Moral Superiority of People Who Rescue

AliciaD

On second thought...
My first exposure to dogs was through the rescue scene. Now I lean towards the breeder route.

When I was learning about dogs (neither of my folks had ever had one) I was volunteering at a shelter and was taught that "fixing" a dog was always healthier and that being intact leads to all sorts of behaviour issues, dogs die waiting for the home taken by a bred dog, etc etc.

But there's scuffles between a lot of different sides- show vs working, no kill shelter vs kill shelter, etc.

I know a lot of people who prefer adopting adult dogs because they feel that sans health they know what they are getting vs what they feel is still a level of unpredictability with a breeder puppy. On the flip side, many like the what they see as predictability from a breeder that a rescue dog doesn't offer.

And I know plenty of people from the breeder side who hold a sense of Intellectual Superiority over rescue people.

crazedACD

I am somewhat horrified lately at the amount of 'lynch mobbing' going on in the rescue circles. Some of the people representing shelters, animal control facilities, and rescues are shockingly rude and nasty on social media. Guys, YOU are hurting the dogs, if it was ran more like a business and marketed better, maybe you would see an increase in adoptions, a reduction of intakes? On one facilities' facebook page, the posts are constantly just crass. She's threatened to take down the Facebook page for drama, and then goes on to say "The FB page saves so many animals, their deaths would be on you guys if I have to take it down!".
We have been taking applications since Friday, and only have TWO people signed up for this! SERIOUSLY? there are only TWO people that want to get their dogs fixed for $25.00??? Wow....This has been on FB, the paper, and I have been handing out flyers and applications EVERYWHERE I go. Everyone who lives in the target area, if you do not participate in this you are NO longer allowed to blame anyone but yourself for the over pet population in the area! Don't we want to STOP the unnecessary killing of shelter animals for space? THIS is how we start to move in the direction of the areas that have become no kill. Prevent a litter, fix your critter!
I cannot fathom why we only have had TWO people take us up on this so far. I'm actually kinda ticked off! I guess that means that since NOBODY has unfixed dogs in a 26 sq. mile area that we should have NO intakes from there in the future....yeah...right. Bah!
She stated in another post that the puppies get adopted well and it's the adults that have trouble.

So then I'm looking today and this girl from another rescue is flipping out and ranting. So I check out what she (and a million other people) are ranting about. A pitbull rescue euthanized a HA dog (that had chronic demodex as well!), and is working on (with no guarantees..might be euth'd in the future) another HA dog. The comments are absolutely crazy. :eek:

It all just turns me off of it so bad. I know there are so many good people, and great rescues and great shelters...but stuff like the above just kills me.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I used to think that fixing was the way to go as well and for some people in some situations, it is. Josefina was spayed by the shelter (per their policy, I had no control over that) but I had an intact male for years before I fixed him (because that's what everyone told me I should do to "lengthen his life" once he was retired and I was under a lot of pressure from other dog professionals.

In heinsight I wish I wouldn't have done it and I am planning to try to keep my next male intact if I can ... My females will always be spayed though because I don't have the resources to deal with an intact female

Shakou

The author is an asshole, sorry. I've seen self rightiousness and snobbery coming from both people who rescue, as well as those who strictly buy from breeders. I roll my eyes at all of it, because it's ALL ridiculous and childish.

I am so fortunate to volunteer with a rescue that is understanding, flexible, and willing to work with individual needs. You live in an apartment, with no fenced in yard, and are a student with a weird schedule and have never had a dog before? As long as you have a good head on your shoulders, you're in! They will place 'easy' dogs with you and be there for constant support.

A coworker recently applied to foster for another, somewhat more rigid rescue. She is a skilled and patient dog trainer who lives on a little over an acre, away from busy roads. That's a huge resource to have as a volunteer, because she also offered to work (for free) with any of the dogs in foster care that need help with behavior problems. She was turned down because her 1.5 acre property is only fenced on 3 sides (apparently there's no such thing as longlines, tie-outs, or training a reliable recall), and because she sometimes works 6 hours days, and apparently that's way too long for a dog to be alone...

And then they write on their FB page that they are in desperate need of more foster homes. Like, what?

You may not have meant to assume this position, it could have snuck up on you (at about 90 mph) but believe me, everyone around you is rolling their eyes every time you slap on another bumper sticker or talk about your awesomeness as a human being for this immense sacrifice you’ve made.
Speaking of rolling one's eyes.... :rolleyes:

My breed of choice is awesome but I'm not sure if anybody would describe ME as "awesome", really. Inspiring "AWE" because I adopt a dog? Really? Anyway, I'm hoping nobody disses my car stickers behind my back bumper (but if you're a geocacher, I hope you have a pen) because I do believe in promoting greyhound adoption. Although we DID sacrifice the Nissan Versa for a Dodge Caravan.

But if you want to buy from a breeder, then I'll probably drool over your dog as well. I love dogs, and I love dog owners who obviously love dogs.

I think I speak for many when I say that I don't care WHERE you get your dog from, as long as it's loved and treated well.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I am somewhat horrified lately at the amount of 'lynch mobbing' going on in the rescue circles. Some of the people representing shelters, animal control facilities, and rescues are shockingly rude and nasty on social media. Guys, YOU are hurting the dogs, if it was ran more like a business and marketed better, maybe you would see an increase in adoptions, a reduction of intakes? On one facilities' facebook page, the posts are constantly just crass. She's threatened to take down the Facebook page for drama, and then goes on to say "The FB page saves so many animals, their deaths would be on you guys if I have to take it down!".

She stated in another post that the puppies get adopted well and it's the adults that have trouble.

So then I'm looking today and this girl from another rescue is flipping out and ranting. So I check out what she (and a million other people) are ranting about. A pitbull rescue euthanized a HA dog (that had chronic demodex as well!), and is working on (with no guarantees..might be euth'd in the future) another HA dog. The comments are absolutely crazy. :eek:

It all just turns me off of it so bad. I know there are so many good people, and great rescues and great shelters...but stuff like the above just kills me.
I was recently unfriended by someone on FB because I disagreed with a post they made grouping all breeders into a "part of the problem" and "only in it for the profit" group.

She totally freaked out when I (albeit gently) disagreed with her, saying that a good breeder only has one litter a year if that ... The breeders I know breed once every three years if that. And that all breeders are not created equal.

I also adopted my first adult rescue and although I love him to death, I will never get another adult dog again because (at least to me) they have too much baggage ... Plus (although I bitch about them ha ha xD ) I prefer to start fresh with a puppy.

Members online