Rocky's Coming Back!

RD

Are you dead yet?
Great news, Bigdog! I'm happy for you. :D GOOD LUCK with working with his breeder!!

Holy Crappola! How things can change! BigDog... just be careful about having too high expectations on Rocky becoming a perfect dog in 1-2 weeks. Don't know what the breeder's techniques are going to be. Is the breeder working with you on what to do/expect when Rocky comes back too? Obviously there is some pattern of treatment (two way street) that needs curbed or redirected for both of you. Believe me, I'm not being mean in anyway with this post! I was just wondering...

RD

Are you dead yet?
I agree with EliNHunter, don't expect his problems to be gone after just a bit of training. I have been working with Ripley for over a year and his aggression problems are -still- there, although slightly more manageable now..

You're going to have troubles with him, he's going through that loathsome adolescent stage where he just really wants to do everything his own way.. I've heard that it's quite extreme in GSDs, with males in particular. Don't get too discouraged, just continue be consistent and fair in your training. Again, good luck.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
I know. But the breeders training can only help, right? :)

I actually pretty much know what I'm supposed to do-- being consistent at it has been my problem. But I love my boy enough to where I will force myself to be consistent.

I don't think it was- agression problems, per se- because I would mess with his knows and when he had enough he would let me know, just like anybody on Earth would.

And food-aggression- I can deal with that. Resource guarding- I can deal with that.

But my problem was consistency, when things didn't get better right away, I thought he needed a more experienced handler.

But I miss him too much and I love him too much-- which is why I'm going to do this for him, myself. His problems are my problems.

BTW, the breeder called and said we could pick him up tomorrow... so he's comin' back tomorrow! :)

I'm a little suspicious because- only 4 days?

But it wasn't just the aggression issues he was working on, behavior too, with nipping and leash training. So, I'm so happy! :) Tomorrow's the day!

Wow, BigDog... tomorrow already! That's quick! And a bit scary! You may have the exact same dog coming back to you. Be prepared for that. And be prepared to work very hard on your consistency. Rocky will probably be VERY excited to be back with you and slip right into his old environment. Just be prepared for that. And be prepared to work with him to improve upon what the issues were before. I know you love him so much, as he does you. I'm sure everything will work out for the best. I wish you so much luck! Happy homecoming, Rocky!!!

gapeach

Big Mutts
That's great news, I have only the best wishes for you and Rocky. However that does seem awful fast for the breeder to have worked with him on issues. I wonder is he close enough to you to maybe take him once in awhile for lessons, or maybe you could call him when you're having a particular hard day?

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
He lives about 2 hours away. So I can call anytime if I need help.

And I'm not too sure that the breeder worked on really his aggression issues. I'm sure he socialized like a TON though- which helps with his fear barking of dogs and humans.

From what I was told, that REALLY made me happy, he's getting along with the dogs really well. He's always hated dogs...

Members online