Age old question - 1 or more dogs

DobeDad

This question is for those who have more than one dog.

Is it true that two dogs are twice the work (or more) than one? Or is it a little easier with 2?

I've only ever had one dog at a time. I currently have a young doberman who has a crazy high energy level. Not that i'm looking to spend less time with her, just wondering if having a second would provide better exercise for her since they would ideally play together? Its tough during the work week when the wife and i are gone for 7-8 hours a day.

Ash47

Taco Dog
Precious was always fine being a "loner." But once we got Spud, it seems as if that kind of fills whatever, if any, void she had. She has someone to look after and play with. Someone to clean and yell(bark) at. Spud has to have someone. If not, he just lies there looking all pitiful. When Precious is around, his little face lights up.
Roxy Mae has Oreo, and I think that suits her just fine. I took her to a friend's home a few weeks ago where there was a Rat Terrier, a Shih-Tzu and 4 cats. Roxy totally and completely ignored the dogs and played with the cats. (Don't tell the other dogs, but I think she is more of a cat person.)
It may just depend on the dog. But I think that if I were a dog, I would want another of my kind around. But, I do say it's best to get a friend for your dog when your pet is young, so that they can get used to one another. If you don't, the older dog may think that someone is invading their territory. But, that is just the way I see it. Grammy or CreatureTeacher would be of more use than I.
Hope I helped a little. :D

Irish

I've always had 2 dogs and no I don't think its any more work than having 1. (It is twice the vet bill every year though :D )

If you think you'd like another, just let them meet first so you can see if they are compatible. Follow your heart.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I think it's more work when it comes to grooming, baths, and more money for vets and food andthings like that. But my two tire each other out and keep each other company when I'm gone so I think it's worth the baths and grooming and money.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
depends on the dogs ages as well.an older dog may not want to romp as much as a younger...twice the work, twice the food, twice the vet bills, twice the love, twice the laffs, twice as nice..i will always have two..for i feel they need each other's company just as much as they need mine..but in all honestly..twice the shedding, twice the baths..twice the responsiblity.

Fran27

I just got another puppy and my first dog is so much happier now. He used to be bored all the time, sleeping a lot, now he spends most of his time playing, running around, and having fun. Sure, it's lots of work, but at the same time it gives you more time because they play together a lot, and it's time you can spend doing whatever you want.

bubbatd

Twice everything....plus the return love. Depending on the breed, I think they enjoy the company and playing together does help the energy level. By only having multi Goldens I've had no problems. It really has to be a good match , I feel. I would recommend fostering and if it works out adopt. Alot of introduction and " feeling them out ". This can also be done by visiting a Humane Society . Most have a play area and you can see the interaction. With a young Dob, I would suggest an older dog.

Swiftwind

Harley & Abby
I think it's twice as much work (and money), but you get twice the amount of enjoyment! :)
I've had just Harley, Harley and Ringo (he was a big dog), and Harley and Abby (two small dogs).

I've always found it to be easier. My older dog teaches the younger ones; the younger ones keep the older ones young, and they do an excellent job of exercising each other - physically and mentally. I don't find it to be twice the expense for most things, with the exception of food. The vet only charges me for one office visit when I take all two or three in at the same time. Treatments like heartworm and flea deterrents are doubled or tripled - if you don't buy from a source that will give you a volume discount.

All in all, you get much more than you give up with more than one dog.

moe

When I had two dogs I didnt find it was twice the work than having the one dog, there was no real difference, now I have 4 well that is different, as they are a largish breed, I find walking all four together can be hard work, especially with the pups who are 7 months old, as they seem to want to compete all the time with each other on who can get in front of the other whist walking, so at the moment I have to walk twice as much, also in training, with the bike its gonna be twice as much too, but apart from that no real difference, oh and the fact there is twice less floor space to walk on when they are all lounging about :p

Mo

mrose_s

BusterLove
it depends really on your circumstances.

If you have a dog, but spend time away from it, i suggest getting a friend. Someone for it to play with and have some company while you are away.

