Addison's Disease

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm going to google now, but if anyone can offer some personal experiences I'd really appreciate it. :)

chanda

i dont know anything about this also... gonna come back later to research something about this...

Giny

Boomer doesn't have Addison but the other extreme of the hormonal disorder which is Cushings. So his body doesn't under produce Cortisol, which is what happens with Addison's, but it over produces it. I had to watch out when loading on his meds so he didn't end up with Addison's.

Hannah has addison's. Here's some info:

Addison's disease is also known as hypoadrenocorticism. It is an insufficient production of adrenal hormones by the adrenal gland. Since these hormones are essential for life, this is an extremely serious disease and it must be treated as such.

Adrenal insufficiency can be primary or secondary. Primary adrenocorticism affects salt/potassium balance in the body and glucorticoid as well. Secondary adrenocorticism usually only affects the glucocorticoids. It is not known why primary adrenocorticism occurs but it may be an immune mediated process. Secondary adrenocorticism probably occurs most often when prednisone or other cortisone being administered for medical reasons are suddenly withdrawn. It can occur as a result of pituitary cancer or some other process that interferes with production of hormones that stimulate the adrenal glands.

Most dogs with Addison's disease initially have gastrointestinal disturbances like vomiting. Lethargy it also a common early sign. Poor appetite can occur as well. These are pretty vague signs and it is extremely easy to miss this disease. More severe signs occur when a dog with hypoadrenocorticism is stressed or when potassium levels get high enough to interfere with heart function. Dogs with this problem will sometimes suffer severe shock symptoms when stressed, which can lead to a rapid death. When potassium levels get high heart arrythmias occur or even heart stoppage which also is fatal. In some cases, especially secondary Addison's disease, there are no detectable electrolyte changes.

This disease can be picked up by changes in the ratio between sodium or potassium by accident at times. When this happens it is still extremely important to treat for it. It is confirmed by an ACTH response test -- administration of this hormone should stimulate production of adrenal hormones. If this does not occur then hypoadrenocorticism is present. In cases in which the electrolyte levels are normal this is the only test for the problem and it will be missed unless it is looked for specifically. At times this disease can be hard to differentiate from renal failure because the symptoms and even the bloodwork can be similar ---- so the ACTH response test may be necessary to differentiate them.

Treatment for this disease is usually done by oral administration of fludrocortisone acetate (Flurinaf), salting the food, and administration of corticosteroids like prednisone. In a crisis situation this disorder must be treated more aggressively with intravenous fluids, IV glucocorticoids and correction of acid/base balances.

You have to pay close attention to a dog with this problem. Don't ignore any changes in appetite, GI disturbances or anything else that makes you think your dog is ill. If you work with your vet and are careful about following his or her directions this disease has a good prognosis when it is discovered before a crisis occurs.
Stress is very dangerous for Addison's dogs which is why for Hannah's anxiety, we had to manage it with medications quickly, not just work on the behavioral aspect of it. (Which is also why I flew off the handle when someone made a joke about dog anxiety/depression months ago. :p )

Hannah's first symptoms were the constant digestive disturbances and overall poor condition.

She's managed pretty well on her medications. We just have to be VERY careful to keep her monitered regularly, keep her stress to a minimum, and make sure she stays hydrated.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
She's managed pretty well on her medications. We just have to be VERY careful to keep her monitered regularly, keep her stress to a minimum, and make sure she stays hydrated.
How much 'stress' are we talking here? How do you gage the stress that she may or may not experience in any given opportunity/event, etc?

And yes, I mean dog's or else this would be in the FH. :)

How much 'stress' are we talking here? How do you gage the stress that she may or may not experience in any given opportunity/event, etc?
Anything that freaks her out. Children freak her out so we avoid them. Boarding would obviously be a no no. She's actually okay about going to the vets office (since she's been there so much I guess) so that's fine. She absolutely positively cannot handle being left home alone without Corvus or another human, so one or the other is ALWAYS there.

I just go by knowing what sets her off, and we avoid it.

It's hard to say "how much stress" because different dogs handle things differently, ya know? I just happen to have an uber freak.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I don't have any instant messengers anymore. They kept making my computer crash. :(

You can PM or email me if ya need to.
Poopy! Those darn PC's! :p lol

Well, I don't know exactly what to ask. There is a four year old dog that needs a home, or at the very least, a foster home, that has been on meds for Addison's for a year. Being the sucker I am, of course I emailed asking about his needs, but I feel the woman is being too jovial to entice me to take him. Although she did give me the number to her vet to speak to him. I also wonder if our house is too crazy or hectic for a dog that is compromised by stress. We're not a quiet family.

Is this a maybe-answer for Buddy?
Thankfully, no. At least, it's never come up before in all of his tests. :)

We're not a quiet family by any means, but we never have been, so Hannah's used to that and it doesn't stress her.

Take into account to that Hannah had stress and anxiety issues long before being diagnosed with Addison's...she's atypically high strung when unmedicated.

I would guess the average dog would be able to cope with things alot better than she is...therefore what sends Hannah into a turmoil likely wouldn't phase most other dogs.

Like I said, she's an uber freak. The stress/anxiety that she has is not related to the Addison's at all. It just so happens she has had major problems with anxiety in the past and with her being an Addison's dog, this has to be carefully monitored and avoided.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Hmm. Ok. Thanks for taking the time. :) I still don't know what to do, but I think I will contact the vet and see what he says. :)

Members online