help or advice please

dazzlet

hi my dog holly has recently just started her periods about 8 days ago for the first time ever she is 11 months old.
everything seems ok.
just she got through the fence today and was mounted by next doors dog which is of the same breed as her they got stuck together for about 15 mins.
does this mean my dog will definitely be pregnant or will she not be as she was having a period.
please help
thanks daz

showpug

There is a very good chance she WILL become pregnant. You spoke of them being "stuck" together for about 15 minutes. This is called a "tie" and is a normal part of most succesfull breedings. There is no way to say for sure either way, but dogs do get pregnant while they bleed and shortly after they stop bleeding. If you don't want puppies, you may want to consider getting her spayed right away. There are extra fees if she is in heat or pregnant, but if you have it done REALLY soon, they won't be able to detect that early of a pregnancy, and chances are, you will only have to pay the additonal "heat" fee. Otherwise, happy waiting. Gestation for dogs is "about" 65 days. You can usually tell if they are pregnant half way through. :( Good luck. Keep us posted

I agree with what showpug said. I strongly urge you to have your dog spayed. There are who knows how many puppies being euthanized every year.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
When Gus was indiscrete with the neighbours dog 2 days after his op, she had the morning after injection!! This may be something you want to look into for the immediate problem, but I agree with the others I would get her spayed!

bubbatd

I would check with your vet a.s.a.p......It may not be too late to stop.....otherwise I'd consider the spay. A 15 minute tie usually means a breeding.

dazzlet

hi i have been in touch with my vet and they said that in order to be sure to stop the pregnancy with an injection they have to wait untill she is 2 weeks gone and then give her an injection and then a further injection 24hours later
is this true
my ***** is a minature beadlington terrier and she was mounted by a standard beadlington terrier
thanks for the advice

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
what Gus said..i would be running her all the way there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

showpug

:) A spay would probably be better than the injection, especially if you are planning on spaying her anyway. The injection is more helpful for those who intend to breed their dogs and an accident happens to soon, or with the wrong dog. After all is said and done, the spay$ may be less or equal to injection cost with vet visits etc. I would get your pooch spayed.

Members online

No members online now.