When you get old and creaky

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
what type of dog(s) do you think you will have?!

I like to think I will stick with the ACD's for life, but who knows if I will be able to keep up with them in that state. I have no idea what I would replace them with though. :(

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I figure that's about the point where I'll just be the "last stop" for elderly rescue dogs.
I'm old, they're old. We'll all be old together.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
I will show Pekes and Shih Tzu, or maybe Frenchies. Also, ancient hound dog rescues FTW.

JacksonsMom

Depending on living situation, probably an older Golden Retriever or something similar, or a smaller older dog like a Chihuahua.

Toller_08

Depends on how old and creaky I am! I want fun, crazy herding dogs (always Aussies, probably a Koolie or Kelpie at some point) forever along with my Tollers. So as long as I can provide them all that they need, that's what I'll have. And I don't think even when I'm old that I wouldn't be able to have these breeds. My current dogs, while active, are easy to live with. So at this point I'd say that if I'm having a hard time with the breeds I like, then it's probably time for me to no longer have dogs.

That said, if I ever go for a smaller dog, it'll be either a random rescue mix or a Border Terrier.

Elrohwen

I adore cavaliers. If it wasn't for the health problems, I would have a bunch of them in my old age.

Honestly, Welshies might be doable. There are quite a few breeders who are older and not able to be too active, and they manage. Most Welshies aren't nearly as crazy as Watson.

I could see English cocker if I needed something smaller and easier to physically handle than a Welsh, but with a similar temperament.

Maybe a papillon! I love them.

So I guess it's spaniels for life then. Haha. I definitely want herders, but maybe not when I'm old and creaky.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I don't know, maybe I'll have old and creaky border collies. And toad dogs.

Lyzelle

I really adore the border collies. I might stick with them. And/or maybe I'll get back into the giants. I've always had a soft spot for Mastiffs, I just don't get along with them right now because they are so SLLLOOOOOWWWW.

But when I'm old and creaky, they will probably finally be about the right speed! :rofl1:

I want to have a whole pack of weirdo fear-aggressive rescue chihuahuas. They always ended up being my favorite dogs when I worked in the shelter world because you had to earn their trust. Even though it could be frustrating at times it was always worth it for that moment when their tail would wag for the first time, or when they would finally let you touch them! I'm totally going to be the chihuahua version of the crazy cat lady :rofl1:

Pomeranians. A herd of them.

Fortunately, I think Shar Pei are also doable. Quite a few of the ones I've met have been owned by elderly couples, and doing well; they are content with a few daily walks, they don't need to be the life of the party. Honestly in a lot of ways they're like bigger, health-issue-ridden, guardy cats :p I would just have to still be willing to work with the dog selectivity/stranger danger that they have.

Every now and then I toy with the idea of Chows too, but I have much more experience with the wrinkly dogs.

I'm sure I'll still have at least one or two English Bullies. Maybe an older mid sized shelter mutt, or something small from a shelter might make its way in there.

Members online