Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-23-2014, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

We had an AWESOME class last night. Kili was on form. There was really no messing around... she was all business. Love it when I see this, and especially when it happens more and more consistently. She wasn't totally perfect but she was fast, enthusiastic, focused. And this was a tough course that even the master level students agonized over. I think she did really well considering. Oh, and she got both of her switch cues... which is awesome. Though she did find that last tunnel VERY enticing.

Right now for working on her focus we're "throwing bunnies" (as my trainer calls it ). I give her a container of food or a toy and she randomly throws it out on course when Kili is doing well. Basically... she has no idea when the "bunny" is coming, which should encourage her to pay attention all the time.

Oh, and then we worked on some gamble stuff. Wish I had a video. She did it perfectly twice!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 10-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

Kili looks great! It always blows me away how TALL she is, and how well she gets around the obstacles. I feel like she could practically do a 2o2o on the a-frame and still not be in the contact if she stretched a bit!

I am so happy that we FINALLY have an agility lesson this weekend. Between scheduling, dealing with Gusto's lameness, and a cancellation by the instructor, it felt like we were never going to get going. Our barn rental for the winter starts in a couple of weeks, and we are ready to really TRAIN this winter, and, if all goes well, aim to trial again in February.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Kili looks great! It always blows me away how TALL she is, and how well she gets around the obstacles. I feel like she could practically do a 2o2o on the a-frame and still not be in the contact if she stretched a bit!

I am so happy that we FINALLY have an agility lesson this weekend. Between scheduling, dealing with Gusto's lameness, and a cancellation by the instructor, it felt like we were never going to get going. Our barn rental for the winter starts in a couple of weeks, and we are ready to really TRAIN this winter, and, if all goes well, aim to trial again in February.
Ha ha. She probably could. I was really happy with the tight turns we had in there, especially at those tunnel-dogwalk transitions.

Yay for agility lesson! I know what going without classes is like. Not fun!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 10-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Payton is on major impulse control bootcamp this week. He did not get to play about 50% of his runs this weekend. I enacted no stay-no play after he ran off on me before I even started to walk away and do my lead out... no sir. This is unacceptable. He did have one really good NQ jumpers run - I cheated and didn't even ask for a startline stay, because why should I? I'm fast and don't really need one - and Saturday he got his second NF leg (yaaay... no one cares, not even me) but it was really not... a pleasant weekend. A fellow competitor told me her dog, who is far more experienced than P, had just started blowing his startline stay that weekend too so she suggested it was just a tough environment. Incredibly frustrating because his stays had been excellent the last two trials and then it was like suddenly non-existent.

Georgie had no weaves all weekend long and my mom is mad and thinks she needs to completely re-train her weaves. We almost got into an argument when I pointed out I gave her a Clean Run article with about a dozen weave pole proofing exercises and so far she has spent two months only just barely bothering to do the very first exercise. But despite the complete lack of weaves Georgie had some EXCELLENT runs and did some beautiful handling. Since I was pulling Payton off the course so often, I didn't get to do most of the stuff I wanted with him, so I did it with Georgie instead and my gosh does she just handle beautifully most of the time. I am pleased as punch with how she runs for me. Reliable weaves and contacts would be nice to actually get us some Qs, but otherwise, just beautiful.

Another three day weekend next weekend and then one final two day in November. I just want my Open titles before winter starts and I'm starting to feel like it won't happen. Maybe it never will. I don't know. People try to be really encouraging but it's just disheartening to feel like nothing is working and we take two steps forward and then twenty steps back. And of course everybody is always helpful with the "but he's so pretty!" Sigh. If only judges neglected to give us a F for blown contacts because he's pretty.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog