Loose Front Tooth?

Michiyo-Fir

Do you guys have any advice for a loose front tooth?

Nia has pretty good teeth until she started living part time with my mother this year. My mom feeds her a lot of people food like steak, salmon, ground beef, etc, but doesn't brush her teeth and now Nia has some tartar build up.

My goal was to stop her from feeding and really get on brushing everyday with possibly the Petzlife gel to get rid of tartar on her back teeth.

The problem is, while i was brushing her teeth yesterday, I noticed one of her bottom front teeth is quite loose. I wiggled it a bit and it doesn't seem to bother her... Does that mean I need to take her into the dentist and have it extracted?

Or should I leave it and see if it either falls out goes back to normal with regular brushing?

The price quote for dental care was $100 for a mandatory pre-surgical overall dental exam. Then starting price is $500 for anesthesia/cleaning (this comes as a package and cannot be separated) and extra for each extraction based on time. Is it necessary to do this at this time?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yes I would do a dental. Summer had one mildly loose tooth last year and ended up needing it and many other teeth removed.

Papillon teeth get bad very fast. If you leave it it could get really really bad by next year.

Michiyo-Fir

Gah! Ok :( I'm going to book a dental exam and see what the vet thinks :(

I'm so sad since her teeth were all great until the end of last year!! I hate having her put under, but I guess there's no helping it.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Yeah I would say if there's a loose tooth, there's usually more dental disease that needs to be addressed.

Grab

Same here. If it's loose there's generally other dental disease. Mobile teeth can also allow bacteria to take root

JacksonsMom

Agree^

I hate putting them under too but anesthesia is really VERY safe. Studies suggest that for normal, healthy dogs and cats, the risk of death is approximately one in 2,000. For pets with a preexisting disease, that number increases to about one in 500. So the risk of dying, all pets combined, is a fraction of 1 percent.

There is risks associated with everything that we do with our pets. But, to me, a dental is worth it if needed. The risk of dying from a disease that started because of their teeth is much higher..

Michiyo-Fir

Nia's booked in for an oral exam for this Thursday :( I'm so sad over this. I've kept up with her teeth so diligently for the last 4 years, and less than a year of being busy and having her stay with my mom, this happens. I'm really kicking myself over this.

With me looking at it, it looks like at least a few front teeth are needing to be extracted (wobbly, loose), I hope the rest are alright and it's not too late to clean them up.

She's only 5.5 years old...

Members online

No members online now.