Would you Pick Your Dog All Over Again?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
A big resounding yes to both my dogs. Even with Mia's bad knees. she is hands down the best dog I've ever known. We are made for each other. She has taught me so much both about dogs and about life in general. She's my little hooligan and my best friend in the truest sense of the word. I would never have missed out on my soul dog for any dog, even if they had fantastic knees.

And Summer is such a dear dog. She is so nice and sweet. She was the perfect dog to start my adult life with. She's been the perfect introduction dog for dog sports. She's been my rock when I needed her most. Summer has seen me through the darkest times of my life and been a faithful companion for me always.

Brattina88

Romeo: This was a tough one, because for a while I was just sick with guilt over the whole thing. He was a spoiled happy dog from a great breeder that I got, and my life was shaken up and he went home to my parents and then got attacked and I felt like it was 100% my fault. That he would've been happier if I had never stumbled across him at all.
..but the whole ordeal, I look at it now and think, if not for me, I am happy that Romeo was around because of my cousin who has him.
Ever read "A Dog's Purpose"? That always pops into my mind when I think about Romeo :) And I know several cases similar to yours, some of my Mom's dogs, too. Sometimes they're in our lives as a transition to where they're meant to be <3

I can honestly say with 10000% certainty that I would. He's really the perfect dog for me. And I got very very lucky, considering I just chose him based upon a picture out of a classifieds ad. I could've ended up with a dog that did not fit me at all. But it just so happened that he does. He's done anything I've ever wanted him to or attempted to, and he's really just an all around great dog. I just consider myself lucky!
This is me and Maddie :D Minus the picture in the classified ads ;) She is perfectly perfect for me and while there are things I would've changed, like going to a dermatologist sooner and stuff like that, we've grown up together and I can't imagine my life without her :hail:

As for Bailey, she's the poster child of getting the dog you need vs. the dog you "want". With all of her quirks, she has been perfect for me. And an unexpected learning curve. And a weird sort of dependent relationship that goes both ways <3 :hail:

Saeleofu

Logan is EXACTLY what I was looking for in a dog. I would pick him again a million times over.

Gavroche isn't what I expected him to be, but he's what I needed. I do wish I could have got him as a puppy, because I think that would have prevented most of his behavior issues. I also would have tested/started him on thyroid meds sooner. I really think he was hypothyroid for AT LEAST a year before I tested him, based on pictures and the way he recovered. The hypothyroidism certainly didn't help his behavioral issues. He's on Prozac now for his tooth grinding, but it's also helped him in many other areas. I might consider medicating him sooner. But in the end, yes, I would still have chosen Gavroche. After all, he is my heart dog.

Gypsydals

I had to stop and think about it for a second with Ivan. Don't get me wrong I love him dearly and I would get him again IF I could use what I've learned with him. Now thats not to say I want another butthead dog like him. He is totally not a family dog at all and part of that is my fault and partly his. He is not the kind of dog to have out with friends over, he isn't really the dog to just hang out with other family members. He is just too busy of a dog for them.

I would....

I had issues with Cinnamon and still If I knew then what I do now... I'd say in a heartbeat! she was my perfect dog even with her issues :lol-sign:. She changed my life and that's something I will always treasure.

Luna, she's brought so much light into my life and so far has had no issues, I knew she was special the moment I saw her at the shelter. So yep. I'd pick her a million times over.

Michiyo-Fir

Hmmm...Nia turned out a lot less outgoing and dog reactive than I had thought when I got her.

But she's also the absolute sweetest and most sensitive little dog. The easiest dog ever, and she just tries to be so so good. So absolutely!! I would pick her again and again and again and again.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Yes X1000000 to all three, including Charlie. The zois are mine. Charlie wasn't picked by me and took some adjusting to get used to, but once he was in my heart he never left. Not even when he passed away. I still wish things happened differently that day, that he was still with us. He was so unexpected and brought so much fun and joy wherever he went.

noludoru

Bored Now.
yes...no...yes...no...yes....no....dammit, I can't decide!!
Are we the only ones here horrible enough to say no? :rofl1:

I love my dog. So much. He's awesome. But he's not what I want. And I'm committed to him for the next who knows how many years.

If someone else would have taken him and given him a great home, I would have passed.

If there was no one else to rescue him, and he looked forward to life on a chain, I would take him again a thousand times. He doesn't deserve that and he really is wonderful. It's not his fault that he's nearly everything I don't want in a dog except "friendly." :( I can find unconditional love with basically any dog, and there are probably hundreds I'd be happier with, but I couldn't leave him where he was. Ever. And no one else was jumping to take a tick-covered, high energy, high-shedding, drooly, ill-mannered mess of a dog.

