The time has come for me to say goodbye to Gretta

nancy2394

For those of you who read an earlier thread... I have an 11 year old Rottie named Gretta. She's had breast cancer for about 2 years now. We had surgery last August to remove it. They thought they got it all, but to our sadness it grew back with a vengence and spread. Her latest tumor is on the inside of the back right leg. She's been hobbling around on 3 legs for a few weeks now but did not seem in pain. But I've noticed over the past few weeks she has not been eating much.

We've been giving her table food because she will eat that. But this morning... it was just so evident she's lost a lot of weight. She doesn't look happy and although she's not crying in pain... I know she's trying to tell me it's time. I took her out this morning to go potty and it took my daughter and I to get her back up 4 steps. She's been lying on a bed we made in the living room all day. I noticed she threw up..... I kind of knew she would because she was drooling buckets this morning. I tried to get her to eat some tums to help but she won't eat a thing now. But she did drink a bit.

Today has been such a long day. I know that first thing tomorrow morning we will have to take her to be put to sleep and I just hope and pray I don't have second thoughts and chicken out. It's time... I have to keep telling myself. The tears are just rolling down my face as I type this. It breaks my heart to look at her knowing I am planning on ending her life tomorrow.

I have to work night shift tonight and I am gonna be a basket case bawling my eyes out all night just thinking about it. I just hope my co workers don't come up with any lines of "it's only a dog" cuz I think I might deck them one right there. I don't think they will.... they're all very nice people. But I did have someone comment one time about someone calling in sick for work because their dog died and how they felt it was a ridiculous reason to call in because it was only a dog.

Well, I guess I should go now. I gotta start getting ready for work now. I am asking for prayers and thoughts. This is going to be really really tough for me... as I'm sure it would be really tough for any of you as well. I guess it just seems like the end of the world since I've already lost 3 dogs back to back. I am still grieving my last one I lost.

luvmydogs

oh nancy, i am so sorry. i keep you and your family in my prayers and thoughts......i know to well how it feels

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a dog to cancer that you have fought so hard to make better. I'm so sorry, but you are doing the best thing for her. She will thank you for it and will be in no more pain.

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
I know how you feel. When I was 10, we had to put down Rover, my boxer mix. But, she is crossing the Rainbow Bridge and she will thank you for no longer suffering.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
I'll be thinking about you and your Rottie. I'll be praying and Dallas and myself send hugs and kisses your way ((((hugs and kisses ))))

Doberluv

I'm so sorry Nancy. I too, as many know just how your'e feeling. It wasn't long ago that I had to make that same, agonizing decision with my old Lab. It's so hard. But you know better than anyone how your dog feels and how she use to be. I know one thing. After I put Bonnie down, the one thing that made me feel a little better was knowing that she didn't suffer for too long, as I caught before she got too bad and the other thing....my memories of her are more centered on when she felt good, played, swam and not so much on the times where she didn't feel well, as that wasn't for too long of a time. If we let them drag on, being unhappy, the quality of their lives not good, then that is what sticks in our minds more.

You know your dog and what you decide will be the right thing. My heart goes out to you at this incredibly difficult time.

If anyone says anything insensative at work, there's not much you can say to make them understand. Just stay in your own, little, quiet space for comfort and after a time, the sharpness of this pain will ease up a little bit.

My thoughts are with you.

Bexi

O gosh, how sad :( It is never "just a dog" as all dog lovers know, some people just never get it i guess, their loss...Sorry to hear about ur gorgeous dog xx

bogolove

Oh Nancy, I am so very very sorry. This has to be so hard on you. I hate so much that she is having to go through this. My heart breaks for you and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. PM me if you need to talk about it.

I am so sorry! You will be in my thoughts and I know when Gretta reaches the "bridge" she will be welcomed by all those who got there before her and they will have a grand old time, romping & playing, without any aches or pains.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
i am terribly sorry ..i despise cancer and how it takes the ones we love away from us.

bubbatd

I've been in your shoes too many times....it's never easy . I have " A Dog's Plea " framed .....the last few lines are...." And, my friend. when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy good health , hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun, Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands." God bless you and Gretta ... Bubba will meet her to cross the bridge.

Last edited:
Nancy I am so sorry. I had to put my 10 year old lab Jessie to sleep 4 years ago from bone cancer that was to far gone. I took her in thinking it was arthritis. You are doing the right thing for Gretta. Dogs are amazing creatures that fill our lives with this amazing love and never really ask for much in return. I can imagine how hard this is for you, but from what you've said it sounds like it is time. We are all here to support you and give you a shoulder to lean on. Your family is in my prayers- Jenn

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Oh Nancy, I'm sorry! I remember that other post you had telling about your other dogs and when you found out about Gretta...it's tough...I lost my mutt Meisha to cancer two years ago. Keep the happy memories and know that you gave her a wonderful loving home to the end of her days.

Nancy...thinking of you and Gretta and feeling your sadness. You loved her long and well and what you are doing now for her, is also out of love. Please remember that.

Jessie

nancy2394

Well, I didn't cry at work and it just so happened that the girl I worked with last night was a kind and gently hearted person who loves animals just as I do. I talked a little about Gretta until I felt that stinging I get in my eyes before I cry and then had to change the subject and look up at the ceiling so my eyes wouldn't fill up with tears.

I dreaded coming home today so bad in fear of what condition Gretta would be in when I got here. To my surprise she almost seems chipper this morning. She has a little flicker of life in her eyes. And now it is hubby that is not ready to let her go. He talked me into giving her one more chance to see if she has any quality of life left in her.

So, since she won't eat dry dog food anymore he's gone off to the store to get a big bag of rice and some canned dog food to mix in with it. He wants to try feeding her a few small meals a day and get her feeling better cuz she's been so weak with not eating at all. She still does not seem in pain with that leg and I know her tumors in her belly don't cause her any pain at this point.

I know we are prolonging the innevidable... but I've prayed about this and asked for a sign on what to do as well as the strength and courage to do it. And I'm hoping God is giving me just a little more time with her. I am really gonna work hard to come to terms with her soon to be fate and just accept it. That way when there's no doubt that it's her day I will not hesitate. I think my hubby just needs to have closure himself before he can go through with it.

I told him as long as she's not crying in pain that maybe we could wait a few more days or however long we have with her. I am not putting blinders on.. I know the end is still very near for her... maybe tomorrow or the day after.. but it's not today.. at least not at this moment.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
Nancy I am sorry to hear about your baby. I to have been in that same position and it is hard, I prolonged it a yr, but sadly to day had to lay to rest my baby this past March. I know I made the right decision for him since he would no longer be in pain. Your heart will tell you when it is time.

bubbatd

My Bushwacker grew old and sick , but I couldn't face it either. He and the other 2 goldens would go with me to feed the horses in the mornings. ( a 5 minute drive ). My time zone was when he didn't want to go. One morning he just lay and gave 2 wags of his beautiful tail . I knew the time had come. I pain for you... (((( Hugs ))))

Members online

No members online now.