Overwhelmed with food

I'm in a fairly rural area. We are hours away from town, so when we do get into town every few months we stock up on dog food. From December until April or May we won't get into town at all so we really need to stock up this time. We have three dogs, one has pancreatitis.

Currently the one with pancreatitis has been on Chicken Soup for the Soul Weight Control since it's only 6% fat. He's done very well since being on it now for a little over 6 months. Recently I've noticed he's licking himself, a lot. Generally the groin area but other places too, I'm thinking he might have some sort of issue with the food that's causing the licking as he's never had behavior prior.

The other two have no health issues, one was prone to ear infections, he was on Beneful prior to me knowing him. Since being changed off it he's had no ear infections that was a little over 3 years ago, so clearly the food was causing it. We've fed a variety of brands, Go!, Orijen, Acana, Boreal, Ovenbaked, TOTW, Lifetime, Canidae and Fromm. With three dogs it gets really expensive especially having to buy in bulk especially with one having to be on a separate food.

Any suggestions that might save us a little money? These are the brands that we have access to and that our family can possibly send over on the ferry without much trouble if need be. Plus grocery brands like Purina, Iams etc. but I'm hesitant in feeding those brands.
Canidae
Wellness
Orijen
Acana
Ovenbaked
Boreal
Go!
Taste of the Wild
Chicken Soup
Lifetime
Fromm
Nutrience

Raw is not an option neither is homemade.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Wellness has a low fat grain free food called Simple Healthy Weight.

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product-details.aspx?pet=dog&pid=169#guaranteed-analysis

It has the same 6% fat guarantee and is from a brand I tend to like more than Chicken Soup. My dog also has pancreatitis and he actually gets Taste of the Wild as one of this 3 meals a day because I needed to carefully put weight back on him. How big is your pancreatitis dog? It may be easiest to get one bag for each dog, two of the same for your healthy ones and a separate bag for your special pup.

I haven't seen that one before. The only Wellness I've seen are the Super mixes and Core. I wonder if the mom and pop shop I normally get the food at can order that particular one in since they carry Wellness anyways? He's about 45lbs, medium sized.

Fromm, Acana and Orijen are the pricest around here, I used to feed Orijen frequently but when it got to the point it was almost $100 a bag I refused to buy it anymore, Fromm same thing, even Acana is rising in price. I think they're good foods but I refuse to pay those kinds of prices. There are only a few varieties of the Acana that are still decently priced which I don't mind buying for the other two just none that work with my pancreatic dog. What are thoughts on Canidae?

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
I can't speak to canidae as I've never fed it. Hopefully someone who has or does will chime in. What about a delivery service like Chewy.com?

I think you can save a lot if you choose acana. Yes, it's a bit expensive, but you only have to give them just a small serving. I've tried acana before, It was recommended by my vet for a malnourished pooch I adopted. I only give her small servings a per vet instructions, and in just 2 weeks, the changes in her physical condition is very noticeable, her poop was good too, loose and moist. And about your dog licking himself a lot, it's a telling sign that he may be having allergies.

Dekka

Just try me..
Go! is pretty good. I like Orijen/Acana better but Go! is often cheaper. Also Canadian made if you like supporting 'local'.

FurryJerks

I ended up buying Go! Sensitivity + Shine Salmon. It's 12% fat so on the higher end of the low fat spectrum he's been on it since Wednesday and so far so good, knock on wood. I have always been a huge fan of Petcurean so hopefully this works out, it's something they can all eat and all have done great on in the past.

I refuse to buy Champion anymore their prices are outrageous. The Acana used to be a decent price, much cheaper than Orijen and now it's just as much. I refuse to pay $90-$100 for a bag of food that if all three were eating it would last maybe 3 weeks. I think it is a good food and company but the price... no way.

Members online

No members online now.