Breeds you would have never considered owning until you met one

Equinox

Malinois :p I underestimated how much I'd want a very "on" kind of dog, and how sweet a lot of them can be (in addition to everything else that's going on in their minds LOL)

Toy dogs (particularly Pugs, Chihuahuas, Dachshunds, Pekes). I'll still probably never own any of the dogs I listed, but I like them a lot and immediately judge people who hate on them. Back when I frequented the humane society and dog park, it was those breeds that always sought me out and sat on my lap for hours, and apparently that's pretty much all it takes for me to love a dog.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Goldendoodles *hides*

I know, I know--I met a fantastic one (10 months old too) at our county fair this year. The daughter in the family did 4-H with her and she was well mannered, had a nice temperament, and was not hyper. I still don't know that I get one outside of a rehome, but if I had the space I would have taken that dog home in a hot second if she'd been offered to me.

Elrohwen

The only two I can think of that I've met in person: catahoula and standard poodle. I had heard of them but knew nothing about them until I started training with a woman who has two. They are such cool dogs! A little serious for what I would want to own, but they are such great working dogs and so underrated (at least up north where most people don't know what they are). I'm just in awe of her dogs.

For standard poodles, I've met a number though training classes and I love their temperament and personality. They seem calm when they need to be and ready to go when their owner is ready to go. Just great companions and training partners. Except for the grooming they also seem very easy to live with. Before meeting some I really had no idea what they were like because they have the frou-four show dog image.

There are many more that I've "met" through the internet that I never considered but now would considering owning. Top of that list are koolies and English shepherds. I didn't know anything about them, but now I'm in love with both breeds.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Shih Tzu - I use to hate them. I didn't like how they looked. Back then, I judged so many dogs based on there appearance, and if I didn't like the dog appearance-wise? I wouldn't choose the breed, even if the temperament suited me. It's embarrassing to think that I'd use to get a breed just based on his/hers appearance.

But... Then I met one, and I feel in love. She was the hugest sweetheart, she was tolerant of Children,& other dogs, she was calm, wasn't a huge barker, & she had a huge personality for her size.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Cavaliers. The health issues were a turnoff and I was just like why?

then I met a few and they are so sweet I was like YESSS NEED ONE NEED FIVE

JRTs and Malinois.

I thought Giant Schnauzers were it for me...until I started playing flyball. I now have 2 JRTs and have a serious want for a Mal.

Golden retrievers.

I'm honestly just not a fan of their looks but every one that I've met has been so sweet and hilarious that I actually wouldn't mind having one in the future.

Dekka

Just try me..
Whippets surprised me. I didn't think I would like them so much. Another one are frenchies. Not sure if I would ever have one but after meeting a few they appeal to me.

Members online