Hillside

Original Twin

I love my dog. So much. He's awesome. But he's not what I want. And I'm committed to him for the next who knows how many years.

If someone else would have taken him and given him a great home, I would have passed.

If there was no one else to rescue him, and he looked forward to life on a chain, I would take him again a thousand times. He doesn't deserve that and he really is wonderful. It's not his fault that he's nearly everything I don't want in a dog except "friendly." :( I can find unconditional love with basically any dog, and there are probably hundreds I'd be happier with, but I couldn't leave him where he was. Ever. And no one else was jumping to take a tick-covered, high energy, high-shedding, drooly, ill-mannered mess of a dog.
I'm torn, Saga is my heart and soul, but, she isn't any of the things I wanted in a dog, other than the fact that she loves me so much and she is great with everyone. She's an amazing pet, but I never wanted a pet dog, I wanted a dog that I could do something with, and Soggy doesn't really like to do anything except watch Netflix and cuddle. That would be fine for most of the population, but I wanted a performance dog. In the shelter, she seemed to have the energy and the drive, but at home she was a totally different dog. So knowing now what I didnt know then, I'm unsure if she would have been my pick. On the other hand, we have been through SO much together and she has just weathered the storms with me... You would have to pry her out of my cold, dead hands.

Nico? He is everything I have ever wanted out of a dog, period, so there is no question on whether I would make the same choice again.

Taqroy

If I had known how things would turn out after I got Tipper...probably not. Not so much because of the bitch fights but because I don't feel like our house is fair to her. She is fun and playful and happy and goofy where Mu and Murphy are rarely if ever those things. And I know that Tipper is the kind of dog that could have been happy in so many other places with dogs that actually like her and sometimes I feel like I'm just being horribly selfish keeping her with us and insisting that her and Mu get along. But I'm not ever going to give her up.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Bamm- I love him to death, but I probably wouldn't choose to adopt him if I had it to do all over again. Don't get me wrong, he really is an amazing dog and he has taught me A LOT so I do think in a way he has changed my life a bit and I know there's got to be a reason why he ended up in my life, but.... and this is a BIG BUT; I don't know that I would want to take on another dog with his reactive issues again. He does NOT like kids and any future dog HAS to be kid friendly. He also has bitten people so I have to be super careful with him. I love him and he really is a great dog, but sometimes I feel like he can be a bit overwhelming for me so while I'm glad he ended up in my life, if I had it to do over again I'm not 100% sure I would make the same choice.

Cricket- yes, yes and yes.... I think anyone that has actually met this dog can understand why I'm so freaking in love with her. She's so in tune with me and she's everything I've ever wanted in a dog. She's my co-pilot and I honestly can't imagine life without her ever again. It's going to be absolutely heart wrenching when her time comes and I don't know how I'll be able to even handle it honestly. This dog has seriously set the bar high for any and all future dogs.

Joey- haha, well... yes I would choose him again provided I still had another dog that I could trick train, etc. He's a fun dog and a big goofball and is honestly a joy to have around (when he isn't whining his ass off in the crate). He is really difficult to train though, but I think part of that is maturity and possibly young boy ADD and he's already starting to come around very slowly. He's definitely entertaining and that's putting it lightly. I am really glad that I ended up with him though and of course I would make the decision again.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew

^This. I absolutely love Rider, and he has already taught me so much in the short time that I've had him. However, he is not at all what I asked for from the rescue. I wanted a go anywhere, do anything dog, and I didn't get that. I got a dog that I have to work at to take anywhere. Sometimes I do think he would be a better fit elsewhere, but in the end I think he is here to teach me something.

Harlow. Harlow has no drive and can be extremely independent, and has some new reactivity issues that we are working on, but I would not trade that dog for the world. I would choose her again a million times over. <3

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
^This. I absolutely love Rider, and he has already taught me so much in the short time that I've had him. However, he is not at all what I asked for from the rescue. I wanted a go anywhere, do anything dog, and I didn't get that. I got a dog that I have to work at to take anywhere. Sometimes I do think he would be a better fit elsewhere, but in the end I think he is here to teach me something.

Harlow. Harlow has no drive and can be extremely independent, and has some new reactivity issues that we are working on, but I would not trade that dog for the world. I would choose her again a million times over. <3
That bold is exactly why I don't want to take on reactive dogs, non dog friendly dogs, etc anymore. Bamm just does not tend to do well in public. I can take him hiking once in a while, but I have to be on guard and make sure that I pull off the trail in a timely manner to let people pass by while I hold onto my dog that is either cowering or barking or trying to lunge on his leash... big part of why I don't do a lot with him outside of home and take Joey and Cricket everywhere instead. Kind of makes Bamm the little black sheep in the family. :( I always feel bad when I leash the other two up and leave him at home.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I would absolutely take any/all of mine again. They are simply wonderful, individually and as a family.

