Lazy raw feeding?...harmful?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I'm the laziest raw feeder on the planet.

merlin gets kibble some of the time, but about 50% of the time when I want him to not only eat but stay busy all morning...he gets raw.

Now, the problem is, I'm not exactly meticulous anymore when it comes to the proper percentages or even weights of his meals. He just...eats...whatever is around really. I figure since he is still getting kibble the nutrients are still there right?

For meals he gets: Mostly Chicken quarters but also pork neck, turkey neck etc...
I mean I've seen no adverse effects but was wondering if this is an OK situation

...I even occasionally do both kibble and raw...

Eh, I just mix and match whatever...been doing it that way for over 12 years now. I do make sure eventually to get everything but I certainly done measure out or balance each meal. And yes, with feeding kibble as well you will get some measure of coverage from it....

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
You do it how I do it, lol. Obviously if I fed only raw, that'd change... but I don't.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
My only concern would be if you are only giving him those types of meals when feeding raw (the necks/quarters), and it's 50% of his diet, then he is getting A LOT of bone. Bone should make up 10ish percent of the diet, and if I'm understanding what you are saying, he's probably getting like 30+ percent bone. Unless I'm not understanding what you are saying. In which case just ignore me :p

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
My only concern would be if you are only giving him those types of meals when feeding raw (the necks/quarters), and it's 50% of his diet, then he is getting A LOT of bone. Bone should make up 10ish percent of the diet, and if I'm understanding what you are saying, he's probably getting like 30+ percent bone. Unless I'm not understanding what you are saying. In which case just ignore me :p
No you are totally right...it is a lot of bone for half his meals.

What started as "here's something bony to keep you occupied" turned into, why not make it a meal? And I think that's where the problem lies.

10% is much lower than I thought... I just am not sure what the largest portion of the meal should be made of that is easy to find.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Pork roasts (while spendy) tend to take a while to nom cause its all ripping/tearing, and it is all meat. Just take away when he's eaten about a meals worth, then give it back at next meal time for him to work on more?

iriskai

If you want to do more meat and have the meal take longer to keep him busy, feed it frozen solid. Also, fish around with hunter friends on CL, right about now people are cleaning out last year's venison to make room for this year. I've been handed a lot of free stuff!

Members online

No members online now.