Conversation today

I work in Dilbert Cube World at work and this Market Research company guy was walking by my cube and saw all my rescue advertisement on the outside. He stopped by to make conversation and ended up sitting inside with me for about 20 minutes. He let me know that he had a Chocolate lab he got thru rescue and was really proud of himself. Said that the dog had to be given up because the family had to move to an apt., couldn't keep it, yadda X3. He kept going on and on what a great dog he was right from the start. I let him know that's how most dogs get placed thru rescue is that they're already in foster homes, get evaluated, get worked with, and can be placed in the homes that best meet their needs, as well as the potential owner's needs. Then he asked me what my lab(s) were like when I got them. I let him know they were both FREAKS... total untrained strays that were out of control. You should have seen the look on his face! He thought I was crazy!! I let him know that what I like best is getting someone out from euthansia (at least in Hunter's world) and working with the dog to make them the best they can be. Both Yogi and Hunter were sad strays with a very sad background, I'm sure. I gave them both a second chance and love and bonding that really pays off. You may not have that with every dog. But the eyes say everything! I remember sending my Mom to the Humane Society to visit Hunter before I was willing to take him in as a "foster". I was too much of a wus to go myself because that place kills me. She met him and told me he had such KIND eyes... and she knew he was one of us. Well, he got sprung the night before his execution date and he's my baby for life. Yes, I have had to work with him EXTRA hard. Not just obedience school, but teaching at home, etc. And now I can walk my neighborhood with him off leash and the second I want him by my side, all I have to say is "Hunter"... don't even need to call for him... he's the best!!!!

Renee750il said:
Hunter's really stepped up to the plate for you, Amy. And I know both of you still miss Eli.
You're right, Renee. No person or dog will ever fill the void of Eli. He was my heart-mate for life. No dog OR person will ever fill his paws. He was part of my soul. We will meet again, though... that's what keeps me happy!

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I love Hunter! His smiling face in your sig makes me smile everytime I look at it!! :D
I'm sure Hunter knows what you have done for him by rescuing him from certain death, and although he will never take dear Eli's place, in time he may help to numb that pain a little. I'm so glad you both found each other when you needed each other most! I think it is fate!!

Irish

I think that is wonderful what you do, taking a dog that is "out of control", adult and otherwise unwanted and making him into the dog he was meant to be. Anyone can take home a cuddly puppy, and its great if they do, but to take a dog such as yours is truely "rescuing" a dog - my hat is off to you! And by the way I LOVE your pic too!

Members online

No members online now.