it was hers. She would move it around with her nose until she got it perfect then lay on it. One of these days I'll dig out a picture of her and post it for everyone to see how big she was. She was something else. Had it just been me, I would have kept her but the older she got the more territorial she was becoming, and the more attitude she was getting.
I was raised on a farm, we had hogs and Molly had this hog like attitude. She reminded me of the hogs on the farm, the difference was she was very clean and picky about her cleaniness. She'd have no part of bad weather, wasnt going out in the heat, in the cold, no rain, no snow, she just didnt like the outdoors. Molly also would eat paper. If my girls laid their book bags on the floor, Molly would walk by and get into the bookbags to remove paper. How many teachers would believe a pig ate the homework?!
Molly was a learning experience for me. I got lots of bruises from her. From when she'd go into heat and she'd follow me around nudging me with her nose, non stop! This would last 3 days. I'd have to pen her up in the kitchen for 3 days. But it hurt and would bruise. Then she got so she'd maybe be mad because we had company or something, she'd walk past us, and swat us with her nose, make her grunting noise and keep right on walking to the room she was heading for. No idea what the heck it was about but oviously she was letting us know she wasnt happy about something! With jeans on the hit wasnt to bad, but in the summer when our legs were exposed, sometimes she'd get us just right it'd draw blood.
I wish I had lived on a farm where I could have fixed her up a perfect home in a barn. I truely loved her so much. And I would do it again if I had a home in the country in case the pig turned out to be a mix breed. In fact I want to get a pig again someday, just not a indoor pet. After Molly I understand if its not a purebred, inside a house is NOT the place for a hog. lol, Molly sure didnt know it! She was queen and this was her castle. But no, I'd wait until you have a good set up for a pig and good understanding of them.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Becca when i worked at the zoo..i was in the tropical habitat. I loved it in there, i took care of many incredible species, like the giant turtles, the african porcupines, a mother sloth and bush babies..many more..it was so awesome. One day the lady that takes care of the baby hippos was ill and i had to clean their pen. Big is a bit scary isn't it? i was finished hosing and using the squeegy on their "lake" and it was refilling so i sat down on the rock wall when one of those "babies" came and put it's head down on my lap. I thought my legs were going to break. I couldn't move that head for love nor money. Your pig story made me think of that! I was a bit scared of those hippos. They had me climb a steep rock wall that devided the hippo pool from the aligator (he being 16 ft bad tempered false gavrial) to feed the cranes that wouldn't come down. I would pray each day please if i fall..let me fall into the aligator's pool. If i landed in the hippo they would drown me. I saw them do it to a duck on a regular basis. If the duck never stood a chance.......Later they asked me to work with the elephants and i turned it down. I wasn't about to work with Casey. He was a mean tempered bull elephant. My decision was the right one, even tho it cost me the job. The man that took the job was trying to hurry casey on by tapping him on the hip with the handle of an ax..casey gored him with his tusk. EVeryone i know that has had a pig has said it got to big to manage. Especially indoors. A hundred lb dog is a handful. I felt so bad when i saw all those pigs at the shelter...it just isn't fair for marketers to promote something that just can't be. a weird way to get to the point of my post..sorry.

I have always wanted to work in a zoo. We have a small one a hour drive from us. I just think it'd be so neat to work in a zoo....as long as I didnt have to take care of snakes!!!!
I am glad to hear you say that people you know who had pigs, all the pigs got to large. I hated it that I had to give up Molly. We really loved her, really enjoyed her. But when you have small kids and this hugh pig is letting everyone know its her house, dont ever forget it. She could hurt someone. She had me bruised many times! I wished I would have known all this stuff before hand, I never would have done that to Molly. Had Molly lived her life outside she would have never known any different.

Amstaffer

If they are socialized they will be fine. But as someone said the Pig hurting the dog is a much more likely case. Especially that small of a breed. Even a small pig could lay on a MP and hurt them.

Members online