Theriogenology Class Thread

medusozoan

Previously ravennr
I'm spending the day tomorrow starting the course.

For anyone new to Coursera, if you complete and pass this course, you get a certificate for it. The certificates you earn for passing courses can actually be used, shown to employers. That's part of why I signed up for the classes I did.

Saeleofu

I'm spending the day tomorrow starting the course.

For anyone new to Coursera, if you complete and pass this course, you get a certificate for it. The certificates you earn for passing courses can actually be used, shown to employers. That's part of why I signed up for the classes I did.
That's why I signed up for a bunch of teaching courses.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Don't you have to pay the fee to get the certificate though? I can't justify the money for the actual class course fee right now, so I'm going to be going through it without that.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
No, you don't pay for the certificate. That's not how Coursera works.

From their Signature Track (paid service) FAQ:
Q. What happens if I don't join? Is the course still free?
A. Joining is entirely optional. You can still participate in the complete course for free and earn a Statement of Accomplishment.
It's part of a very popular movement as of lately to EDUCATE people. MIT launched an initiative I think two or three years ago to make ALL their courses and course material available online. Because they want people to learn. You don't get a fancy piece of paper that says you have a degree for it. But you learn.

If you google around you'll find there's quite a bit of university level classes available online for free. It's rather awesome IMO.

medusozoan

Previously ravennr
It really is amazing for these schools to be doing this. Knowing how many people can't afford to get this education. I will never be able to afford a good college, and I am absolutely horrified of student loan debt.. And it's great because with my past independent studies, unless it was dogs or animals, I had a very difficult time just completing it or getting anything done. With Coursera, I have some accountability. Makes it so much easier for me.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
i signed up for it, but work has been so crazy i havent had a chance to sit down and go over day 1. does anyone know if you can go several days without touching it and then catch up 2-3x a week? :(

medusozoan

Previously ravennr
i signed up for it, but work has been so crazy i havent had a chance to sit down and go over day 1. does anyone know if you can go several days without touching it and then catch up 2-3x a week? :(
I had to do this with my last course because I came in about a month late.

Mine was...46 words lol. There's just not much to say.
Oh THANK YOU. I'm all done except the case study, and I know what I want to say, but it seems so short. I wondered if I was trying to make it too simple, like I was answering questions over the phone...I DO feel better that you guys have short answers also. I just don't know what else I can say...:rofl1:

Saeleofu

It goes by week, not day. You have until Thursday night to complete each week.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
It's really not super time intensive guys, don't panic. You're not behind!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Oh, I feel ridiculous. I haven't started anything and I'm so nervous. I don't know how anyone got up to 46 words on the case study!

Saeleofu

Oh, I feel ridiculous. I haven't started anything and I'm so nervous. I don't know how anyone got up to 46 words on the case study!
A lot of filler, that's how lol. If I learned anything in the IB program, it was how to add fluff and pretend I know what I'm talking about ;)

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Are the case studies required in order to complete the course?

#1 - I still can't find where to do the case study
#2 - I don't like writing if I don't have to. ;)

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Are the case studies required in order to complete the course?

#1 - I still can't find where to do the case study
#2 - I don't like writing if I don't have to. ;)
Go to the theriogenology page, click "Go to class" and on the left column, click on "Week 1" and in the outlines there's a link to the case study. I think you'll find it difficult to answer just because of its simplicity. I'm going to take Sael's advice to try to fluff it up to make a longer answer.

ETA: Yes, I'm pretty sure it's required.

Saeleofu

Case studies are required to get the certificate. They're really simple, but I peeked ahead and I think I'd be pretty annoyed and just start to ignore this neighbor and not answer calls if this person was really my neighbor lol.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Case studies are required to get the certificate. They're really simple, but I peeked ahead and I think I'd be pretty annoyed and just start to ignore this neighbor and not answer calls if this person was really my neighbor lol.
Oh, dear. I did the same thing, and come to the conclusion that my neighbor is a bit of a moron. She obviously didn't follow the advice I would have given her.

Are you guys going to do the "Further Discovery?" I will, I think it looks fun + more learning.

Losech

I'm a bit miffed since on every quiz I got all three answers right, but it marked me down as wrong for one answer on each quiz. What the heck.
I barely wrote anything for the case study. I'm not concerned about short answers, I'm attending to learn, nothing more.

Gypsydals

I signed up yesterday and I think I completed week 1. I did the quiz and the case study (with a short answer).

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I warned my neighbor about keeping her rescue dog away from the males when her dog went into standing heat. Something tells me I'm gonna be pissed at my neighbor. :rofl1:

Oh, and mine was pretty long and ramble-y...oh well.

Members online

No members online now.