Fireworks Fear

Irish

I'm sure lots of you have dogs that are afraid of thunder and fireworks. What do you do? Murray is petrified and there is no calming him. We try sitting with him on the couch and talking to him gently but he goes into a blind panic, running from room to room, panting. He is so scared I worry about him. With this being the 4th of July - it will be a loooooong weekend.

I know I can talk to the vet about tranquilers. Do any of you use them? And, since its too late to get them for this weekend, any suggestions on how to calm him?

showpug

I turn the TV or music on fairly loud and leave it on. You may want to turn it on louder around the time the fireworks start, but leave it on the whole day turning it louder before the action starts. This works for my dogs as they just assume the noise is coming from the TV. Make sure you stay in the room where the TV is, so the noise is the most muffled.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Mary has to go with us, there for Victor will too..we go to a small school where there is nobody and you can still see a very nice city display..she is leashed and so will he be, Gg will sit there and hold Mary's paw then i will sit with her in the car. That is what we have had to do for 12 years. If i left her home alone she would shred my bedroom and be scared to death. WE don't know how shaffer will do..so maybe he will have to go along too. Trudy won't be around this year to be afraid, and last year her deafness saved her for the first time in her life. I wish people would save it for the parks instead of the homes..they shoot off so many in the neighborhoods that there is a haze of smoke like dense fog everywhere you drive and the air reeks of carbon. Lets all pray for rain. last year a 5 year old gurl was killed by an errate rocket..please all be incredibly careful. They had a boy on the news last night that was not allowed to shoot off any himself but he sat in his driveway to watch the neighbors. One of the fire balls from a rocket shot out the wrong way went straight up this boy's shorts tho he was at least a hundred feet away. He was in the burn unit for 24 days and had to have skin grafts to his thighs and buttock. It just isn't worth the risk. i would be blind in one eye if it hadn't been for my best friend's brother. A bottle rocket at the park zipped into my hair and was an inch from my eye when her brother ran up and grabbed it yanking hair and all then threw it before it went off. I like the park displays and plan on using my money for a lot better then blowing it up in one night.

showpug

You are welcome...hope it works, or at least helps. You may find yourself sleeping with it on :eek:

Tiffer

I'm going to have to try the turning the TV on loud....someone started early (it's Canada day) and Angel was barking up a storm....I decided I would take her outside (it's still light out) for another walk so she could see there is nothing to be afraid of, but wouldn't you know it, who ever was shooting them off had stopped....so I spent the last half hour chasing birds and butterflies with Angel LOL.
Everyone please be safe....fireworks are dangerous things!!

bubbatd

I worry about the adopted dogs as no one knows of their past experiences. My own dogs were subjected as pups,and though a few were " ify" about it, they learned it was nothing to fear. When I first got Chip at 4 yrs. I wasn't sure how he would cope. The first 4th we took a walk in the yard as I owww and awwwed. Now if thunder or fireworks happen, he just comes and lays at my feet.. he may be upset, but I don't make a big deal of it . I boarded 2 dogs who used to crash through the windows ( not at my house ) scared to death.....one time on the 5th I got a call that they had my dog ! I did a head count and all 4 were home. The Canon girls crashed again and still had my tag on their collars !!

showpug said:
I turn the TV or music on fairly loud and leave it on. You may want to turn it on louder around the time the fireworks start, but leave it on the whole day turning it louder before the action starts. This works for my dogs as they just assume the noise is coming from the TV. Make sure you stay in the room where the TV is, so the noise is the most muffled.
Brilliant

3furkids

I use Rescue Remedy for thunder and fireworks fear. It works wonderfully! I keep it in my bedside stand in case we have thunder throught the night. Phoebe pants, paces and cries. She settles down within 15 mins. You can buy it at the health food store.

Rescue Remedy

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i wish someone would tell the neighbors that the fourth is Monday..they must have an endless supply for they have been shooting them off for 5 straight hours now..Mary is curled up at my feet..fortunately Vic seems unbothered by them..sigh, i only have to get up in 5 hours.

Irish

Amen to that Smkie!!! I'm not trying to be a party pooper here, but my neighbors have been shooting off the @#$! fireworks (M80's) for a week now. If it was contained to one day, on the 4th when its supposed to be, I could handle it.

Thank you all for your responses! Happy 4th, to the US people! :)

mrose_s

BusterLove
Last night was fireworks night here, so in addition to the huge display, there are private firework shows. :)

Sophie and buster are ok (my family goes up on the roof as they can see them from there but I stay down stairs because sophie doesnt like them) But daisy is really scared, so they take her up on the roof with them. Is there any way that you could possible get out of own for the weekend, maybe go camping or what not?

Irish

Mrose,
Na, I'm afraid we are homebound for the weekend. Luckily it is cool here, so I'm going to take Showpugs suggesting and close all the windows and turn up the volume on the TV and radio. I don't like to be this way, but if it gets real bad I may call the police, fireworks are illegal in Michigan. Already this morning, someone has been letting off M80's, which are so loud, you can feel the house tremble!

Doberluv

None of my dogs is afraid of fireworks. I don't know if what I've done made a difference or not. Maybe they're just not afraid. But what I always did was before they really got started and people would just do a few during the day, I'd get out a special toy that they don't get to have all the time and some treats and make like a party. When one would go off, I'd make happy, squealy sounds like, "ooooooooo, woooo hoooo. What's that?" (in a super cheerful voice) I'd throw the toy and play tug and give treats. They'd start out looking a bit alarmed but then look at me and look like they were saying, "Oh....this is fun? OK....whatever." LOL. I've even lit some off right out front and they didn't seem to mind.

One thing....if your dog is extremely nervous, try not to make too big of a sympathy fuss. I know it's hard, but it reinforces their way of thinking that something REALLY is wrong. (not that they don't already think that, but....)

My horses needed tranquilizers. They were a mess on the 4th. I was afraid they'd really hurt themselves. So, if your dog is too far gone to reach, then I would ask the vet for next time.

You might try conditioning them during the year before the next time. Find something that makes a similar sound, maybe not so loud and do it sometimes, assoiciating it with good times and good food. Just little by little during the year, gradually increasing.

Irish

Good advice Doberluv. I never thought about that before but I probably do make it worse by "babying" Murray and petting him and hushing him, etc. If I have the "no big deal" attitude, it can only help. Besides, babying him is definetly not helping anway. Thanks a lot.

showpug

Irish said:
Good advice Doberluv. I never thought about that before but I probably do make it worse by "babying" Murray and petting him and hushing him, etc. If I have the "no big deal" attitude, it can only help. Besides, babying him is definetly not helping anway. Thanks a lot.
Totally agree...if my dogs act chicken over things I never comfort them. I always act brave and calm and encourage that in my dogs. If they see me soothing and doting over them then they probably start to think that something is worth being scared over.

Doberluv

I do comfort my dogs at times....with a little pat and a word, but don't like to make too big of an "awwwwwwww, you pooooor baby" and try to keep my tone in the "no big deal" thing. I have seen them calm down about other things with a little comforting, "it's OK, no big deal"....just don't go overboard. LOL.

I know they say to ignore them when they're upset, but I have experimented purposely with this (LOL) and with my dogs anyhow, I've noticed that it doesn't seem to hurt to give them a little word here and a little pat, "it's OK" there. It just goes against my nature to completely ignore them if they're looking at me like, "what is it Mom? I'm worried." A reassuring voice and then change the subject seemed to make them at ease again.

Members online