I'd even borrow Cookie all over again, knowing now how much it will hurt when she leaves.

Granted, I'd also wrap her in bubble wrap til she couldn't even walk.

Last edited:

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
That bold is exactly why I don't want to take on reactive dogs, non dog friendly dogs, etc anymore. Bamm just does not tend to do well in public. I can take him hiking once in a while, but I have to be on guard and make sure that I pull off the trail in a timely manner to let people pass by while I hold onto my dog that is either cowering or barking or trying to lunge on his leash... big part of why I don't do a lot with him outside of home and take Joey and Cricket everywhere instead. Kind of makes Bamm the little black sheep in the family. :( I always feel bad when I leash the other two up and leave him at home.
I'm doing my best with him, but frankly, I don't see him EVER being a dog who can just relax somewhere other than home. We take him to a friends, and he is either on a leash or in a crate. We take him somewhere for socialization, and it takes us a half hour to get into the store, if at all, to stay under his threshold. People don't even try to pet him because he is panting, pacing, and pulling on the leash as I'm trying to stuff chicken down his face.

I feel like when I get my well bred dog next year, that he's just basically going to be a homebody, with the exception of nosework. It's not like he enjoys doing any of this stuff. I'm working really hard to make it comfortable, but I just feel like it is a lost cause. I don't think I would willingly take on another fearful/reactive dog for a long, long time.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
YES- in a heartbeat! I've gotten SO lucky- all of my dogs are able to coexist as well, which makes it easy when I have a decent sized pack.

Rylie: She's such a special girl. She's so sweet and loving, and always makes me laugh. She'll squeak toys until the squeakers break, burrows into anything, always tries to steal beer (the stronger, the better lol), and climbs inside my shirts to snuggle (I call her the Rylie Tumor when she does this).

Chloe: I've never met a dog as loving as Chloe. She's the nicest, sweetest dog I've ever met. I brought her home at the perfect time- I was really missing my foster Chihuahua puppy, and Chloe reminded me SO much of her. It really filled that void.

Tucker: He's such a little ham! His toy obsession constantly makes me laugh, and he's just such a funny little guy. He's definitely a momma's boy and always listens/follows me everywhere. He's also the fun police, and has a special bark for when Rory's getting into trouble, which is often :p

Rory: I may have answered this question differently a few years ago... haha... but he's maturing into such a good boy! I LOVE that he has a love for frisbees- he's so fun to play with!

Emma: My little co-pilot. I'm not quite sure what I'd do without her. She makes me laugh daily, she's always by my side, and she sleeps on my pillow every night. We almost lost her a couple of years ago, and I think of it almost every day :(

milos_mommy

Yup, even though I love Milo so much, and a lot of good has come of it, which I wouldn't change for any other dog...

I would never, ever, ever knowingly take a dog that has any issues like his again. A DR or DA or fear aggressive dog is one thing. Living with a dog you can't take anywhere there might be people and having to closely manage the dog so it doesn't hurt anyone in the household....that's a completely different thing.

I also highly doubt anyone could tell me what he'd be like and still convince me to take him. No one's words could explain the happiness he's brought me and make it sound worth it over all the aggression, anxiety, OCD.

Sekah

The Monster.
We got Cohen as a family pet. When the litter was born my eye was on a really cute white headed mismark girl who was pretty middle of the road as far as temperament goes. My father & sister liked Cohen as far as looks went, but she was one of the most adventurous, energetic pups of the litter. So, well, we chose Cohen.

She was a handful as a puppy, she never really bonded with my sister, and I think my father missed the energy level of my past dog (who was a senior and also unusually calm for an Aussie) but he did a good job keeping up with her. Though most of her care fell to me. That was fine, Cohen was awesome. But periodically I would wonder what things would have been like if we'd gone with the white headed mismark. Maybe she'd have bonded more with my sister and been a better fit for my father...

Then my father was diagnosed with cancer and died shortly thereafter. My sister and I sold our family home and moved in with other people. I got married. Cohen came with me through all of this. She's been absolutely fabulous for me, and is a perfect fit. I still sometimes wonder about that other dog, and what things might have been like with a calmer, less driven pup, but I would definitely pick Cohen again.

[Dog #2 came with my husband, and I would pick him again, so I'm kind of stuck with her... :p]

Members online