Food Recomendation

Ivy

I'm looking for a food for Dallas in the medium price range. He can't have chicken, beef or grains.

He's currently on the same food he was on when he first got here, he used to do well on it and I believe the beef in it is causing him some issues now.

He was on raw, but he lost too much weight for my liking so I would like to have him on kibble. Since he can't have beef or chicken, the variety wasn't enough and i'm not in a position to get him other proteins due to how expensive they are. Maybe in the future, but it's no longer an option right now.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Acana is definitely not in the mid price range here. Definitely not for a dog as large as Dallas.

Other than that, I can't think right now. I'll come back to this.

JacksonsMom

California Natural grainfrees?

Innova PrimeGrain Free Salmon & Herring Formula?

Fromm Surf and Turf?

Annamaet Aqualuk? (probably closest to your price range).

Just some ideas that popped into my head.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Earthborn Holistic Meadow Feast is the first thing that popped into my head with those parameters. It's single source lamb protein, grain free, and lower price range. Especially if you can find a store that participates in their Buy 10 Get 1 Free.

Midpriced Grain free foods that I've used for my Dogo who can't have chicken (plus are beef free)

Nutrisource Grain Free Lamb (does have chicken fat, but is didn't bother Casper)
Earthborn Meadows Feast
Victor Yukon
Pulsar Fish

Ivy

I recommend raw if you have and can find a nearby co op to get good deals on meats. Otherwise, Acana :hail:
I don't want to do raw with Dallas right now. I'm not working at the moment and since he can't have chicken or beef the variety consisted of mostly pork, turkey and some fish but not enough. All other meats like venison, lamb, goat, etc. are really expensive around here. I couldn't afford it for such a big dog. Perhaps in the future I will try again when I can afford the expensive proteins. It's not in Dallas' best interest to be on a diet with such little variety.

I will look into all the food recommended here. Hopefully most will be in my price range. Once i'm in a position to spend more on foods, I will try raw again or at least move up to a super premium food.

Thank you all. :)

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Acana's not medium-priced, sadly.

Check out First Mate. I like them and their prices are reasonable. They have grain-free lamb and fish formulas, and they're Canadian. :)

MicksMom

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
If he can tolerate barley, maybe look into 4Health salmon and potato? I really can't remember if it has chicken in it or not, nor can I remember if there are grains in it other than barley, but Chloe does quite well on it. And since mid-price to me is, well, cheap, it is only about $30 for a 30lb bag, I believe, maybe a bit more.

Ivy

WOW!! California Natural costs 89.99 for a 13.6kg bag!! Definitely out of my budget.

Ivy

I was looking at that one since I was at Costco today but there have been so many recalls, i'm not too sure if I want to risk it.

Also, I was hoping in having Dallas on 1/2 raw if possible. His teeth get build up quickly. Would I still need to give variety and organs if he's on 1/2 kibble?

Last edited:

MicksMom

I was looking at that one since I was at Costco today but there have been so many recalls, i'm not too sure if I want to risk it...
The main reason I looked into & switched to Earthborn Holostics is because they manufacture their own food. I got tired of the run around answers from Natural Balance everytime there was a recall at a Diamond plant.

JacksonsMom

WOW!! California Natural costs 89.99 for a 13.6kg bag!! Definitely out of my budget.
Woah! It's around $60 for the 30lb bag here. Still pricey, but no $90!

Innova Prime Salmon is $61.99 on Chewy.com.

Fromm is my favorite brand, for prices and company, but you said no chicken or grains. Their Classic and Gold lines are priced great, and it's an awesome food.

Earthborn would definitely be my second choice. And they are price friendlier.

Members online