7 week old cocker spaniel pekingese playing too rough!

My 7 week old Cockingese is playing VERY rough we will be playing and then all of the sudden she will start growling very mean sounding but you can tell she is still just playing because her tail is still wagging but then she will bite VERY hard, (still wagging her tail) she even brings blood! I dont know what to do? :confused: She is SOOOO sweet she just has these moments.....?

Doberluv

Puppies can get rough when they play....really get into it and even get halfway between play and the real thing. The play is often practice for the "hunt, kill." So, when you've had enough, get up and walk away. End all playtime. Ignore puppy completely for a moment or two. Puppy will learn how much you'll take. When the fun ends, the payoff ends. I personally NEVER play too wildly or roughly with any dog. I like a dog who turns out to be a rather calm adult. And if you engage in too much wild stuff, they don't learn to settle down very well.

Well we will not even be playing rough or anything I will have her ball and throw it for her and sometimes she will come back and start wanting 2 play rough i will ignore it and try giving her a toy but then she just starts sounding meaner and bites harder!I know she is playing with me but I agree with you and dont want 2 play rough because I want her to be calm as an adult!

bubbatd

How old was she when you got her ?? This is the age she should be with her litter mates and Mom to learn her limits. Have you done the submissive tests with her ?

Fran27

At this age she should still be with her mom. That's where pups learn not to play too rough. So you're going to have to take over the training. Make sure you totally stop playing everytime she does it, and ignore her for 5 minutes.

Doberluv

i will ignore it and try giving her a toy but then she just starts sounding meaner and bites harder!I know she is playing with me

Why is she still playing with you? If she's playing with you when she is sounding meaner and biting harder, then you're allowing her a payoff for this behavior. The instant she bites too hard or does whatever it is you don't like, remove at once the reward of being in her company or paying any attention to her. If you have to physically remove her from your area by calmly and non-punishingly putting her in her crate, then do that.

Premier

When my puppy bites too hard, i say Ouch kinda loud and walk away for a while. I come back and if he still bites hard, say ouch and walk away. After a while he stopped biting hard but sometimes it happens and when it does I say ouch and he immediately stops and whines. Hope that helps ya =)

poeluvr

premier sorry to intrude, i know thats a mix a pom im guessing but what else a poodle?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
the pup should still be with it's mother at this age but I'm sure most of us have gotten a dog at one time or another that should have still been with it's mom. He's very cute. I would just keep doing with what you are doing, getting up and walking away when he bites. Maybe try yelping that way he will know you are hurt. Also maybe bitter apple spray might help.

Members online