My dog keeps being gay.

H

h2304

I have 2 yellow labs, female, and somtimes they mount each other. Are they gay or are they just confused?

They're most likely just jockeying for position. Shiva tries that with Kharma whenever it crosses her mind that Kharma's on her way to being bigger and has a little more moxy. Kharma used to put up with it, but now she turns around and snarls her lip up at Shiva. It's just one of those 'dog' things, lol.

Are your girls spayed? If not, they will also do it when they're coming into season. Out here on a cattle farm it's called "bulling" as the cows will do it when one is coming into season - the one coming in does it, and the others do it to her. :rolleyes:

H

h2304

Well they are spayed but shoudnt they have no sexual resonses? Also my male Dachshund tries to sniff the labs everyday to see if they are in season. Should I mate him to git rid of this behavor?

doggedouthouse

owned by our dogs
re

Lol i dont know if your dogs are gay ,but i have these probs to ,i have two dogs and one female ,my white dog will try to mount the female ,then he will move onto my other dog, but also now and again my red and white dog will try to mount my white dog after comeing home from a walk ..:confused:

But it dont stop there i have seen my female mount my dogs and do the mateing actions of a male dog:confused:

People have said that dogs dont have sex for pleasure,but i beg to differ because if i left my white dog to it he would be at it all day and i just consider him a total sex pest (but at least he dont try to mount any humans leg that walks into our house) none of them try to mount other dogs that they meet when in parks etc.....

I would love to here if there is a cure for my dogs over powering sex habbits ive asked a few vets and they have not yet given me answer they look at me like im a bit mad lol.......

Ive just had to edit my post for spelling and when doing so where i had wrote the word (b/ i /t /c/ h) which is know in the dog world as a female dog , it was all stared out like this ***** is the word (b /i /t /c /h) now a swear word , i find this strange because after all this forum is about dogs :confused:

Last edited:
Nonononono! You don't mate a dog to get rid of that behaviour - you neuter a dog :) Mating him would only make it infinitely worse, and we won't even get into all the issues of being responsible about breeding.

Chances are your Dachsie is just sniffing because that's what dogs do. The mounting your females are doing has nothing at all to do with sexual responses - that's more of a jockeying for position behaviour than anything else, especially between two spayed females.

Athe

Well said Renee ;)
My females will mount and hump if they feel one of the other dogs is "getting out of line". Of course, when my intact female starts coming into season, both my females mount her at the first signs of coming into season.

doggedouthouse

owned by our dogs
re

Renee750il said:
Nonononono! You don't mate a dog to get rid of that behaviour - you neuter a dog :) Mating him would only make it infinitely worse,
but all my dogs are neutered ,any ideas anyone ?

dani12

Our puppies were neutered at about 9 weeks, they are 12 weeks now and Jedi is constantly trying to mount Daisy. He actually tried to mount my 4 yr. old son. My son was on all fours and said "Mom, look I'm giving Jedi a piggy back ride" and I almost fell over when I looked up and saw what was going on. It was too funny for the kids but I did explain to them that we can't give anymore "piggy back" rides b/c then Jedi will think that he's the boss...

When they're jockeying for position like that you discourage the humping behaviour and you underscore the top dog's position by doing things like feeding that dog first, petting that dog first, giving that dog the last bite of food from you plate (you can give them all a last bite - I do - just make sure they get their treat in the right order). That way you - who are the ultimate authority in the home - are essentially settling the issue.

H

h2304

I heard that if you flip the alfa dog on its back and grab it by the paws. It will lose all respect with its pack, therfore stopping this bossy behavor.

showpug

h2304 said:
I heard that if you flip the alfa dog on its back and grab it by the paws. It will lose all respect with its pack, therfore stopping this bossy behavor.
Well, I think you may have heard wrong :confused:

h2304 said:
That's a good way to cause all sorts of problems . . . much worse than dealing with humping!

showpug

Humping IMO is really not a big deal unless it is causing a fight or one dog is starting to become very annoyed by the one humping. A lot of dogs hump for dominance, play or attention. There are worse things to put up with, and NO IT'S NOT SEXUAL...LOL! ;)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
First: Humping is a dominance issue. Not a sexual issue.
Second: Flipping a dog that's trying to establish alpha status will either get you bit or start a dominance war between you and the dog. Neither are something you want to deal with.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
My moms dog is fixed and she humps all sorts of things. For example, I used to have this gigantic stuffed cow that sat up on top of my bed. She hated this thing. she would bark at it everytime she went by it lol. My mom took it off the bed and put it on the floor for her to sniff and right away she started humping it lol. It was like the playing field was finally levelled and she wasn't going to let this thing torture her anymore lol so she was going to show it that she was the boss by humping it. They do it to show dominanace over something or someone else lol. Teddy did it when he first met cosmo (another male) Teddy was fixed at the time. He wasn't doing it for sexual reasons. He was doing it because he was trying to be the boss lol

Members online