Dog behavior - please help!

akemi_hikari

Duck Toller Queen
Hi, does anybody know specific behavior traits for the bichon frise, golden retriever, border collie and cocker spaniel?

I.E goldens tend to be really bouncy
cockers have that thing where they can get "sudden rage syndrome" especially if they are of a solid colour espeically blonde
bichons.. I'm stuck there
and border collies have a tendancy to be fear agressive.

Please help if you know any more because its difficult to find this info online and in books.

Goldens are bouncy?.. well not in this house... LOL.. I have 3- 4yr old goldens who rarely leave the couch / floor or bed.. unless I have a tennis ball in my hand or they know they are going swimming (you just have to hold up a kids life jacket .. and they are at the door).. or out for a roller walk (my son rollerblades with them) or they see their walking leash...oh they'll get up for a treat... however, they barely lift their head if someone comes in the house.. LOL... and 10 4wk old pups who take right after their parents and take every opportunity they can to sleep.

They need exercsie.. no exercise and you have a bored golden who might be under you feet.. not sure about bouncy.. but if they are exercised.. they are content.. .. well mine are anyways.

I have yet to see a fearful B.Collie unless of course it was abused.. they are working dogs and if they aren't worked they are bored as well.. they are not the run of the mill family dog that lies around.

Last edited:

RD

Are you dead yet?
Border Collies should not be fearful. They are a bold herding breed, should be tough enough to take down an angry ram if necessary. Fear is a definite no-no. Although in some lines, the temperament is softer and the dog will have a greater tendency to be fearful if it is babied.
Border Collies are energetic, intense, loyal quick thinkers that have an insatiable work drive. They are easily bored and require an experienced owner to keep their behavior good, their mind sharp and their bodies tired out. LOL.

skyhigh

Border Collies definately need to be excersised lots. They run all day herding sheep. They have a mind which you have to give something to do.

Athe

goldens tend to be really bouncy: I have seen a lot of bouncy Golden's, hyper and sometimes fearful (genetically). They vary from breeder to breeder. They should be a stable breed, with soft mouths and easy to train.

cockers have that thing where they can get "sudden rage syndrome": I have seen sudden rage syndrome mainly in Springer Spaniels, I have yet to meet a Cocker with Rage syndrome and we groom a lot more Cocker's than springers :) (we have a few Springers with rage syndrome that come in for boarding/grooming with rage syndrome)...Bernese Mountain Dogs, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, Dobermanns, English Bull Terriers, German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, Pyrenean Mountain Dogs and St. Bernards can all suffer from Rage Syndrome.

border collies have a tendancy to be fear agressive: Any dog can be fear aggressive if not socialized properly within the critical period of socialization.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Ok I have an 8week old Goldne and he is playful but by no means bouncy. He is not like ilovegoldens goldens, maybe b/c he is not older but Dallas is not bouncy.
Border Collies are very good working breeds and like what was said before they have no fears..at least thats what I think..they herd so yes they must have lots of exercise. As for the Bishon and Cockers I have no clue about either one of those breeds.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
My golden was VERY bouncy. Not that she ever jumped on people; she was very well-mannered. It's just that she practically vibrated with energy at 6 months old. Luckily, she got a lot of exercise. It wasn't until about 2-3 years old that she became a little more steady.

F

fastpitchchic

I have a 3 1/2yr old golden, he is very energetic but I wouldn't say he's bouncy as he doesn't jump on people he is very well behaved. It is very rare for him to sit still for more than a few seconds at a time. He is often the one running a muck out of my 5 dogs. He can also be a huge couch potato when he wants. My golden is pretty fearless.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
goldens--I have seen some *very* bouncy, energetic goldens, and some very mellow ones as well. I think it varies depending on age, lineage and training
cockers--very energetic, bouncy and tend towards very vocal. they are also hard to housetrain from what I hear.
bichons Require weekly grooming to keep them looking good, can be very hyper, can be fairly laid back. The ones that bark do so often and with great piercing-ness. Interesting sense of humor.
border collies Repeat from above posts

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
Goldens:
-loving nature
-easy to train, but needs to be kept interested, as they are easily bored.
-medium size
-dog 56-61 cm (22-24 in) 34 kg (75 lb)
-bitch 51-56 cm (20-22 in) 29.5 kg (65 lb)
-Grooming fairly demanding
-Exercise demanding
-Feeding demanding
-Temperament intelligent and biddable

Cocker Spaniels:
(A=American E=English)
-A cheerful dog
-E often portrayed as the original slipper-fetching dog by his master's side
-A well natured
-E delights on carrying things
-A small size
-A dog 11-13 kg (24-28 1/2 lb) 36.5-39 cm (14 1/2- 15 1/2 in)
-A bitch 11-13 kg (24-28 1/2 lb) 33.5-36.5 cm (13--14 1/2 in)
-A Grooming extensive
-A exercise medium
-A feeding small
-A temperament cheerful and intelligent
-E small size
-E dog 39-41 cm (15-16 in) 12.5-14.5 kg (27 1/2- 32 lb)
-E bitch 38-39 cm (15-15.5 in) 12.5-14.5 kg (27 1/2-32 lb)
-E grooming regular
-E exercise medium
-E feeding small
-E temperament merry, exuberant

Hope that wasnt too complicated for ya! :)

Bichon Frise:

-size small
- 23-28 cm (9-11 in) 3-6 kg (6 1/2- 13 lb) (dog and bitch)
- grooming demanding
- exercise medium
- feeding medium
- temperament a friendly extrovert

Hope this helped :)

Laurr

bubbatd

Of all my Goldens over my 56 years, I have never owned or whelped a " bouncy " golden. Believe me I've seen them !!! The one I have now is a rescue ( from my breeding ... but not my litter) ....they felt he needed more play time. Thing is, when they got him as a pup, they would spend 15 mins. every evening after work with balls, frisbees etc and then expected him to settle down. Goldens don't need this !! They are not high energy dogs....if you make them bouncy, they are doing it to please you ! Two months after I had Chip he realized this and became a great dog for me.

akemi_hikari

Duck Toller Queen
Thanks so much for all you guy's help.. that was awesome. I only say that goldens are bouncy from my experience of them in the shop. One golden I had totally flattened me at every opportunity! It was cute but would be a bit crazy if he did that all the time. I also know alot of them to jump up at people. Another just lay on my lap, much to my dismail cos she wasn't exactly light! But yeah. Nice to get such a good response from owners!

amymarley

I have to agree with all the above, but unless there is a trainer or behavorist present, it's hard to give a prognoses about anything. A trainer has to be physically there with the pet to find the triggers and behavior problems. They all have their own personalities, fears, aggression, compulsion etc.... so you can't group all of them and give an acurate account on "what's going on in their head." There are ways to test and then train. Training is so good for dogs.... they love the attention, the brain exerciese and actually accomlishing tasks for love/treats....

Members online

No members online now.