Quick joint question (crepitus)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
When Abrams had his physical a few weeks ago, the vet mentioned that he had some mild crepitus in his rear right knee, but that his joint was stable. When I questioned her, she said she wasn't overly concerned and that it was likely due to normal wear/tear.

But, I'm paranoid, and wanted to double check and make sure that sounded like a correct assumption. He's only 17 months old, after all. Should I start him on a joint supplement now, or is she right that it is just average wear/tear and I shouldn't worry about it?

SpringerLover

Starting him on a joint supplement wouldn't be a bad idea (I'd probably go with Cosequin, because research). And I wouldn't necessarily say that crepitus is 'normal' for a 17 month old dog. But I don't know? I'd definitely keep an eye on it. Is it swollen at all (compared to his other side)?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Starting him on a joint supplement wouldn't be a bad idea (I'd probably go with Cosequin, because research). And I wouldn't necessarily say that crepitus is 'normal' for a 17 month old dog. But I don't know? I'd definitely keep an eye on it. Is it swollen at all (compared to his other side)?
Not swollen, the knee is stable, and no other symptoms/issues. The only thing I've ever noticed in regards to his joints is that he has a horrible free stack/stance, but I always assumed it was due to the fact that he still doesn't know he has back feet.

The vet that saw him is a freshly graduated vet student, and while I trust her diagnostic skills, I also feel like she is still learning her way at times.

When were back home over Christmas I may see if my old vet would just be wiling to feel him and get her opinion, but then I think I'd sound really paranoid. LOL

Members online

No members online now.