Dallas training update!

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
I know I've posted a Dallas Update in the Fire Hydrant, but this is about his training.
Dallas is doing GREAt w/ his training. I went to Books A Million tonight and got the Gun Dog book...bubbatd I tried to find that book you wanted to send me but I couldn't so I might order it off amazon.com..but anyways I want to get Dallas into Duck Hunting. I'm so excited. I'm still teaching the basic commands and he is doing great om that. He knows "sit" REALLY well and is doing so much better on the "come" and "stay" commands. I am going to wait on "down" right now and just get those 3 commands going good. But I'm going to PetsMart tomorrow..hopeully..and I'm going to get a canvas dummy and maybe a whisle and a clicker trainer. But Dallas is doing so good and I'm very proud of him. I mean he's only 8 weeks old and he knows "sit", and knows "stay" and "come" pretty well.
Did you know that Goldens are one of the 10 smartess dogs? I saw it in about 2 books and they both said that. I'm not trying to be rude adn say my dog is smarter than all of yalls dogs, b/c some of you have really really smart dogs.
I just wanted to share Dallas's update in training. Oh and Richie I am going to make a new thread for you about Vizsla (sp?) tomorrow. But now Dallas and myself are off to bed, GOOD NIGHT EVERYONE :D

Fran27

Goldens are not much smarter than most dogs. It depends a lot on the individual too. Boris is smart enough, but is a genius when it comes to being a brat :D

Yay Dallas!! Not only is he cute, he's a smarty pants! LOL. www.amazon.com is a great place to get books - that's where I've been getting all mind now, I order used "very good".

I believe the breed intelligence list goes 1.) Border Collie 2.) Poodle 3.) German Shepherd 4.) Golden Retriever. I think it depends on each individual dog, too, though.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Thanks you guys!!
I'm going to amazon.com right now to look at books.
Wow goldens are veyr smart then. Ok question..a poodle is #2? I didn't know they where so smart!!!! Nothing against poodle owners/lovers.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
Aww he's a lil puppy einstein:D
Lol, I also think that it depends on the individual dog on how smart they are. Beagles aren't even on the top 10 smartest and look at Belly!

Melissa_W

Yeah, I think border collies are #1 and poodles are #2... If fact, here are the 10 smartest breeds:

1 Border Collie
2 Poodle
3 German Shepherd
4 Golden Retriever
5 Doberman Pinscher
6 Shetland Sheepdog
7 Labrador Retriever
8 Papillon
9 Rottweiler
10 Australian Cattle Dog

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
awww Goldens come in at #4..and I believe it too. Yes BLG Belly is very smart, from what you've told us, and I personally think that beagles should be somewhere in the Top 10 b/c they are used for sniffing in airports,etc. So yea thats my opinion.
Where are the Australian Shepherds? I think they tie up w/ the Cattle Dogs, or they are higher, b/c I had a Aussie and she was really smart and most of them are really smart!

Melissa_W

Dakotah_2009 said:
awww Goldens come in at #4..and I believe it too. Yes BLG Belly is very smart, from what you've told us, and I personally think that beagles should be somewhere in the Top 10 b/c they are used for sniffing in airports,etc. So yea thats my opinion.
Where are the Australian Shepherds? I think they tie up w/ the Cattle Dogs, or they are higher, b/c I had a Aussie and she was really smart and most of them are really smart!
Yeah, I would think they would be up there somewhere really close to the top 10... The ranking is based on response to commands, and some dogs are kinda stubborn, so that probably effects their ranking. The top 10 dogs respond to the first command 95% of the time, and learn a new command after 5 repetitions or less.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
wow!!!!
Yes Dallas knew "sit" like right when he heard it. he is doing good on "come" and "stay"..and we started on "down" this morning and he did good at it when I 1st told him the command.

keyodie

Keyozilla
aww...yay!!! Go Dallas! I have problems with Charlie though. He'll respond to hand motions, but he won't respond to my voice.

Julie

I am back again.
Dakotah,
I am glad to see someone interested in waterfowl hunting.
It is fun and my dogs absolutely love it. Shiloh and Charlie are both
goose/duck/dove retrievers and are very good at it.
Although we don't do the field trials etc. (we have no interest in the fake hunting scene) we like the real thing that will put food on the table.
They are great, and have alot of drive to bring the bird to hand.

One thing that pops into my mind, never play tug of war with a bird dog. Always use a command to have them release the toy. Just don't tug with the dog.
If you start tug of war playing, then later it could mean problems with releasing the bird.

An easy way to teach the release command is to push the toy, bumper or bird toward the back of the dogs throat and give your command, this kinda induces a gag reflex and the dog will release. But if you keep pulling and tugging the dog thinks it is a game and will not want to give the toy up.

Shiloh delivered to hand at 12 weeks.
And Charlie missed early training because we got him at 3 months old and was very unsocialized he was basically a rescue. But you would never know that now. He is a very fast learner. And he is 2 years old and goes hunting everyday during the seasons.

I wish you the best of Luck,
Julie.

Dog intelligence

That rank-list for intelligence is based upon breeds that respond to commands easily and quickly;

The top few breeds follow commands faithfully more than 90% of the time with fewer than 2 repetitions. That's how that specific intelligence ranking was made (the one where the Border collie and poodle are the top).

I don't know if that's what makes a dog intelligent, though. The Boston Terrier is ranked down in the 50's but I'm constantly told that it displays an eerie ability to sense hidden emotions in the owner and responds to them in a much more impressive fashion than other dogs. Same for pitbulls.

The other thing is, what if the dog just chooses to ignore your commands just to irritate you? One of my friends had a Doberman that would randomize his barking pattern just to drive everyone nuts

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Thanks Julie
I need to work w/ Dallas on the release thing NOW! LOL
Oh Dallas is teething like crazy and he is biting me so much. He also barks and does his big grrring noise...I want to stop him from barking so much and from biting is there anyway for both of them to stop ASAP??

Julie I am going to PM you about the hunting thing.

keyodie

Keyozilla
he bites you? :eek: is it a real bad hurtful bite? Cuz Charlie will do that sometimes, except its play-biting. He'll just put you arm in his mouth and lay his teeth on there, and then he'll immediately take it out.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Its just a play bite, he does the same thing as Charlie but he keeps it in his mouth w/ his tongue tickling you LOL

Members online