If you are nearly always at home and are training your dog a lot or something, especially if you have a high energy dog, one is probably a good choice.

but in your situation (high energy pup) if you are away a lot of the time, get him a friend. thats my opinion

mrose_s

BusterLove
(oh and we have three dogs, walking them is a little difficult, but only because buster is a handful, good training and you'll be fine with more than one dog)

Having more than one dog definitely is more work. I have three wonderful rescue dogs - Colby Cheesehead, Mayberry, and Tippy. It's 3x the mess, 3x the fur, 3x the food to feed, 3x the vet bills, 3x the exercise, and 3x the responsibility! It's not as easy as having one dog.

DobeDad

Thanks for all the replies! It seems the overwhelming opinion is two dogs is the way to go.

My plan in getting a second dog - on top of having another loving companion - is that they would keep each other company and wear each other out. At this point we take our Dobe to the park (off-leash park) and she wanders around and sniffs, plays with other dogs when they are there, but otherwise isn't using much energy.

Plus training another dog would be fun, hopefully learn from all my past mistakes!

Although I would be worried about the two of them getting along. This could all backfire if one day they decide playing with each other isn't so fun afterall.

showpug

I have 4 and am considering a 5th, but don't know if I can take the plunge. I can't imagine what life would be like with 1 dog. So much free time :D It is defiantly IMO more work to have more than one, but well worth it!!!! :)

avenlee

Well, there's always going to be a second expense in everything with two dogs or another dog in your case. Eg. dog food, vet visits and shots, toys, time spending with each one (which I think is important! :) ) Basically, everything you would do for the one, you'll have to double it.

BUT!!!! Its wonderful seeing my Sadie and Nora interact with eachother. They truly are wonderful! They each have their separate personalities that individualize themselves. Its just like having one child or two. Many say ehhh, when you have one, what's one more and so on and so on ..... And each child (I have three girls :eek: ) has their own personality and contribute in their own way to the family structure (not counting housework chores!! :eek: :rolleyes: ) I think you'll get my meaning.

For example .... I FINALLY brought Sadie to be groomed this past Sunday. She looks like a totally different dog! and I'm trying to get pics done soon! But anyway, Sadie was gone for 3 1/2 hours and Nora didn't know what to do with herself while she was gone. Totally distraught! When Sadie came back, Nora practically knocked my daughters down, who were admiring and petting Sadie, to get to her. Now granted as most of you know, Nora is a 15 pound Westie and Sadie is a 30 pound Cocker Spaniel. LOL I think Nora almost didn't recognize Sadie and was sniffiing her constantly throughout the day.

I'm just saying there is a bond that two dogs (even different breeds) have together just as any other family member would have. They learn from eachother, either against their wishes (nagging, fighting, pestering.... arrrgh CALGON!) or just by finding a common ground and position in the family. I, personally, wouldn't have wanted an only child because I wanted them to feel the joy and excitement and comfort from having a sibling. Be it two legged or four legged.

Doberluv

I love having multiple dogs, but I'm at home and have lots of time. It is harder when I want to travel to the next state and stay at my daughter's apt....have to do leashes every time they go out to potty. I'm use to just opening the door and letting them out where I live....in the wilderness and they stick around. But in Seattle (I'm going tomorrow) it's a bit of a hassle. But otherwise, everything everyone already said seems to hold true.

I would recommend however, (being a Dobe owner, myself) that you wait until your youngster is about 2 and becomes a little more "civilized." LOL. It is a lot of work to train a Doberman well and takes lots of time. I couldn't personally handle another Doberman puppy yet with my nearly 2 yr old. I want to get him REeeeeeellly good first and then we'll see. Were you thinking another Dobe?

Like it was said, an older dog from rescue might be just the ticket, one that has pretty decent manners that you wouldn't have to spend much time on training. You could enjoy both dogs, but put your training energy into your Dobe pup. But....I'd still wait. These little helions have a hard time paying attention. Do you notice that? I think if they're focused on us until they get some of this down pat, it would be easier than if their attention is divided between another new dog and you. Of course, I have two other dogs, but he was the new comer as a puppy and they're old hat.

Also, I recommend the opposite sex.

Boy...sorry about the rambling.

Members online

No members online now.