nail clippers

luvmydogs

i was thinking if i should clip my MinPin's nails by myelf, because he hates the groomer to touch him, they have to put a muzzle on him. hes a little monster!! i wanna buy nail clippers, but his nails are black and i dont want to cut his veins...if he had white nails, it would be easy. should i just stick with the groomer? or is there a way u can tell how far u can cut???

gapeach

Big Mutts
We have clippers that have a little guard on them, so you're not supposed to be able to cut too short

Tiffer

I cut my Min Pin X nails myself now....I'll admit the first time it was very scary....luckily some of her nails are white....if you aren't sure just cut off a little bit and make sure you have Quick Stop?!?! I'm not sure if that's the name of the stuff...I just use those BIG people nail clippers.
Good luck.

oriondw

user not active
Just walk him on road/sidewalk few times a day and you wont have to cut them at all.

luvmydogs

oriondw said:
Just walk him on road/sidewalk few times a day and you wont have to cut them at all.
thats the problem, i walk him 4-5 times a day, but he wants to go in the woods or the field, hes horrified of concrete....or rather cars plus he wants to attack every person he sees....

I never liked those nail trimmers with the guard. I guess I don't get how they're supposed to prevent you from hitting the quick when all dog's nails are different.
I also have a small dog and I like to use cat nail trimmers. My vet uses human fingernail clippers.
Just clip the tips of the nails if you are nervous. Do it at least once a week.
I have a real problem with my puppy. I was doing her nails myself but then the Vet did them and cut the vein. Ever since then she has been terrible about letting anyone do them. She acts like we're killing her and struggles so much than I can't keep a grip on her foot. She will even try to bite. I can touch her feet and do it all the time, but any time I mess with her nails, she jerks away. The last time I cut her nails, she was so sound asleep she didn't even notice it. I even filed her front ones.
I am going to try the advice in that link that someone so nicely provided. Her nails rip the crap out of me on a daily basis!

Pam

Members online

No members online now.