Underground fence

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
I was talking with the owner of another farm supply store here in town about fencing my yard. He highly recommends the underground fences. He thinks they are perfect for my situation.

Ruckus IS a fence jumper if i leave him outside. But the thing is... i dont leave him outside because i know he will jump, and thats no problem. He said that it would be safer because the dog cannot get into the road, and if he jumps the fence with me out there, it will more than likely be too late.
I live with a busy highway right in front of my house. behind the house there are farms, and hay fields. its really nice, but if Ruckus jumped the fence and got into the highway i know he would be a goner. He loves to chase cars too much to know to stay away from them if he got into the road.

So, what would keep Ruckus from running through the underground fence? This dog is determined to chase Harley's. He will run to the end of his 50 foot tie out at full speed to try to get them. i dont know how he hasnt broken his neck.

wishbone

That's really tough to decide but if you have budget, there's some really recommendable wireless fence that could keep your dog away from the highway. Better be safe from sorry. Hope others could help here for I don't have any experience using them.

Maxy24

So, what would keep Ruckus from running through the underground fence? This dog is determined to chase Harley's. He will run to the end of his 50 foot tie out at full speed to try to get them. i dont know how he hasnt broken his neck.
Probably nothing would stop him from running through. I wouldn't risk it myself.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I would not waste my money on any underground fence, and I speak from experience of owning one of the top of the line ones.

If you have conventional fencing and the dog is a jumper, you can use coyote rollers http://www.coyoteroller.com/pictures along the top, or electric fencing works for many dogs.

chanda

underground fences can be a big help specially if you know how to properly use it... but before using such devices remember that you need to understand how to properly use it.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Chanda, my experience with the underground fencing had nothing to do with not knowing how to use it.

I am an experienced dog trainer. My dog was well trained. My opinion is these fences are for SUPERVISED OUTDOOR ACTIVITY, or should be used with other visual barriers with most breeds.

Underground fencing does not prevent other dogs or people on your property. It does not prevent someone stealing your dog. If there is electrical failure, it is useless.

My dog, altho carefully trained to the fencing, was a stoic individual who would run through the boundary if he wanted to.

Maybe you could tell us what you mean by "properly using it".

Dekka

Just try me..
An invisible fence works ok as long as it is in conjunction with a physical fence. The coyote rollers are very good but very expensive.

Members online